Forums » News and Announcements

April's Newsletter is hot off the Press!

• 37 posts
    April 13, 2017 9:40 AM PDT

Yes but what is the scribe all about? 

Spell writer...?

Ari

• 1618 posts
    April 13, 2017 9:41 AM PDT

Interesting that one class, such as a scribe,  cannot do all of the scribing.  I assume with the specializations,  you may need several scribes to cover all scribing.

With the salvaging of gear, I may have a hard time deciding to sell loot or salvage for tradeskill ingredients.

• 610 posts
    April 13, 2017 2:50 PM PDT

Archaen said:

Really excited for the two streams... and nice to know a bit more about Bazgrim :)

Now for the elephant in the closet: one tradeskill only?! Didn't think it would bother me, and with all the other great crafting/harvesting news, really surprised how much this disappointed me.

However, IF crafting is developed more seriously and takes time/effort somewhat equivalent to levelling my class, then this seems very appropriate as you can't level every class with the same character either. So there's my hope restored!

I really like the crafting being restricted to one, think this helps build inter dependency in the community

• 2752 posts
    April 13, 2017 3:38 PM PDT

Sevens said:

Archaen said:

Really excited for the two streams... and nice to know a bit more about Bazgrim :)

Now for the elephant in the closet: one tradeskill only?! Didn't think it would bother me, and with all the other great crafting/harvesting news, really surprised how much this disappointed me.

However, IF crafting is developed more seriously and takes time/effort somewhat equivalent to levelling my class, then this seems very appropriate as you can't level every class with the same character either. So there's my hope restored!

I really like the crafting being restricted to one, think this helps build inter dependency in the community

Yeah I like it quite a lot, especially if crafting turns out very relevant. It never made sense to me from a lore/roleplay perspective that someone could be a master craftsman for multiple professions. How many master blacksmiths in the world have the time to also master tailoring or chemistry? None I imagine. 

• 173 posts
    April 13, 2017 3:59 PM PDT

Sevens said:

Archaen said:

I totally agree.  In Vanguard I was *the* armorsmith in our guild.  I made armor and lots of it.  However, when we built our guild hall I was but a small part of the effort that saw the completion of the hall.  My wife was the brick maker (sorry, don't remember the name of the class that did that) and she too was the only one so she literally built every brink in the hall.  Anyway to get back to the point no 1 person should be able to do it all IMHO.

Kinda interesting though since the games I've played recently allowed me to I have mastered several crafting classes on the same character but I once agian digress.  Damn i'm geeked about this game :)

• 170 posts
    April 13, 2017 4:25 PM PDT

Totally agree, awesome Newsletter VR! I hope fletching is one of the woodworking specialties, it has by far always been my favorite trade skill. If not I guess its Alchemist or Provisioner. Actually, since I will be playing this for a few years and have alts. I am sure I'll have several professions mastered. Thanks, VR can't wait to watch some streams. 

• 542 posts
    April 13, 2017 5:08 PM PDT

Looks promising so far ,happyyyy <3

Iksar said:

Yes but what is the scribe all about? 

spell related,or maybe copy nice tattoo prints on dwarven butt cheeks. Please tattoo master ,please!!

• 44 posts
    April 13, 2017 5:45 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Sevens said:

Archaen said:

Yeah I like it quite a lot, especially if crafting turns out very relevant. It never made sense to me from a lore/roleplay perspective that someone could be a master craftsman for multiple professions. How many master blacksmiths in the world have the time to also master tailoring or chemistry? None I imagine. 

I really don't like it.  Now I've got to level tons of alts just to do the other tradeskills.  Oh well.  Maybe they'll have the ability to add more tradeskills with AA's or something later on.

This post was edited by vthorm at April 13, 2017 5:49 PM PDT
    • 644 posts
    April 13, 2017 5:48 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Check out April's Newsletter! It's jam packed with stream, crafting, harvesting and perception info plus a new community spotlight member! #PRF

Wow!   I just watched the short perception video.  The zones looked beyond amazing!  and I liked the further explanation of perception and the re-affirmation for the non-dumbed-down quest style.

So, re-excited now!

• 261 posts
    April 13, 2017 6:28 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Fun Fact: 4 am Australian time! Luckily I won't have to show the bags under my eyes on stream! haha :D

Be a good chap and put a pot of coffe on...

I will watch the replay on Twitch. Little bit too early for myself to get up.

This post was edited by Boulda at April 13, 2017 6:38 PM PDT
    • 261 posts
    April 13, 2017 6:36 PM PDT

Sevens said:

Thats how EQ2 started, then the prices for raw materials got so over priced I think people just made alts to make their own source materials.

I think for a scribe you could make either the ink or the paper but another trade skill was used for the other piece. That ingredient ended up being so expensive it was easier to make an alt to make it.

I am looking forward to this though.

• 201 posts
    April 13, 2017 6:36 PM PDT

I assume scribes will do things like:

- make spell scrolls for people to learn spells from (assuming many special spells can only be learned this way and maybe special spells require a high level scribe to learn how a certain spell in a unique way/quest/chain to be able to make scrolls for others to learn it),

- create one time use scrolls for people to cast special spells outside of their class like protection from cold, or water breath etc,

- create novelty items like books for decor when housing added,

- make spell books that people need to keep their learned spells in that require higher level ones as they level up and/or bigger versions with more spell capacity to be scribed into, etc etc etc.

This post was edited by antonius at April 13, 2017 6:37 PM PDT
    • 523 posts
    April 13, 2017 7:04 PM PDT

vthorm said:

I really don't like it.  Now I've got to level tons of alts just to do the other tradeskills.  Oh well.  Maybe they'll have the ability to add more tradeskills with AA's or something later on.

Or, you could make relationships with other crafters and have it all covered.  Social game and all. 

• 97 posts
    April 13, 2017 7:22 PM PDT

vthorm said:

It will be difficult to level 1 of every crafter.  Assuming each profession has 2 specializations, that is 14 different crafters.  It does sound like there will be alot of similarties to VG with crafting and possibly harvesting though.  I am pleased by that.

• 44 posts
    April 13, 2017 7:52 PM PDT

Mathir said:

vthorm said:

Or, you could make relationships with other crafters and have it all covered.  Social game and all. 

Perhaps I was unclear.  I wasn't lamenting having to use other player crafters.  I get that it is a social game.  In fact, that's why I'm playing it.  I was lamenting that if I want to master all the tradeskills, if I want to personally experience all of them, I have to have multiple characters to do it.  Personally, I consider leveling up my tradeskills something fun to do when I can't find a group.  For me, its a solo endeavor.  Additionally, I enjoy making my character as self-reliant as possible.  Doesn't mean I don't want to group or talk to other people.  I realize that is not everyone's proverbial cup of tea though.  But I was hoping I'd have the option to level them all on one character.  We'll see what happens though.

• 44 posts
    April 13, 2017 7:54 PM PDT

Gragorie said:

vthorm said:

It will be difficult to level 1 of every crafter.  Assuming each profession has 2 specializations, that is 14 different crafters.  It does sound like there will be alot of similarties to VG with crafting and possibly harvesting though.  I am pleased by that.

I was told there would be no math.

• 9115 posts
    April 13, 2017 9:07 PM PDT

Boulda said:

Kilsin said:

Fun Fact: 4 am Australian time! Luckily I won't have to show the bags under my eyes on stream! haha :D

Be a good chap and put a pot of coffe on...

I will watch the replay on Twitch. Little bit too early for myself to get up.

Haha, will do mate ;)

• 279 posts
    April 13, 2017 9:45 PM PDT

Would a traditional Jeweler crafter fall under Outfitter?

• 43 posts
    April 14, 2017 1:33 AM PDT

So should we assume by these quotes:

"Pantheon’s crafting and harvesting in this internal pre-alpha is currently a very simple system"

" And VIPs are in for a special treat."

That we are now out of the Pre-Pre alpha phase and now in the Pre-alpha phase and those that have Pre alpha access will now brought in for testing? And since there are 2 streams that some of the VIPs will be chosen to appear in the May stream?

• 2886 posts
    April 14, 2017 3:26 AM PDT

Velrak said:

So should we assume by these quotes:

"Pantheon’s crafting and harvesting in this internal pre-alpha is currently a very simple system"

" And VIPs are in for a special treat."

That we are now out of the Pre-Pre alpha phase and now in the Pre-alpha phase and those that have Pre alpha access will now brought in for testing? And since there are 2 streams that some of the VIPs will be chosen to appear in the May stream?

No. They specifically chose the term "internal pre-alpha" because it is more clear than "Pre-Pre-Alpha" for those that are not familiar with the open development process. This newsletter gets shared around the internet quite a bit so there will be some people reading it that aren't really familiar with their terminology. The fact that he said "internal" definitely means that it's not open to outside testers.

The special treat for VIPs is referring to the developer roundtable. I can understand the confusion though. We are all anxious for Pre-Alpha so it's easy to look for any little hint about it. But VR said to not expect any Pre-Alpha announcement during the streams or roundtable. It will be abundantly clear when the official Pre-Alpha does start. No assumptions necessary haha

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 14, 2017 3:39 AM PDT
    • 624 posts
    April 14, 2017 4:11 AM PDT

Great newsletter VRi, thanks for the update.  Thoroughly enjoyed reading Corey's thoughts on the current state of crafting / harvesting.  Bard instruments (*hint hint*) could easily fall under several trades, I am excited.

Oh, and getting a deeper peek at Bazgrim, Dwarven Cleric and Clarifier of Community Confusion (*see above*), was a real treat.  I am glad he has the time and patience to help keep us crazy cats grounded with "just the facts, mam", as the anticipation drives us off the path into the weeds.  Kilsin can't be everywhere at once.

This post was edited by Kumu at April 14, 2017 4:12 AM PDT
    • 157 posts
    April 14, 2017 6:03 AM PDT

My question is how crafting levels and advancement will work after someone decides to make a progeny. Crafting skill levels go poof? or perhaps gain a bonus to the tradeskill your progenitor leveled up?

• 16 posts
    April 14, 2017 6:32 AM PDT

I like the idea of one tradeskill per character.  It increases the value of having someone with a particular tradeskill imho.  I think any argument that someone wants to be able to experience all tradeskills on one character is akin to somone saying I'd like to be able to Tank, Heal, DPS, Port and crowd control with one character.  Keeping the tradeskillers distinct with specialities will give those people a sense of worth and accomplishment once they master it.  Keep up the great work VR.  Love the perception video too. 

• 9115 posts
    April 14, 2017 6:35 AM PDT

Lokispawn said:

My question is how crafting levels and advancement will work after someone decides to make a progeny. Crafting skill levels go poof? or perhaps gain a bonus to the tradeskill your progenitor leveled up?

This is where we can play around with genes, traits and pass down family knowledge like master blacksmith blueprints, perma bonus exp gain, access to previous recipes and crafting schematics etc. most of this stuff has no affect on adventuring and combat but we will have to be careful to watch the economy, but yeah, essentially if you Progeny as a Master Crafter you could start fresh as a level 1 with a lot fo that experience and knowledge ready to go right away to then maybe help you improve even more and give access to even better things within that crafting profession but more on Progeny later, it is a big, in-depth system that needs a lot of explaining and tied in with many other systems, features and mechanics. :)

• 34 posts
    April 14, 2017 8:39 AM PDT

I really liked the perception video. Getting quests like that gave me good Ultima 7 type memories.  Visually the game looked great too!

Awesome work, as always, to the team.