Forums » The Wizard

Wizard: In and out of combat ideas.

• 6 posts
    January 18, 2017 8:17 PM PST

borgy95 said:

Beefcake said:

for out of combat regen

Surely we are talking about in combat here. 'In combat' being defined as the group is fighting. All it is in my mind is a few clicks here and there then hey-presto you're prepping the next mana you regen to be super potent for the critz. Not some kinda crazy candy crush madness.

Ah yes good point, I see what you mean now. I would still like to see Wizards finishing combat with a FTx combo and sitting with a flourish.

• 169 posts
    March 25, 2017 6:21 AM PDT

Joppa said:

Convo said:
    Bump

Some great ideas in here Convo, thanks for pulling this thread back up. From what you've described here, I think you'll be very happy with the holistic direction of the Wizard class, and its nuances.

I'm counting on you!  We are counting on you! =P 

Feels like ages ago when I started this thread.  

This post was edited by Convo at March 25, 2017 7:36 AM PDT
    • 31 posts
    March 25, 2017 6:28 PM PDT

Nolaen said:

I would like 5 different schools of magic for the Wizard: Fire , Ice, Earth, Wind and Arcane.

For Ice ...i would really really want Ice Comet back. The Graphics alone was one of my favourites in EQ1. For AE you could have Ice Spikes either coming out of the ground or raining from above.

For Fire (or Arcane) id like some channeled Spell. Some Beam coming out of my hands similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ajeljrPRO8 .

Earth... maybe would be cool to make some ground effects, like turning the ground into a swamphole which snares/roots targets within and makes them take damage over time from drowining/choking in it.

Wind : Some kind of tornado which throws the enemie in the air briefly stunning it.

Arcane: Arcane Missiles ... another classic spell. Maybe Channeled or a single spell with maybe 5 missiles.

Thats what I imagined till now

I think this is a perfect idea, issues though I have seen with this that may cause issues or problems is this,

• Wizards dots from fire spells are not up to par versus arcane burst damage
    • Some negative in regards to Magic missle spells, long cast or an actual "miss" (Arcane missles should never miss a target)
    • Ice spells, never really implemented well as far as "CCing" enemies and such goes, freezing, making them fall down, etc.
    • Earth spelss, not even sure how this would be implemented with Wizards being that most of Shaman's and Druid's spells use the same damage, "Earth = Nature?".
    • The amount of useful spells at every level for each school of magic not being a viable dynamic, as one school of magic is very weak to others and only work in some instances or scenarios.

I get what your saying and this is a perfect though with Wizards being the glass cannon class, Vanguard Wizards were amazing as I always felt like I was going to destroyt the world of Telon when I casted a spell.

• 54 posts
    March 31, 2017 4:05 AM PDT

Gomok said:

Nolaen said:

I would like 5 different schools of magic for the Wizard: Fire , Ice, Earth, Wind and Arcane.

For Ice ...i would really really want Ice Comet back. The Graphics alone was one of my favourites in EQ1. For AE you could have Ice Spikes either coming out of the ground or raining from above.

For Fire (or Arcane) id like some channeled Spell. Some Beam coming out of my hands similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ajeljrPRO8 .

Earth... maybe would be cool to make some ground effects, like turning the ground into a swamphole which snares/roots targets within and makes them take damage over time from drowining/choking in it.

Wind : Some kind of tornado which throws the enemie in the air briefly stunning it.

Arcane: Arcane Missiles ... another classic spell. Maybe Channeled or a single spell with maybe 5 missiles.

Thats what I imagined till now

I think this is a perfect idea, issues though I have seen with this that may cause issues or problems is this,

• Wizards dots from fire spells are not up to par versus arcane burst damage
    • Some negative in regards to Magic missle spells, long cast or an actual "miss" (Arcane missles should never miss a target)
    • Ice spells, never really implemented well as far as "CCing" enemies and such goes, freezing, making them fall down, etc.
    • Earth spelss, not even sure how this would be implemented with Wizards being that most of Shaman's and Druid's spells use the same damage, "Earth = Nature?".
    • The amount of useful spells at every level for each school of magic not being a viable dynamic, as one school of magic is very weak to others and only work in some instances or scenarios.

I get what your saying and this is a perfect though with Wizards being the glass cannon class, Vanguard Wizards were amazing as I always felt like I was going to destroyt the world of Telon when I casted a spell.

I'd like to give out a few spell ideas :

- ice spells :

- freeze : encases target in a block of solid ice for X seconds. Slashing and piercing damage to target is reduced/negated and bludgeoning damage has a chance to shatter the block, breaking the target in pieces.

- Frost wall : acts as a destructible wall

- Frost shield : chills enemies nearby/hitting you, debuffing them (ie slower attack speed etc)

- Frost tracks : freezes ground where you walk, making the ground slippy, knocking foes down when then walk on it.

- ice spear : spell dealing physical piercing damage

Fire spells :

- fire wall : everything being said

- Inferno : channeled flamthrower-like spell, dealing DOT

- Fire prison : surrounds target by fire for X seconds, making it burn, inducing fear (running around randomly)

- Comet strike : invokes a comet from the sky, dealing huge bludgeoning and fire damage (possible ice variant)

- Fireball and delayed blast fireball, working as a trap

- Warmth : increases move/attack/cast speed of caster/allies

Earth spells :

- rock ring : summons rocks from the ground, floating around caster in a circle. Any foe approaching get struck by the rocks which collide into it.

- earthquake : knocks down foes in an AOE, possibly making statactites fall in underground levels

- Petrify : turns target into stone, unable to react, making it immune to piercing and slashing damage, and vulnerable to bludgeoning damage

- stone skin : protects caster/allies from physical damage for X attacks or X damage

- Bore : makes holes in the ground, making foes take falling damage and get stuck deep in the ground

Air spells

- levitation : makes caster/allies foat in the air, immune to ground effects and not triggering any trap

- tornado : randomized trajectory, lifts foes in the air, making them take falling damage and deals slashing damage

- invisibility

- hasting winds : increases move and attack speed

- Flight : makes target able to fly for X seconds

Arcane :

- magic missile swarm : shoots magic missiles in a channeled spell

- contingency : select a spell and a condition. Casts chosen spell centered on caster when chosen condition is met. Out of combat spell.

- wish : summons a djinn, granting a single wish. Wishes can be : random item (low chance for a good one), random crafting materials, instant heal and mana, teleportation to a given or a random place, access to the best shop ever. Out of combat only spell. Long cooldown.

- time stop : stops time around caster except for him. All actions stop, projectiles are stopped mid-air etc. Caster can do anything for X seconds, then everything resumes and caster actions take place instantly.

- the twelve eyes : summons eyes around the caster. Each eye grants an automatic single-use immunity to a given harmful effect then disappears. Can be physical damage, poison, ice, fire, CC effects, death effects, etc. Each eye is specific to one effect, and not the others.

Cheers

This post was edited by Gideon at March 31, 2017 4:13 AM PDT
    • 26 posts
    April 3, 2017 6:35 AM PDT

Add group buffs and / or effects - contribution beyond tactical burst damage.

I loved my EQ1 Wizard, and the diminished viability / desirability during the Kurnark transition was heart-breaking.

I agree with the need to keep Wizard power in check, but should mob hit points rise to the point where the 'burst' is less effective and it become more about sustained damage over time - let the Wizard have a way to contribute in this manner also.

I'd love to see group bonuses used for this - let us buff our party to boost their damage.  Keeps us humble solo and most potent when part of a team.

I enjoy the Wizard role of holding mostly full mana until the group needs a tactical burn - but really suffered the lack of other 'camping' group contribution back in Kurnark.  

This is why I never progressed past the classical EQ1 eara.

• 15 posts
    April 6, 2017 6:29 PM PDT

Rykath said:

Add group buffs and / or effects - contribution beyond tactical burst damage.

I loved my EQ1 Wizard, and the diminished viability / desirability during the Kurnark transition was heart-breaking.

I agree with the need to keep Wizard power in check, but should mob hit points rise to the point where the 'burst' is less effective and it become more about sustained damage over time - let the Wizard have a way to contribute in this manner also.

I'd love to see group bonuses used for this - let us buff our party to boost their damage.  Keeps us humble solo and most potent when part of a team.

I enjoy the Wizard role of holding mostly full mana until the group needs a tactical burn - but really suffered the lack of other 'camping' group contribution back in Kurnark.  

This is why I never progressed past the classical EQ1 eara.

THIS, moreso than anything I agree with. In most cases people want "flavor" additions to classes but i think this quote really gets to the heart of it all. As a wizard I always wanted to do more in a group than simply damage mobs as effeciently as I could. I personally believe adding spells that also benefit the group in mana regen, resistance debuffs and possibly spell haste would add a lot to the class. I would make all of these beneficial aspects short term during combat since its not the classes main thing but still gives something other than just damage. A game like this where the group mechanic is the main aspect of gaemplay, then all classes should offer something to that group dynamic other than pew pew.

Just my thoughts

• 18 posts
    April 29, 2017 2:42 PM PDT

In my book, wizards are the masters of the arcane.

In-Combat:

Runes – It’s easy to let agro get out of control. I have a twist on the idea of a rune, mitigate a hit or two but augmented with an agro mitigation perhaps based upon how hard the wizard is hit. Think if you say something that makes someone mad, they want to hit you to reduce their anger with you. Maybe this is a good way to eliminate a feint-style spell and allow the wizard to focus on casting damage abilities.

Arcane School Specialization – The wizard can focus their arcane power to focus on a particular school. A frost wizard might have a chance to freeze or do more ice damage as an example. Maybe go as far as having a secondary mana pool used for the focused school abilities allowing the wizard to freeze or DoT the target with fire while still maintaining the arcane focus.

Weapon enhancement – Buff a warrior’s weapon with an additional proc of fire.

Spell Linking – I may have missed this in the thread and this is not my idea. I like the thought of having an expanding chain of possible spells which enhance the effects. This could also be interpreted as spell linking with other party members. This could get creative. The wizard effectively combines his/her arcane abilities with the cleric, for instance, allowing for cauterization or modifying a buff while in combat. (Thanks to Voices of Terminus’s discussion on wizards)

Out-Of-Combat:

Environment Manipulation – Adds mitigation of environmental effects to a degree. Also change/add the environmental conditions around the wizard. Perhaps creating a detrimental effect for mobs while in combat such as scorching the ground around the group.

Wizards have always lacked out-of-combat/utility abilities but I don’t think this is wrong. Adding utility and out-of-combat abilities would enhance the class but I think these utilities should be focused on improving in-combat mechanics of the group.

Edit: I love the ideas on adding more group utility.  Reducing the "parse focus' of the wizard class would improve the gameplay of the class.

This post was edited by Pompler at April 29, 2017 2:49 PM PDT
    • 4 posts
    September 27, 2017 6:58 AM PDT

Gideon said:

I'd like to give out a few spell ideas :

- ice spells :

- freeze : encases target in a block of solid ice for X seconds. Slashing and piercing damage to target is reduced/negated and bludgeoning damage has a chance to shatter the block, breaking the target in pieces.

- Frost wall : acts as a destructible wall

- Frost shield : chills enemies nearby/hitting you, debuffing them (ie slower attack speed etc)

- Frost tracks : freezes ground where you walk, making the ground slippy, knocking foes down when then walk on it.

- ice spear : spell dealing physical piercing damage

Fire spells :

- fire wall : everything being said

- Inferno : channeled flamthrower-like spell, dealing DOT

- Fire prison : surrounds target by fire for X seconds, making it burn, inducing fear (running around randomly)

- Comet strike : invokes a comet from the sky, dealing huge bludgeoning and fire damage (possible ice variant)

- Fireball and delayed blast fireball, working as a trap

- Warmth : increases move/attack/cast speed of caster/allies

Earth spells :

- rock ring : summons rocks from the ground, floating around caster in a circle. Any foe approaching get struck by the rocks which collide into it.

- earthquake : knocks down foes in an AOE, possibly making statactites fall in underground levels

- Petrify : turns target into stone, unable to react, making it immune to piercing and slashing damage, and vulnerable to bludgeoning damage

- stone skin : protects caster/allies from physical damage for X attacks or X damage

- Bore : makes holes in the ground, making foes take falling damage and get stuck deep in the ground

Air spells

- levitation : makes caster/allies foat in the air, immune to ground effects and not triggering any trap

- tornado : randomized trajectory, lifts foes in the air, making them take falling damage and deals slashing damage

- invisibility

- hasting winds : increases move and attack speed

- Flight : makes target able to fly for X seconds

Arcane :

- magic missile swarm : shoots magic missiles in a channeled spell

- contingency : select a spell and a condition. Casts chosen spell centered on caster when chosen condition is met. Out of combat spell.

- wish : summons a djinn, granting a single wish. Wishes can be : random item (low chance for a good one), random crafting materials, instant heal and mana, teleportation to a given or a random place, access to the best shop ever. Out of combat only spell. Long cooldown.

- time stop : stops time around caster except for him. All actions stop, projectiles are stopped mid-air etc. Caster can do anything for X seconds, then everything resumes and caster actions take place instantly.

- the twelve eyes : summons eyes around the caster. Each eye grants an automatic single-use immunity to a given harmful effect then disappears. Can be physical damage, poison, ice, fire, CC effects, death effects, etc. Each eye is specific to one effect, and not the others.

Cheers

These are amazing ideas - truly would make the wizard class superb! If pantheon churns out an EQ1 wizard clone - it will be a big disappointment.