Forums » Expansion Classes

Melee healer

• 22 posts
    February 24, 2017 8:24 AM PST
    How about a close range damage dealer that heals proximity based aoe like waves of healing goodness based upon their damage output. Sort of a battle rager that gets all juiced up on some sort of stimulant and flails about wreaking havoc while providing buffs and heals through spiritually guided devastation. Limit the class to spiked steins or dual wielded hookahs that represent the specific deity they worship. Give them a single ability that no other class possesses and they will play this class. Who wouldn't want the fun loving priest of inebriation or priestess of oddly pungent potpourri along side their group in an adventure. I myself get tired of the same old cookie cutter healers and would like to see a different take on the class. They could be raised in hippee like communes where they either brew mushroom based tea or harvest herbs and experiment with these items. Poultice could be their individual class specific ability which would heal 50% of health and place a random positive of negative effect on the target. This would have a cd of course. Cmon can't you just picture dual wielded hookahs dressed in loudly colored silks or leathers, bare feet kicking wildly while her zest for retribution sends out healing waves of smoke rings in all directions? The shroom version could have toxic debuffs and a powerful belch that has a small chance of stunning bosses. This is so much fun I need to get to my pc to properly expound on this idea...
    • 22 posts
    February 24, 2017 11:50 AM PST

ok so having had a watercloset epiphany i have decided to elaborate on the previous posting with some parameters. This healer would need to do melee damage to cause the healing waves that would be split evenly to all targets within range of the healers target (mob). The healer would not benefit from the healing effects but would instead regen health when in a meditative state which means no attacking while regening so no group heals during that time. DPS would indicate healing level so a direct corrolation between damage and heals per second, something like 25% of damage converted to heals with crits providing double heals. Leather and cloth only without tthe ability to wear shoes or helms, however the feet may have anklets: think bracers for feet and the head should be restricted to self buffs like smoke rings or visionary embodiments (manifested products of hallucinations). The pantheon or supremem beings granting powers to this type of healer was troubling at first and then i remembered clash of the titans... Some of the gods are obviously lesser but not elementals so they are constantly vying for followers. Lets think about the demi-gods as communes who band together for followers through agents placed on the human/elvish plane of existence. Agents would be shrooms and weeds that can be imbibed/smoked/consumed (hmmmm frog licking) that will allow the user to enter into a communion of sorts with these demi-gods who will grant the devout follower with sub-divine powers. Because these demi-gods are constantly fighting for scraps it requires the use of force and agents to demonstrate in a palpable way the power of these sub-deities. This would be a melee healer for all races as anyone can be a hippee able to shed the yoke and constraints of modernism and commune with gods on a mind expanding journey aided by herb/weed/shrooms. 

I think limiting the weapon choices to something like staff as a starter and then speacializing later would be a great idea. The later speacilizations would include dual wielding or stave, depending upon herb or shroom path as the deciding factor. This would then make the choice simple as the herb would follow dual wield hookahs and the shroom would default to spiked steins. Both paths would still have the beginning shillelagh to fall back on. The combat enhancement for this class would come from a gutshaker type bag of herbs that would be inhaled vigorously right before combat for an extended buff that randomly increases effectiveness exponentially, yet randomly. I like random! 

Smoking and smoke rings and purple hazes and sticky hookah technique would be a wonderful thing to explore as well as mind expansion for an int buff. Toxic belch and Poultice could really make these healers well rounded with the right cd. All said this would add a wealth of lore and playability that would invigorate a new breed of healers and add a bit of fun to an otherwise stale play style.

• 56 posts
    March 20, 2017 1:07 PM PDT

I don't see it fitting in with Visionary Realms vision. They want every character to be needed in a group.

I see two things happening with your idea.

1. It heals too much and the Cleric feels useless

2. It doesn't heal much and it's just a useless character because we have a tank class and other melee classes.

It also sounds too complicated from all the restrictions and limitations you are suggesting. People will try the character and more than likely abandon it.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, just trying to help you see it more objectively.

• 21 posts
    April 20, 2017 12:26 PM PDT

This reminds me of the Disciple class in Vanguard.  Kind of a monk-Healer; fantastic back up healer wiht a bit of DPS.  Loved that class

• 22 posts
    May 26, 2017 9:44 PM PDT
    I second the greatness of the VG Disciple in filling this exact role.
    • 2 posts
    May 27, 2017 6:17 PM PDT

The disc in VG was fantastic, first time in a rpg that i've enjoyed playing a healer.   Was such an amazing class to play