Forums » The Paladin

Elves can't be Paladins?

• 26 posts
    April 6, 2017 1:17 AM PDT

In EQ Elves can be Paladins. In fact they were the poster Paladins for the game. How can you make a game that's honoring old EQ and not have Elves be able to role as Paladins? Paladins are severely limited in their race choices currently. Please don't let this be an unpopular class like it was in EQ.

This post was edited by Draulius at April 6, 2017 4:35 AM PDT
    • 26 posts
    April 6, 2017 1:20 AM PDT

Also I guess this would mean they could be Clerics too. Am I missing something in the lore here? Any GOOD (not neutral) aligned race should be able to play Paladin.

• 54 posts
    April 6, 2017 3:30 AM PDT

In my view, elves are frail, subtle beings, with an aversion for brute force and bloodbath. So it doesn't surprise me them not being able to perform melee classes based on brute force like paladins. Same goes for warrior or whatever melee class based on strengh.

Cheers

• 26 posts
    April 6, 2017 4:28 AM PDT

Gideon said:

In my view, elves are frail, subtle beings, with an aversion for brute force and bloodbath. So it doesn't surprise me them not being able to perform melee classes based on brute force like paladins. Same goes for warrior or whatever melee class based on strengh.

Cheers

You don't need to be very strong to use a blade more effectively. In fact Elves can use their speed and agility when fighting with weapons, which is just as effective if not more effective than raw strength alone. Realistically speaking anyway.

Paladins avoid bloodshed whenever possible, but resort to it (usually regretfully) when they have no other choice or when some form of evil must be purged. They also use magic which Elves are often good at.

This post was edited by Draulius at April 6, 2017 5:21 AM PDT
    • 176 posts
    April 6, 2017 6:15 AM PDT

There is already a post on this topic. ;)

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5347/paladin-race-class-picture

• 2262 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:41 AM PDT

In short, yes, you are missing something from the lore lol. Forget what you know about EQ for a moment and look deeper into the original lore of Pantheon...

From the Loremaster himself:

"Another hot button issue was that of the lack of a Cleric or Paladin class available to our Elves. While the superficial answer of “think of them as wood elves, not high elves” makes sense to most veteran gamers, there is a deeper lore meaning behind that rationale. Justin explained that the races that were prone to produce Clerics and Paladins were ones that were deeply connected to their deities, and that relationship was one that was central to their daily lives. The Elves are a bit different in that regard.

“While their pantheon is important to the Elves, their response to several tragic and divisive historical moments has superseded the way they see themselves. To a degree Elves have become more ideological than religious. While some races are separated into different factions based on which deity they worship, Elves are split between two extremes (Ashen and Ember) and the nominal middle called Lucent. Those division represent the way they think is best to protect and prosper their people. Is it interwoven with their worship? Yes. But faith isn’t the first-thought focus of their life. It’s fair to ask if that is an imbalance for them”

It is also important to note that many of the lore based decisions on which race can be which class are also dictated to some degree by overall game representations and balance, and more importantly that just because something is currently so, doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t change in the future. Elves are a good example here, as while they currently don’t produce the pious classes, they may, through future events or interactions, develop a sect that takes up that mantle.

We will have to keep a close watch on the lore to see what might develop in the future."

Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2017_march_loremaster/

There was also a lot of discussion about it here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5228/pantheon-class-and-race-combinations

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 6, 2017 7:46 AM PDT
    • 493 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:42 PM PDT

Thanks Bazgrim, I was looking for that post :D

This post was edited by Dreconic at April 6, 2017 8:45 PM PDT
    • 2262 posts
    April 7, 2017 2:28 AM PDT

Dreconic said:

Thanks Bazgrim, I was looking for that post :D

My pleasure!

• 297 posts
    April 17, 2017 3:45 PM PDT

My Dwarven Paladin scoffs at the notion of a high-elf paladin! Muhahahahaha!!

• 66 posts
    April 23, 2017 6:36 PM PDT

Sounds good on lore paper and all... can we write in there just a little snippit or something nice about those elf paladins about how there was an ancient sect of pure and devourt line of elven people (elves) eradicating and riding evil from off the face of Terminus an elven race learned in the paths of chaotic good paladins or whatever were kept in tact through the ages or at very least about the only last suriving High-elf Paladin named Leowna in the world of Terminus? That would be fine I guess! The dwarfs have conspired aginst us I just know it! Dwarf if you stood but just a little higher I could alleviate this problem! Probably in league with those filthy mouth breathing Dire Lords that has already courrupted four races aready! So much evil to conquer already!

• 1522 posts
    April 23, 2017 6:41 PM PDT

Hey! Dwarves may be short conspirators, but dont let their mud taint the honorable heritage of Dire Lords.