Forums » The Dire Lord

Why I don't like pets

• 125 posts
    March 5, 2017 6:19 AM PST

I alwyas hated when my character was buffed by my pet, because in any serious encounter, my pet was dead from an aoe within 30 seconds. When you are mainly a raider, this was a real pain.......Ceythos, look here, look here ;)

By the way, really glad you are part of the Pantheon team.

• 52 posts
    March 6, 2017 9:26 AM PST
    I like pets. A lot. But I like them on caster classes or ranged classes. Not melee so much.

My first max level EQ toon was a Shadow Knight. I really felt the pet was pointless. My next max level was a Necro and the pet was priceless.

But for the Direlord (or a raiding Necro) I would love to seen a new pet type. Maybe have all the EQ style pets, but then also have one that is just like a wisp or spirit. Something that buffs the player rather than running into melee.
    • 28 posts
    March 6, 2017 10:34 AM PST

I think skeletal archers or skeletal mages would be awesome as well.

• 125 posts
    March 6, 2017 1:46 PM PST

Kurgon999 said: I like pets. A lot. But I like them on caster classes or ranged classes. Not melee so much. My first max level EQ toon was a Shadow Knight. I really felt the pet was pointless. My next max level was a Necro and the pet was priceless. But for the Direlord (or a raiding Necro) I would love to seen a new pet type. Maybe have all the EQ style pets, but then also have one that is just like a wisp or spirit. Something that buffs the player rather than running into melee.

The wisp thing sounds like a good idea. Used to be so disappointing to have your pet have abilities to aid your character and he died within 30 secs.

• 153 posts
    March 6, 2017 9:16 PM PST

Agreed on the 'ethereal' types of pets. As a 'fear based class' I would love to see ghosts, ghasts, wraiths, shadows etc, flit in and out of combat and inflict debuffs on the target or maybe even steal buffs to grant to the DL. Something to distinguish the DL from other pet based classes. We don't need a tank pet and we don't really need to add DPS (the little pet does), so revolving it around debuffing and buff theft would fit the DL theme perfectly. 

• 65 posts
    April 7, 2017 12:00 AM PDT

When i got my first pet as a 20 something Shadowknight i was so happy. I spent hours just learning how to control him so i could kite mobs better. Granted a lot of negitives went along with that processes. The only thing i would ask if given the oppertunity of having another pet is let this one be a proc or timed on a killer blow rather than something we just summon out of thin air with a bone chip. I hated farming them and hated paying for them even more.

Please dont make a wisp pet ......i am not a druid thank you very much!

• 11 posts
    May 1, 2017 4:02 PM PDT
    I never played the EQ SK, I did the PAL and MAG mostly then the WoW Blood DK, I am planning to play a Dire Lord as my primary and while I'm not used to having a pet with this class type I am interested in what it could mean.

I think a pet who's aggro generation was pushed to the DL and increased his ability to hold aggro would be cool. Not sure that a constant pet for add'l DPS is needed as the game is being built with a group content focus vice soloing... Perhaps the one of the lifetap/leach effects draws from the life force of your pet by default so to heal yourself you must sacrifice your pet.
    • 125 posts
    May 6, 2017 9:59 AM PDT

Hodor said: I never played the EQ SK, I did the PAL and MAG mostly then the WoW Blood DK, I am planning to play a Dire Lord as my primary and while I'm not used to having a pet with this class type I am interested in what it could mean. I think a pet who's aggro generation was pushed to the DL and increased his ability to hold aggro would be cool. Not sure that a constant pet for add'l DPS is needed as the game is being built with a group content focus vice soloing... Perhaps the one of the lifetap/leach effects draws from the life force of your pet by default so to heal yourself you must sacrifice your pet.

Your ideas are similar to what we had in Vg. My problem with them remains, your pet won't live on high end encounters. I do like the idea of the ethereal pet that doesn't take damage, but it would have to push more hate to the DK than it generated via dps or some might be tempted to solo raid content with our unkillable pet.

• 596 posts
    May 7, 2017 1:15 PM PDT

Filzin said:

Hodor said: I never played the EQ SK, I did the PAL and MAG mostly then the WoW Blood DK, I am planning to play a Dire Lord as my primary and while I'm not used to having a pet with this class type I am interested in what it could mean. I think a pet who's aggro generation was pushed to the DL and increased his ability to hold aggro would be cool. Not sure that a constant pet for add'l DPS is needed as the game is being built with a group content focus vice soloing... Perhaps the one of the lifetap/leach effects draws from the life force of your pet by default so to heal yourself you must sacrifice your pet.

Your ideas are similar to what we had in Vg. My problem with them remains, your pet won't live on high end encounters. I do like the idea of the ethereal pet that doesn't take damage, but it would have to push more hate to the DK than it generated via dps or some might be tempted to solo raid content with our unkillable pet.

well if it cant be killed than it shouldn't be targetable either switch means it will never take aggro, or do anything but maybe buff you if they went in this direction basically just be a buff you can see.

• 11 posts
    May 9, 2017 3:46 AM PDT

Didn't ever play VG so I would need to see some gameplay. 

bt

Warwizard... can we just see some DL action. 

• 46 posts
    May 10, 2017 8:44 AM PDT

Glad to see I'm in company with so many other like-minded dire lords. :)

I too have never been a fan of a clumsy pet that easily dies and barely dishes out damage, nor have I enjoyed pets while being a melee (martial) class. Temporary pets that are meaningful in your decision to bring them out? Ethereal esque "DoT" pets for a particular specialization? Sure! But I really do hope the dire lord, like the EverQuest 1 shadow knight, doesn't have a feeble pet. Being able to "exploit" the pet to pull or something was fun, but not at the expense at making the core class weaker. No thank you.

• 6 posts
    May 26, 2017 8:40 PM PDT

Filzin said:

I alwyas hated when my character was buffed by my pet, because in any serious encounter, my pet was dead from an aoe within 30 seconds. When you are mainly a raider, this was a real pain.......Ceythos, look here, look here ;)

Um, so, we should not get a pet, because in a very specific situation you did not like that it would die? Of course it should die on a dragon AE, that makes sense.

But for the other 98% of the game, leveling, soloing, grouping the pet was actually good.

Kurgon999 said: I like pets. A lot. But I like them on caster classes or ranged classes. Not melee so much. My first max level EQ toon was a Shadow Knight. I really felt the pet was pointless. My next max level was a Necro and the pet was priceless. But for the Direlord (or a raiding Necro) I would love to seen a new pet type. Maybe have all the EQ style pets, but then also have one that is just like a wisp or spirit. Something that buffs the player rather than running into melee.

Pointless? A max level SK pet in classic (up to Velious) quads for 47's, bashes, lifetaps, and has over 1500 hitpoints. It can be used in many ways; utility, speedbumping, split pulling, extra dps (when you had a max summon pet it could actully do near half the dps of a non-raiding SK's melee) I can share logs, as I still play on P99.

What you want is a familiar, part of the reason the SK pet was balanced for people that used them to their full potential was because you had to manage the pet, and was fragile in some situations, this was the tradeoff. I don't want a pet that is a floaty plastic bag in the wind buffing me...

This post was edited by Shadowknight at May 26, 2017 8:41 PM PDT
    • 125 posts
    May 27, 2017 5:34 AM PDT

Shadowknight said:

Filzin said:

Um, so, we should not get a pet, because in a very specific situation you did not like that it would die? Of course it should die on a dragon AE, that makes sense.

But for the other 98% of the game, leveling, soloing, grouping the pet was actually good.

Pointless? A max level SK pet in classic (up to Velious) quads for 47's, bashes, lifetaps, and has over 1500 hitpoints. It can be used in many ways; utility, speedbumping, split pulling, extra dps (when you had a max summon pet it could actully do near half the dps of a non-raiding SK's melee) I can share logs, as I still play on P99.

What you want is a familiar, part of the reason the SK pet was balanced for people that used them to their full potential was because you had to manage the pet, and was fragile in some situations, this was the tradeoff. I don't want a pet that is a floaty plastic bag in the wind buffing me...

Did I say you shouldn't get a pet? I merely stated my opinion that was formed from my experience in Vanguard.

• 7 posts
    November 11, 2017 5:53 AM PST

I like pets.  I especially like the SK pet.  It was weak but useful.  Sure gathering bones was a pain in the rear.  But I like the responsibility of knowing when and when not to use it.  Like any other character in the game, it should be vulnerable.  In the case of the SK it was a green con weak pet that dished out a slight amount of damage.  It couldn't tank for long but it could distract long enough for a timely escape plan when needed.  I don't like pets that are just there for buffs, dot, etc.  They shouldn't be incorporeal or immune to death.  That's the life of a pet class.  Otherwise, why not just have familiars instead of pets.

• 125 posts
    November 12, 2017 8:25 AM PST

My perspective is that of a raider. I just don't want my class balanced based on a pet that will be dead 15 seconds after engagement, which was a bit of the case in Vanguard.

• 33 posts
    November 14, 2017 2:00 PM PST

I think the way to fix the problem is that there should be more variety in pets.  Some pets should be better suited to a particular fight than others.  For example, while soloing a skeletons, the Summoner may be better off summoning a Stone Golem which does high bludgeoning damage and is resistant to damage, but can easily be killed by magic and especially vulnerable to cold magic.  The Summoner wants to raid a boss that cast an area of effect cold spell.  He dismisses his Stone Golem and summons a Wind Elemental that is immune to cold damage.  With proper positioning, and waiting for the tank to get agro first, he can maximize his DPS.  A different fight may have a boss that has an area of effect poison and can rampage.  The Summoner dismisses his wind elemental and summons a Diamond Golem.  The Diamond Golem is immune to poison and disease and can reflect spell damage back at the caster.  The Summoner calls his pet back when the boss is ready to rampage to avoid it getting killed.

• 460 posts
    November 14, 2017 2:03 PM PST

metteec said:

I think the way to fix the problem is that there should be more variety in pets.  Some pets should be better suited to a particular fight than others.  For example, while soloing a skeletons, the Summoner may be better off summoning a Stone Golem which does high bludgeoning damage and is resistant to damage, but can easily be killed by magic and especially vulnerable to cold magic.  The Summoner wants to raid a boss that cast an area of effect cold spell.  He dismisses his Stone Golem and summons a Wind Elemental that is immune to cold damage.  With proper positioning, and waiting for the tank to get agro first, he can maximize his DPS.  A different fight may have a boss that has an area of effect poison and can rampage.  The Summoner dismisses his wind elemental and summons a Diamond Golem.  The Diamond Golem is immune to poison and disease and can reflect spell damage back at the caster.  The Summoner calls his pet back when the boss is ready to rampage to avoid it getting killed.

This is a direlord pet discussion though.  They won't have those options.

• 1151 posts
    November 14, 2017 6:36 PM PST

Personally I'd rather Dire Lord not be a pet class, I think raising undead should remain the specialty of Necromancers. I would prefer to see Dire Lord take more of the lifesteal/dots/debuffs of the necromancy arts and pair it with debuffing auras unique to Dire Lord. 

• 11 posts
    November 14, 2017 7:43 PM PST
    A major part of PRF, as told and shown by the class/race restrictions is that these are not your “mommas” classes. Break free of expectations from previous games and look at the classes as a whole new concept. I don’t care much for a “worthless” pet or situational only pet. I do like the talk of necromancy and auras. A dread aura that life taps and slows or different stances allow different aura lines to be used. I am excited for a newsletter or stream showcasing the DL class over any other.