Forums » Expansion Classes

Necromancers

• 17 posts
    August 31, 2018 11:15 AM PDT

My favorite class from Everquest ("evercrack"} and better than any other mmo class, my opinion of course, and probably most hated/jealous of all classes in eq until mages could solo better as a class at higher levels in later expansions- I  will be playing filler class(s) until then.  FYI-I started playing EQ1 when Kunark came out and my iksar sk was my 2nd favorite pseudo but tanking wanna-be plate -wearing- necro who could also solo content better than most, each had their pros/cons as far as survivability, etc. But regardless, necro still my favorite class, and the closest I came outside of mmo genre would be the "undead/banned" line/spellschool of spells in the older Elder Scrolls RPG's.

But I have found that if any class because too successful ( i/e i know how to use my class better than you) , people get jealous, the community starts to complain, and then they nerf said class to make the majority happy because 1) they just not successful at that class 2) their own class was not meant to solo that particular mob. Maybe a sort of balancing goes out in other ways...your class is understood by others better so invited to group so can get into content I cant? it doesnt mean that either scenario is bad in itself. Can of course balance it so that i could get into that group because of utility spells that are much more useful in group and is limited by my/your spellbar during combat?

This post was edited by Brendiven at August 31, 2018 11:22 AM PDT
    • 56 posts
    September 11, 2018 11:51 AM PDT

Spells like Creeping Crud.

• 236 posts
    October 5, 2018 9:36 AM PDT

I will be very happy to see the necromancer be added into the class lineup. This being one of my favorite classes to play and one that I played the most back in the day. Hopefully they will keep each class somewhat pure, "You want me to rez you? sure, I will raise your cold dead corpse into a enslaved minion who will for once listen." A necromancer is a master/mistress of death, a puppeteer of mayhem, and possibly the most violent dps machine. I was ne'er a big advocate for trying to make the necromancer a healer or mana battery, that's what the cleric is for and it looks to me that they have built into the game several different ways to regenerate mana. If the tank cannot deal with stacked dots and keep aggro, migth be time to find a new tank. Of course we all know about opinions. ymmv.

From what I have seen and read so far, the dev team will do fabulous.

cheers.

This post was edited by renartlefox at October 9, 2018 8:35 AM PDT
    • 326 posts
    October 9, 2018 1:59 AM PDT

I realized all I really want is the Diablo II necromancer.

• 1 posts
    November 6, 2018 2:55 PM PST

Add my name to the list of people who want an EQ style Necromancer with DoTs, Slows, Fears, and diverse Pets.

• 1 posts
    November 16, 2018 2:35 AM PST

I'm also looking forward to the addition of necromancer. Here's to hoping it's not too long a wait after launch..

• 4 posts
    November 27, 2018 7:14 PM PST

In my opinion, the Necromancer that fit best for me was Diablo II's. You can be an overlord with vaiorious skeletons, a golem (3 types to chose), and revived creatures that lasted for a period of time. The other choice was curses to debuff your enemy while buffing your minnions, or using bone and poisin based spells for personal damage. All of these varied options fit for me the ideal Necromancer. The only thing that I did not like was the AI of the skeletons/revives/minnions. Other than summoning them, you had no control over what they did/were doing. The only "exception" was using teleport from Engima (runeword armor) in which all your minnions/summons would stack on you and when you would teleport the AI would kick in and the minnions essentially were forced to target the very closest thing to them.

My suggestion would be to have a system like City of Heroes/Villains did for the Mastermind class. Your whole class was large number of pets, with 3 unique groups. Effectively, fodder, bodyguards, and caption. The fodder varied between 3 and 5 "base" pets that were basically like your meatshield and had taunt abilities. Their damage was good, but not great. They were essential to protect the next two tiers of pets you had. Your bodyguards were the next tier high damage, certain special abilities such as debuffing or providing auras for all your pets, You only had 2 of these at a time. The last tier would be captain, basically a single pet that was almost like another player. High damage or (in the case of Pantheon) possessing Epic abilities (or a single ability), permanent mezz of a target, extreme damage to a single target, the list could go on and on as to what Epic ability they would be given. 

You could not individually control each minnion but you could control each group so you effectively had 3 groups to work with. My macros included selecting one for each pet group (3 macros), a "group all" macro to one button select all of them (1 macro), and then the "attack" macro for each pet group (3 macros), and the "all attack" that all the groups attack the one target (1 macro). It seems a little redudant but with all these I could easily manage them, buff individual groups (or all groups), call them back to me, or only certain groups back to me. It was incredibly fun and I could also support the party by crowd control, mezzing, heals. I would like to see a similar system in place for the Necromancer.

As much as I enjoyed bone and poison magic in Diablo II; I think we should tone down on the Necromancer as a "undead wizard". I am okay with Life Tap or Curse type abilities, but I think at it's core a Necromancer is all about raising the dead and forming an army of the dead. I can definitely agree they should have a group resurrect for support/utility and they are the "masters of life and death" so let them fill that role.

This post was edited by Berlock at November 27, 2018 9:39 PM PST
    • 3 posts
    December 3, 2018 8:50 AM PST

The Necro has always been my one great love throughout my journey as an eq player having played one since the beginning in eq.  I am interested to see them come alive in Pantheon and what direction they take us.