Forums » The Wizard

Burst Vs Sustained DPS - Options

• 25 posts
    April 5, 2017 7:00 AM PDT

First some quick background and topic clarity.

I thought classic EQ Wizards great up until Kurnak at which point they transitioned into what was in my opinion a sub-par class.  No doubt things changed with later expansions, but I never got beyond Velious.  Without an extended rant the core in my view is burst Vs sustained damage capability.  As mob HP gets higher the effectiveness of burst dps is deminished and sustained dps become far more appealing.

Please don't get me wrong, I feel Wizards should be burst oriented and weak with sustained dps - it is all a matter of degree.  One of the reasons, I believe, Wizard burst dps did not scale in Kurnak in line with Mob HP evenly was this could easily make Wizards far too overpowered.  

Topic idea: Separate spell lines / tools focused on burst and sustained respectively.

I think a line of spells that are very very mana efficient - on long cool downs - would serve to anchor our sustained dps level.  We would be able to float at 90% mana and use these to contribute dps at our mana regen rate at an appropriate level without draining our mana reserve and comproming what I see as our core role: An emergancy tactical dps dump for the team.  We could then use our traditional mana hungry spells to burn when needed, depleating our resources appropriately.

There are other options - perhaps a way to buff other party memebers to improve their damage, maybe with element specific weapon buffs?  This also serves to keep us humble solo and avoid risk of becoming overpowered.

Of course, class design for Pantheon may vary greatly from classic EQ and there may be no issues.

I am a very social player by nature, and love grouping / camping with folks.  I was saddened back in the day that my favourate class was not desirable for the social camping scene beyond a certain point and would love to avoid a repeat.

What ideas do you have in regard to sustained Vs burst damage options, or group contribution while social camping?

• 41 posts
    April 5, 2017 8:48 AM PDT

I have also mained a wizard/sorcerer in most games I've played, and I agree that the developers should by all means avoid a class being sidelined for whatever reason, be it sub-par performance for its typical role, becoming unnecessary due to the ability to bypass mechanics (e.g. boss "burns") or other.

With regard to DPS sustainability, I'm hoping every class played correctly will be able to obtain roughly the same numbers over the course of a fight, even if the tools to get there are different from class to class. But I also wouldn't like a class to become so dependent on consumables such as mana pots that every raid becomes a huge gold sink - unless other classes get the same treatment, of course ;)

• 25 posts
    April 5, 2017 9:02 AM PDT

Mana pots! *shudder*

I hope Pantheon doesn't have them!

• 8 posts
    April 17, 2017 10:49 PM PDT

I like the way DDO handled this, and it was rather simple but elegant. Ranged weapon attacks.

Why not just give wizards staffs/wands the ability to do damage in an "auto attack" manner. This both gives them sustained dps (albiet i would assume less than melee, at the benfit of range) and burst dps for when they are actually casting spells (i would assume casting would delay staff attacks).

You could just tailor the range and root breaking ability of these weapons so as not to become lumi staffs (eq ref).

• 502 posts
    April 18, 2017 10:50 AM PDT

I'd prefer it to be in the hands of the player by making use of the living codex to tailor their spells to how they want to play. If you want to make your spells massive damage but with long cast time/cooldown/or high mana cost then it should be an option, and it should be just as efficient as throwing out however many fast casting low damage spells that can be cast in the same time. 

Some people like pressing buttons all the time, others like myself are more content just dropping occasional big bombs and being able to see a sizeable chunk of mob HP drop off. 

• 25 posts
    April 20, 2017 11:59 AM PDT

Iksar said:

Some people like pressing buttons all the time, others like myself are more content just dropping occasional big bombs and being able to see a sizeable chunk of mob HP drop off. 

Yes, me too.  I liked the traditional Wizard playstyle, and would like to see that maintained.

The only concern I have is the risk of being sidelined in the social camping scene if the class is considered to contribute less.  Time will tell.  

The dev team have acknowledged this concern, which is fantastic, and I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

This post was edited by Rykath at April 20, 2017 12:00 PM PDT
    • 310 posts
    April 20, 2017 2:52 PM PDT

I also like my Wizard to be a bit traditional. I do like many of the Ideas in Syntro's Post "Masters of time and space" in this section of the forum. 

I always wished my Wizard had a Slider that could be used to adjust the power and Mana usage of the spells I was casting. I slide my slider to 50%, and everything cast would use half the Mana , Cause Half the Aggro, and Cause half the damage. It would be adjustable from 25% to Full Power. That could solve some of the lacking finesse in Wizard casting. After all a Wizard is a Master of Casting Spells and throttling the power would be a simple thing.

This Idea would allow a Wizard to play as a steady damage dealer with lower output if needed: or as the very Important Role of Insurance Policy, when things go bad and real power has to be brought into play for a short time.

This post was edited by Skycaster at April 20, 2017 2:53 PM PDT
    • 364 posts
    April 20, 2017 5:42 PM PDT

Skycaster said:

I also like my Wizard to be a bit traditional. I do like many of the Ideas in Syntro's Post "Masters of time and space" in this section of the forum. 

I always wished my Wizard had a Slider that could be used to adjust the power and Mana usage of the spells I was casting. I slide my slider to 50%, and everything cast would use half the Mana , Cause Half the Aggro, and Cause half the damage. It would be adjustable from 25% to Full Power. That could solve some of the lacking finesse in Wizard casting. After all a Wizard is a Master of Casting Spells and throttling the power would be a simple thing.

This Idea would allow a Wizard to play as a steady damage dealer with lower output if needed: or as the very Important Role of Insurance Policy, when things go bad and real power has to be brought into play for a short time.

Thats a cool idea with the ability to change the damage / mana / cast time of a spell on the fly.. maybe this could be as simple as pressing the spell again during the cast time to end the spell and drop the bomb at that point with the reduced mana cost and damage.

This would also be a really useful tool for enchanters who want to do a short Mez and dont want to burn a big chunk of mana using mez at full power.