Forums » Pantheon Lore

Racial Life Spans?

• 126 posts
    March 18, 2017 7:55 AM PDT

My usual assumption is that it's way too early for answers, but hey, what's the harm in asking!?

Do we have any information (or can we prease get information) on how long lived the different races are?

There's a decent amount of precendent for most of the races we see, but then there are some outliers such as the Gnomes. How long would a Gnome live? Do they die? O_O Also, since VR is trying to really differentiate this world from others, for all we know, Elves could have shorter life spans than humans!

What do you guys think?

• 1722 posts
    March 18, 2017 11:23 AM PDT

Once I start my Ogre, the elven life expectancy will drop dramatically. 

• 1178 posts
    March 18, 2017 1:38 PM PDT

Temmi said:

My usual assumption is that it's way too early for answers, but hey, what's the harm in asking!?

Do we have any information (or can we prease get information) on how long lived the different races are?

There's a decent amount of precendent for most of the races we see, but then there are some outliers such as the Gnomes. How long would a Gnome live? Do they die? O_O Also, since VR is trying to really differentiate this world from others, for all we know, Elves could have shorter life spans than humans!

What do you guys think?

I always thought it would be cool for someone to do this.  I'm sure it's been done, but I havan't stumbled upon it yet.  Having the human race be senior to the elven race would be sweet also.

• 3 posts
    March 18, 2017 6:45 PM PDT

So I read this question in two different ways. 

A. Are you asking just for like the lore?

B. Are you asking if our characters actually have a set amount of in-game time (depending on the race) before they croak and become unplayable?

• 3814 posts
    March 18, 2017 6:55 PM PDT

Rasta said:

So I read this question in two different ways. 

A. Are you asking just for like the lore?

B. Are you asking if our characters actually have a set amount of in-game time (depending on the race) before they croak and become unplayable?

I believe she is asking more in regards to the lore of the races. Player characters will not die of natural causes or become unplayable. That is a feature of Chronicles of Elyria, not Pantheon. But of course for the sake of good storytelling, NPCs would have to have some sort of life expectancy. However, in discussions of the Progeny system, I do seem to remember some mention of possibly having player characters change slightly over time, whether in appearance or statistics, but never to the point of becoming unplayable. But it does seem like they age in a sense and reach a point where they are able to "retire" and have their legacy carried out through their offspring or something like that. But of course no confirmed details of the Progeny system have been released yet.

• 3091 posts
    March 18, 2017 8:00 PM PDT

Beefcake said:

Once I start my Ogre, the elven life expectancy will drop dramatically. 

LOL! good I haven't chosen any elves to play hehehe

• 3091 posts
    March 18, 2017 8:01 PM PDT

Shucklighter said:

Temmi said:

What do you guys think?

I always thought it would be cool for someone to do this.  I'm sure it's been done, but I havan't stumbled upon it yet.  Having the human race be senior to the elven race would be sweet also.

Isn't it the usual lore (read this some place might have been one of the Tolkien books)  that elves outlive humans?  :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at March 18, 2017 8:02 PM PDT
    • 126 posts
    March 19, 2017 6:10 AM PDT

It's pretty usual for elves to outlive humans, yes. But, for example, in the universe of FFXIV, Elezen (the elven-ish race), have the same life span as Hyur. Actually, in that game, for whatever reason, all of the races have very similar life expectansies.

And yes, I was asking in regards to the lore, not the mechanics. :)

• 296 posts
    March 23, 2017 8:44 PM PDT

Hmm, good question Temmi. Obviously for meta-game reasons I can't just outright tell you that right here, but there is something in the pipeline where maybe we could portray a few of them. Thanks for the inspiration!

• 126 posts
    August 27, 2017 3:26 AM PDT

Are Gnomes even biological?

If they aren't, are their lifespans incredibly long since they presumably don't suffer from any malady of the flesh? Or is their lifespan much shorter because the energy within their "bodies" disperses easily?

I didn't realize the potential for this, but it is highly fascinating (I'm still speaking in regards to lore and flavor, not game mechanics).

• 296 posts
    August 28, 2017 7:07 PM PDT

From a lore perspective the published Gnome page describes the process by which they became incorporeal, so I'd go with gnomes as technically non-biological. Obviously I've been away for some time, but that's definitely true. IIRC nothing in public lore one way or the other about their actual lifespans.

• 67 posts
    February 8, 2018 11:24 AM PST

The Halfling lore says that they are unaging, being technically immortal by the same curse that cut their maturation. So if you want to pick the longest lived race, at best it's going to tie Halflings.

• 88 posts
    February 25, 2018 6:02 PM PST
    @Darchias
    I dunno man, maybe not.
    Technically the Halflings and perhaps even the Gnomes are not in their "normal" life stasis. Something in between or else is where I picture their current life cycle.

They are almost on pause at the moment, leaving to door open in future expansions to maybe, "fix" or restore them to their original forms and life cycles.
    Skar may also be in that mix somewhere. How has their life span been affected by the curse Vs original form.
    • 1014 posts
    April 12, 2018 1:11 PM PDT

Most of the races are kind of cut and paste if based on other games but here we are.  The ones I am finding interesting may be the Archai and the Gnomes.   The Archai have the ability to use the world around them possibly granting longer life.  The use of minerals and possibly elemental energy could prolong life.  Still and unknown but pretty darn cool.  

Now, the Gnomes are a wild card.  In terms of life spans and their ability to use magic like no other race on Terminus may make them the immortals of Terminus.  They may have the ability to live multiple life spans as they are beings of magic.  Their physical bodies are vassal’s and quit possibly when it gets damaged or old they replace it.   In tern the may outlive the Elves that are known for long life and immortality in some games.   

Ox