Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Name Rules?

• 116 posts
    February 18, 2017 3:35 AM PST

I searched and didn't see the question asked.  In the lore there are a lot of hyphenated names.  Will we be allowed hyphens and apostrophes As characters in names?  I know I hope so, as names are very important to me In regards to the creation process.  I have remade a character halfway through the game because I thought of a better name.

• 521 posts
    February 18, 2017 4:00 AM PST

A stickler for names

Last names?

Recycled Names

Identical First Names

There you go

This post was edited by HemlockReaper at February 18, 2017 4:00 AM PST
    • 116 posts
    February 18, 2017 8:27 AM PST

Thanks Hemlock.  None of those posts answer the question I asked.... but thanks.

• 3237 posts
    February 18, 2017 8:44 AM PST

I can't say for sure Rubezahl but I would probably lean more towards not being able to use special characters in our names.  Personally, I think hyphens and apostrophes would be okay if used in moderation, but wouldn't care to see any special characters beyond those two.  Good question!

• 116 posts
    February 18, 2017 1:49 PM PST

Yeah, I asked for a couple reasons.

1. There are significant usage of them in lore, which would make it fundamentally work.

2. A hyphen or apostrophe would broaden the ability to create names while still keeping them unique.

I do agree with your opinion that it should not be open to all special characters... Having crazy names usually just means people aren't going to bother typing it to invite you to group if there are other options. (imo)

• 159 posts
    February 18, 2017 2:22 PM PST

Rubezahl said:

... Having crazy names usually just means people aren't going to bother typing it to invite you to group if there are other options. (imo)

I know a few EverQuest monks that tried this to avoid getting consented  to pull corpses all the time.   Names like kiiiiliilliinth or jijijijijijoe so if you didn't know the sequence you couldnt easily consent them...They figured it'd make raiding easier on themselves.   They got left behind pretty quickly (even after /consent raid was added...If you want to play the class then accept all the rolls if the class....)

Because of this I'd like to see no sequencing like that being allowed by the filters.

This post was edited by Xilshale at February 18, 2017 2:23 PM PST
    • 563 posts
    February 18, 2017 2:26 PM PST

I agree with certain characters being allowed to be used in names, such as a hyphen, apostrophy or a period.

My family name has a period in it, I've always been annoyed when filling out any online forms only to have it tell me I used characters that aren't allowed :S Most official/government documents either replace the period with a hyphen, a space or just drop it all together because their computer systems can't seem to handle a "." in a name.

• 3016 posts
    February 18, 2017 2:34 PM PST

Trouble is ..it might cause problems (special characters) unless you can just right click the person's name to send them a tell or invite to group, raid..etc.   Anyways I haven't seen this discussed or mentioned by the Devs yet.   Guess we'll have to wait and see.  Remembering that in certain languages and keyboards there are accented letters that don't appear on the English language keyboards.  French for example

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at February 18, 2017 2:35 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 18, 2017 4:11 PM PST

I am unsure at this stage, once we get into testing we can have a look at the naming principles more closely and take feedback on board :)

• 763 posts
    February 19, 2017 12:46 AM PST

I kind of suspect the game's parsing routines will ultimately determine what can or cannot be used as viable name characters! Short of all typed commands using quotation marks to encluse all character names (a bit like windows did for extended file names under the old 8.3 system) I can see many potential parsing issues if names can have non-alpha (or even simple spaces) characters!

As Kilsin says, testing will tell!

Evoras, is looking forwards to the testing session where we have to create funny names!

• 2752 posts
    February 20, 2017 10:20 AM PST

I also hope you can have an apostrophe in the name, or even just surname. It was nice seeing that be a thing in FFXIV and a lot of interesting names came from it.