Forums » Pantheon Lore

Lore Intentionally "Young"?

• 29 posts
    May 3, 2017 11:52 AM PDT

It seems to me like OUR story is the only "young" part of this adventure. Terminus has been around for who knows how long, and it's been made clear that the natural inhabitants are far older than the playable races.

I think the story was designed this way for 2 different reasons:

1. To be able to build a new story from our perspectives and the new races, who all have completely different backstories and lore that isn't reliant on Terminus' backstory or lore.

2. To be able to discover why we're really here, what really happened to bring is here, and what really lies on the future that we're going to have to deal with, as well as Terminus' past.

It's actually really cool. I love all of the unanswered questions and mystery behind it.

• 25 posts
    September 1, 2017 5:37 AM PDT

Jimmayus said:

- like a quasi global society that can support a large class of murder hobos who fight monsters -

best description of mmo players I've ever read.

• 251 posts
    September 22, 2017 10:36 PM PDT

The Gnome are not so evolved as to resist the temptation of Dark Power.  True Power is unfettered by notions of Balance.  And the Light quivers as a candle's flame before Darkness.  One of the Gnome themselves was likely responsible for unifying the Darkness contained within Terminus.  The Darkness contained within all worlds, deposited alongside the Light, and segregated by necessity.  The empty madness of the Void manifests itself as pure energy.  Just as the Gnome themselves have evolved to do.  So near ascension, yet still bound to this reality by their own Will.  They, who are bathed in pure Light, and saturated in ancient Will.

What I am trying to say is, nothing tastes quite like Gnome.  (insert maniacal laughter and Pie meme)

This post was edited by ZennExile at September 22, 2017 10:37 PM PDT
    • 27 posts
    May 1, 2018 8:38 AM PDT

This post lays out the history: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5306/a-consolidated-timeline-of-terminus/view/page/1

The time increments are indeed very short, very “young”. 300 years is nothing at all in terms of cultural history, for that matter neither is 1000 years...in the grand scheme of things. If an alien race landed on planet earth 300 years ago, it would still to this day occupy the consciousness of our every waking hour. It would change the face of human culture, all but entirely. Now, obviously all of this is debatable, but having studied Archaeology and Cultural Anthropology… this is my best guess. There are dozens of examples of this, if we take colonization as an analogy for sudden and forced cultural collision.

I feel like the timeline is short, almost unbelievably so. It does succeed in providing a sense of urgency however. But it also makes the world feel small, and crowded, and chaotic. Given the choice, I’d spread out the timeline somewhat (adding several thousands of years, or more).

This post was edited by Finbar at May 1, 2018 8:40 AM PDT