Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

another perception thoughts

• 11 posts
    February 28, 2017 6:43 AM PST

i was watching the last major vidéo again and can't find an answer about perception.

When you choose to embrace or not, is the choice final and you can't never come back or just have to move a bit and get offer the quest again?

what do you think about put a timer (hours, days, month?) on this refresh offer quest or a reset only after gain some faction back?

• 626 posts
    February 28, 2017 6:52 AM PST

From what I remember the Perception system points you toward a certain person to talk too or note to read. If you choose to ignore it I'm assuming it would not come back, however that doesn't mean you can't go back to that area and look for the person to talk too or thing to read to trigger the next steps of it. Then again you may see the trigger each time you cross said area until you accept embrace it. 

I would prefer it be a one time thing or as you stated monthly thing... That to me would make we stop everytime I ran across a perception to see what it is, and make the game more involved to me. Thinking I'm going to go out one night running around killing bats, and I all of a sudden get a Perception while leaving the city that takes me on an hour long hunt for something could be fun IMO. 

Overall these are just some thoughts of mine, and I'm curious to see if you have any answer from VR on how long the refresh is. 

• 441 posts
    February 28, 2017 6:59 AM PST

Forget the name of the book but you have one that tracks all this stuff. Tells you where you left off so you can start again later. 

• 2886 posts
    February 28, 2017 7:02 AM PST

Nanfoodle said:

Forget the name of the book but you have one that tracks all this stuff. Tells you where you left off so you can start again later. 

The Tome of Keeping allows you to review your progress with perception cues. But what is unknown is if you decline a prompt, whether or not you'll ever have a chance to accept it instead. In other words, if you change your mind, to go back and select a different option. Hopefully they will reveal more info about the perception system and what it means to be a "Keeper" in the next stream.

This is a really good question though. To me, the two biggest things are:

1. Actions or lack of actions should have consequences. Your choices should matter and the NPCs in the world should remember them.

2. Avoid situations where you declined a low level quest because you're a noob, but then later realize that it was actually a really important quest and now you feel like you have to re-roll because you handicapped your character by poor choices made when you didn't know better.

There is a very fine line between the two.

Therefore, if the perception cue is the start of a quest, you should be able to decline/ignore it and then go back later and accept it if you want. If you just walk past the crying woman in town and then a couple minutes later, you come back and ask her what's wrong, she's probably going to still be happy to talk to you. She might not have even noticed that you ignored her the first time. However, if the first time you approached her, you said "No! I'm not gonna help you cause you're fat and ugly!" Or something along those lines, well, she's probably gonna remember that and not wanna talk to you anymore. I.e. you don't ever get another chance to accept that quest.

Likewise, there should be some story-defining decisions in the "middle" of quests that, if you realize the story is taking you in a direction you don't want to go, you shouldn't be allowed to go back and change your mind to essentially re-write the story to whatever is most favorable for you. It should really make the players and stop and think about possible repercussions before making a decision.

Those are just my thoughts though. Like I said, as far as I know, VR hasn't really talked a whole lot about perception, but I think we will see a more fleshed-out version of it in the next stream. So I'm really curious to see what they come up with.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 28, 2017 7:18 AM PST
    • 668 posts
    February 28, 2017 7:06 AM PST

I am hoping that if you were to decline the initial offer to start a quest sequence, you could go back at a later date and change your mind.  Perhaps this codex gets updated in a way where it tells you who originally started it.  

This post was edited by Pyye at February 28, 2017 7:07 AM PST
    • 626 posts
    February 28, 2017 7:08 AM PST

Pyye said:

I am hoping that if you were to decline the initial offer to start a quest sequence, you could go back at a later date and change your mind.  Perhaps this codex gets updated in a way where it tells you who originally started it.  

I believe the codex is just for spells and abilities. I believe the Tome of the Keeping is for quests and such. 

• 294 posts
    February 28, 2017 4:42 PM PST

It would not make sense, if you skip past a prompt, to never have it come up again. Life in games like these have you running all over the place. When you're on a quest, you're on a mission. You are not going to stop to listen to everyone you meet along the way, nor are you going to accept all of their quests, etc... You'd never accomplish the very first one, because you'd be too busy receiving all these others along the way.

I think, and this is just my opinion, havn't heard any Dev input on this, but I believe that you would be offered the prompt every time you pass it until you accept it, or perhaps outgrow it by picking up the quest line someplace else and going a step beyond the original prompt unless for some reasoning it doesn't make sense to do it that way. 

• 21 posts
    February 28, 2017 9:26 PM PST

In the video from middle of last year they ignored it on the way in and fought through some mobs, till they realized they were missing something. They went back at that point and choose to 'click' the text for the cue and then progressed the story

In the newest December stream someone asked at some point 'if' you could pick up on a quest in the middle of it if your perception was high enough or would you 'always' be forced to go to the beginning no matter what your perception skill/rank. It seemed that the dev answered in that you could pick it up at the begining and follow it.... unless ofcourse the dev misheard the question, in that case it is still unanswered

• 43 posts
    March 1, 2017 1:32 AM PST

From my understanding in the last stream when this was brought up, the devs stated that they are designing the preception system in a way that if a player chooses to ignore all preception based content until they hit max level. They will be able to return and focus on the preception based content. The devs also mentioned that they are also trying to build the preception system so that you should be able to pick up and start a preception quest chain at any point.

For example if they had never stopped and spoke to the crying woman who was upset that her husband had gone missing again. They group would still be able to start the preception quest by interacting with the husband outside of the cave instead of having to run back to town to speak with the wife.

• 2886 posts
    March 1, 2017 6:31 AM PST

Velrak said:

From my understanding in the last stream when this was brought up, the devs stated that they are designing the preception system in a way that if a player chooses to ignore all preception based content until they hit max level. They will be able to return and focus on the preception based content. The devs also mentioned that they are also trying to build the preception system so that you should be able to pick up and start a preception quest chain at any point.

For example if they had never stopped and spoke to the crying woman who was upset that her husband had gone missing again. They group would still be able to start the preception quest by interacting with the husband outside of the cave instead of having to run back to town to speak with the wife.

This is correct.

The question was asked about being able to pick up a quest with any of the NPC or objects involved or if they all had to be done in a strict, linear, step-by-step fashion. The dev misunderstood the question and said that it would be possible to not even engage in perception-based content until max level and then still be able to go back later and still have access to all the content as if you had chosen to do it at low level. They then clarified that quest objectives do not usually have to be done in a specific order. For example, as Vel said, if you missed the woman in town, but saw the guy outside the cave, you could still start the quest there.

But here's the important thing: As far as I know, you don't start off as a "Keeper." And you will not even see any perception cues until you become a Keeper. This is what the dev was talking about not becoming a Keeper until max level and then going back and getting all the same perception cues as everyone else. To my knowledge, we haven't been given any details about exactly what "becoming a Keeper" entails in the first place. But the question still remains though, if you do become a Keeper, and receive a perception cue but choose to decline it, if you have the opportunity to go back and get the same cue and choose a different response.