Forums » The Summoner

Will it be like EQ's magician?

• 2 posts
    April 14, 2017 2:31 PM PDT

Will the Summoner be similar to EQ's magician?

I nevered played magician in EQ, I played shaman but I always wanted to play a pet class that was on par with EQ's pet classes. Where the whole class revoles around their pet. However, in all the newer MMOs, I have been drifting through, pets are really just more like DoTs wtih legs. So I am really intrested in the Summoner class and finally filling that desire to play a true pet class. I just hope it does not trun out to be another sub mage class that is followed around by a walking DoT.  

This post was edited by Jeremiahcp at April 14, 2017 2:34 PM PDT
    • 152 posts
    April 14, 2017 3:33 PM PDT

I hope so. I hope that Mages and Necromancers are pet classes and maybe enchanters get something too. Wizards with familiars. Vanity pets for everyone...

I would think that some classes could/would get temporary pets like...Summonable for 50 seconds or something either for combat or buffs. Like maybe bards could summon a puppet that taunts for 4 seconds heavily like a string puppet or something. 

I dont know just thinking out loud! Haha!

• 455 posts
    April 16, 2017 6:17 PM PDT

I'm sure the summoner could possible be like the magician in EQ and maybe even more so since they are called "Summoners" as in they will obviously be summoning pets to aid them in battle and possibly even have certain spells that summon something for a limited time that does damage to a target like how the rain spells that had 3 waves to them, who knows but it would be interesting, but if they did i would say these certain spells probably had them around for maybe like 2-4 attacks or easily killable and caused a lot of aggro so the target would kill them off before they were like a 2nd pet.

• 82 posts
    April 22, 2017 3:50 PM PDT

Saddly we just dont know enough yet to be able to say for sure. I have hope we will see the Summoner in action on a Live stream soon. Brad spelled it wrong in the lastest video I hvae no idea why he thinks it is spelled M-O-N-K but what can I do. I also hope it is similar yet updated to the Magician from EQ as i loved that class.

• 347 posts
    May 20, 2017 8:09 AM PDT

Interesting thread today on the EQ1 official forums regarding magicians/wizards, purely providing opinions about how they're perceived in 'classic' EQ.

• 10 posts
    June 1, 2017 10:08 PM PDT

I certainly hope the Summoners would be something like the magician from EQ as that was my kind of playstyle.. maybe a mix og Beastlord and magician so we add more to the table than just mod rod summoning and weak nukes :))

Cheers all

• 10 posts
    June 2, 2017 5:29 AM PDT

@raimotion

Weak nukes..? Although I agree that it took a while before we got some of the better ones. But the bolt spell was always pretty powerful, you just had to be careful with your placement/aiming.

Anyway, we had the best Damageshield in game, our pet was second to none and heaps of useful summons :) There are few things I would change from the EQ magician if asked. Never fancied the Beastlord. So a mix of the two isn't something I would fancy :)

• 18 posts
    June 2, 2017 11:11 AM PDT

It'll probably seem rather similar. Honestly, MMOs are not the best way to play a pet class weirdly enough...an ARPG like Grim Dawn allowed you to make a really powerful pet if you wanted to sacrifice your own stats and be as far away as possible. I had mixed success in GW2 with Ranger/Druid in WvW (somehow) with my constant buffing of the pet (way too much actually)...it just didn't do enough AOE damage compared to what I could do.

I am hoping that the Summoner helps the pet (and others) rather than him/herself, which was pretty much what the EQ1 Magician was. I actually prefered the increased HP regen/AC over Wizard's personal root/snare, and nothing beats being able to off-tank one mob while destroying another mob. Summoner will most likely be the master of doing multiple things at one time due to the physical nature of their spells. Magician's were good at never needing to leave a dungeon due to always having food/drink/ammo/bandages/no-cost levitate and waterbreathing clickies and I guess bags too if the loot is too heavy before needing to gate.

I guess that's what Magician literally was, a more grounded Wizard. Using more mana to make something that will stay around and do more things over-time rather than using bursts of mana to have immediate results. Necro mana-gain felt cheap to me, and I would like it if Summoner is more about saving and using mana intelligently compared to its necro counterpart. Maybe Summoner could use/feed physical items to what they summon. A fire elemental would have a hard time existing in a cold place, but with the right items it will and it will do more damage to the cold-based enemies...obviously the EQ1 Magician is more like a base than anything to work for.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Summoner is the last class we get to know of due to our expectations. The Shaman pet looks far too simple, and as we know, we don't want another DoT pet that can tank. That and with all the physical things we are supposed to summon into the actual world, I highly doubt the crew won't have a myriad of problems finally getting it all to work. Many more problems if what we summon reacts to the world like the turrets in other games, or if they open menus and have their own AI. Other classes are self-contained at most and don't need AI, pathing, and other things. The additional pet models and animations too need to be created (possibly from scratch), although there may be a placeholder "earth elemental"...I don't want a human-looking fire elemental or a flying shark water elemental in the game proper. Most likely the pets will be similar to the enemy elementals or whatever else if they are not elementals, which is a sound decision at this stage.

• 40 posts
    June 21, 2017 4:42 PM PDT

Jeremiahcp said:

Will the Summoner be similar to EQ's magician?

I nevered played magician in EQ, I played shaman but I always wanted to play a pet class that was on par with EQ's pet classes. Where the whole class revoles around their pet. However, in all the newer MMOs, I have been drifting through, pets are really just more like DoTs wtih legs. So I am really intrested in the Summoner class and finally filling that desire to play a true pet class. I just hope it does not trun out to be another sub mage class that is followed around by a walking DoT.  

God I hope not, Summoners need to be more like Green Lantern then a gimp wizard with a pet. 

Give them their own magic school and leave elemental magic to wizards. Make Conjuration its own type of magic. Summon attack spells not just things to equip a pet. 

• 2 posts
    June 22, 2017 3:53 AM PDT

Summon attack spells?

That is what your typical wizard does. A summoner should summon gear, clickies, pets, and the like and not just be another wizard but with a gimmick. 

• 1 posts
    August 20, 2017 3:41 PM PDT

As long as they don't become what they were in the raid scene. Sitting back summoning mod rods for hours was stupid and made me hate my mage.

• 450 posts
    September 3, 2017 7:52 AM PDT

LivingCorpse said:

As long as they don't become what they were in the raid scene. Sitting back summoning mod rods for hours was stupid and made me hate my mage.

Seems rather odd, when Mages where top dps for a long time. Mass mod rods are great feature but i hardly had to spam them, when you have 4-5 doing the same.

Where you the only mage? or just pointed out to raid differently.

• 15 posts
    September 17, 2017 6:36 PM PDT

Crazzie said:

LivingCorpse said:

Seems rather odd, when Mages where top dps for a long time. Mass mod rods are great feature but i hardly had to spam them, when you have 4-5 doing the same.

Where you the only mage? or just pointed out to raid differently.

Mass Mystical Transvergence didn't enter the game until Luclin (and even then it took a long time for all to get it), so for a long time Mages were summoning individual modrods and dropping them for the other casters and clerics to use.

Mages weren't top DPS until well into EQs lifecycle. Prior to Raid Group functionality it was almost always going to be Rogues and Wizzies in the kill group.

Then when Raid Groups did come in, Mages were, for a relatively long period, marginalised when the limitation on raid numbers came in, as a result of being primarily out-of-combat utility more relevant to early game and small groups, and limited situational DPS compared to the pure damage classes. That said, eventually things shifted around, class balance went all over the show over the years, and many classes had their ups and downs.

To me, the Summoners role (and this largely applies to all classes) needs to be diverse enough to be desireable in all game situations, from early-game through end-game raid. There needs to be a benefit to incorporating a range of classes into a group or raid - stacking with The Best Tank, The Best Healer, The Best DPS class shouldn't be the most effective approach. It can be a very difficult balancing act from a design perspective, and there are so many variations to consider, especially once you start designing raid encounters and events that can be relatively complex. Add in any game mechanics that impact a classes' capability - such as resistances etc - and the task only gets worse.

Ultimately, a class needs to provide sufficient benefit while engaged in combat to have players want them there. In many MMOs, at many times, classes (frequently pet classes) have not been as viable as most other classes, typically as a way to offset their improved soloing capabilities that have been present - but there's a huge difference in balance between being better able to solo at 20, and being able to maximise raid contribution at 50 (or whatever your level cap is).

Class balance is a perennially difficult juggling act, and the more classes you have and the more complex the game mechanics the harder it becomes. I just hope that the devs here take not only their own past experiences and ideas in to account, but those of the players who fill those classes also. 

• 224 posts
    September 17, 2017 8:52 PM PDT

Personally I would be fine with them just ripping off Naruto, or something equally as ridiculous, and making a Summoning Ninja Class.  Does it really matter?  Summoner could just summon temporary equipment, and beer for the celebration after, and still have a meaningful role.  Imagining restrictions that don't exist, and trying to apply them to another fictional situation, doesn't serve much purpose.  Imagine a Summoner that could summon a suit of Ghost Armor for the entire Raid, and uses melee damage skills while in that suit of armor, rather than spells.  Or imagine that Summoner can summon a spring of mana that feeds a tank that fires nukes.  It could literally be anything.

There is no reason to assume prior limitations in other games will apply to anything moving forward with Pantheon.  None whatsoever.

This post was edited by ZennExile at September 17, 2017 8:55 PM PDT