Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Terminus?

• 13 posts
    February 16, 2017 8:27 AM PST

Would there be any appetite to rename Terminus to something else?  I can't get The Walking Dead out of my head when I see that and it just doesn't have a Fantasy World feel to it  :)

• 3016 posts
    February 16, 2017 8:28 AM PST

Terminus is part of the Lore story Hypnus :)  

• 191 posts
    February 16, 2017 8:50 AM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Terminus is part of the Lore story Hypnus :)  

I doubt he's confused about that.  I think he's asking if that can be made not true.

My original gripe on the topic: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4889/too-late-i-know

• 13 posts
    February 16, 2017 8:53 AM PST

Correct, I understand the lore.  'Terminus' presents a signifcant branding challenge for the game.  Unlike Norrath and Telon... :)

• 2752 posts
    February 16, 2017 8:55 AM PST

Well hopefully it's like Norrath, a name you can largely ignore as you will be using continent and actual location names. Not a "Terminus" fan either but, meh.

• 3016 posts
    February 16, 2017 9:11 AM PST

Hypnus said:

Correct, I understand the lore.  'Terminus' presents a signifcant branding challenge for the game.  Unlike Norrath and Telon... :)

I'm not sure about the significant branding challenge?   If you're referring to the Walking Dead,  not everyone watches that program..and if you're wanting a change then,  Kilsin and VR would have to agree to that?  Which also may entail changing the lore worked on for the last 3 years ..to something different?  How many people want this change?   Maybe Kilsin can do a poll of some sort.    Just thoughts that occurred to me. :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at February 16, 2017 9:12 AM PST
    • 13 posts
    February 16, 2017 9:13 AM PST

It's obviously not game breaking by any means, but from a Lore perspective, it is distracting.  And I'm one of those players that devours the lore and uses it to immmerse myself in the game.

• 3016 posts
    February 16, 2017 9:15 AM PST

Hypnus said:

It's obviously not game breaking by any means, but from a Lore perspective, it is distracting.  And I'm one of those players that devours the lore and uses it to immmerse myself in the game.

Then if it concerns you that much try a message to Kilsin and see what he thinks.  He's a pretty friendly guy. :)

• 2886 posts
    February 16, 2017 9:17 AM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Hypnus said:

Then if it concerns you that much try a message to Kilsin and see what he thinks.  He's a pretty friendly guy. :)

Kilsin has already been asked this question and the answer is a firm no. It's way too late to be making changes like that.

• 3016 posts
    February 16, 2017 9:19 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Hypnus said:

Kilsin has already been asked this question and the answer is a firm no. It's way too late to be making changes like that.

Thanks Bazgrim was unaware Kilsin was already approached with this question,  and my own sense of things..gave the same result that its kind of late in the game to do a change like that. :)

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    February 16, 2017 9:50 AM PST

Hypnus -

While I don't think the current name of the planet will be altered, there are a few thoughts I'll add to the conversation:

1. The name Terminus is a reference to a deity in the Roman pantheon of the same namesake, though it goes a bit deeper than that. Terminus guarded and oversaw boundary markers and borders, and his name is believed to have derived from the Latin word for boundary stone. While the name selection for the world of Pantheon preceded my involvement on the team, Terminus always made poetic sense to me. In our world where so many peoples mortal and immortal were taken from within their regional borders and even planetary limits, they were depostied into a world that was literally renamed after a guardian of boundaries. After the lines of their territories and histories were erased, these peoples were depostied in a world where they needed to be drawn anew and afresh. This is their home now, and they are bound together to it -- as well as watched over within it.

2. Terminus is not the only name of the world. In fact it's a fairly new one, historically speaking. Nhystyrrok is an older one, though it is not the oldest. As you progress through the game you will encounter more of the world's past, and you may end up calling it Nhystyrrok instead of Terminus. You will certainly encounter peoples and places who do. But in the Frail Era of the game's launch, the refugee races you will begin the experience as know it as Terminus.

3. Potential branding concerns are out of my wheelhouse, but I'll just mention that from my vantage point EQ is primarily known as EverQuest, not Norrath. Vanguard similarly, and so with Pantheon, I would expect. So while the name of the world is very significant it doesn't seem to be as primary. But what do I know. If the PR team elects a change then we will bravely dial up the R'ando F'antasty Word Maker and see what pops out. ;)

I understand those thoughts may not satisfy you and I appreciate the topic, but I wanted to offer up at least some of the rationale behind the name as it stands today.

• 191 posts
    February 16, 2017 10:18 AM PST

Thanks for a considered reply Istuulamae.  Different cultures from different eras referring to the world by different names is a particularly deft bit of loresmanship.  Well done.

• 13 posts
    February 16, 2017 10:42 AM PST

Thank you for the reply Istuulamae.  Obviously this has been thought through, and there is reason behind Terminus.  I appreciate you taking the time to explain the background.  I'm just one data point, but I'd be curious to know how many others are thrown off their lore immersion by 'Terminus'.  I do really like Nhystyrrok however!  :)

• 422 posts
    February 16, 2017 10:48 AM PST

Had no idea the name had any reference to The Walking Dead. The show is terrible IMO so I don't watch it. Terminus is a fine name for the world. Keep it!

• 441 posts
    February 16, 2017 11:22 AM PST

Istuulamae said:

Hypnus -

While I don't think the current name of the planet will be altered, there are a few thoughts I'll add to the conversation:

1. The name Terminus is a reference to a deity in the Roman pantheon of the same namesake, though it goes a bit deeper than that. Terminus guarded and oversaw boundary markers and borders, and his name is believed to have derived from the Latin word for boundary stone. While the name selection for the world of Pantheon preceded my involvement on the team, Terminus always made poetic sense to me. In our world where so many peoples mortal and immortal were taken from within their regional borders and even planetary limits, they were depostied into a world that was literally renamed after a guardian of boundaries. After the lines of their territories and histories were erased, these peoples were depostied in a world where they needed to be drawn anew and afresh. This is their home now, and they are bound together to it -- as well as watched over within it.

2. Terminus is not the only name of the world. In fact it's a fairly new one, historically speaking. Nhystyrrok is an older one, though it is not the oldest. As you progress through the game you will encounter more of the world's past, and you may end up calling it Nhystyrrok instead of Terminus. You will certainly encounter peoples and places who do. But in the Frail Era of the game's launch, the refugee races you will begin the experience as know it as Terminus.

3. Potential branding concerns are out of my wheelhouse, but I'll just mention that from my vantage point EQ is primarily known as EverQuest, not Norrath. Vanguard similarly, and so with Pantheon, I would expect. So while the name of the world is very significant it doesn't seem to be as primary. But what do I know. If the PR team elects a change then we will bravely dial up the R'ando F'antasty Word Maker and see what pops out. ;)

I understand those thoughts may not satisfy you and I appreciate the topic, but I wanted to offer up at least some of the rationale behind the name as it stands today.

Awesome post. Love learning more about the lore of this game and thats a awesome little nugget. More pls.

• 2752 posts
    February 16, 2017 11:37 AM PST

Istuulamae said:

Very Nhys!

I'll just call the world Nice. 

• 284 posts
    February 16, 2017 6:55 PM PST

Just to be a contrarian agitator I will suggest you rebel against Istuulamae's suggestion and instead use the true name, Aevozul (look it up)! Down with the tyranny of the absent dragon gods and their names, this world is ours!

• 15 posts
    February 16, 2017 7:26 PM PST

I always felt Terminus was a great choice. What with the lore and all, it had the sound of a name being chosen by all the peoples who had "ended up" there. Their terminal point, so to say.

I also have no idea what its connection to Walking Dead is I've never seen it. =p 

• 138 posts
    February 16, 2017 7:59 PM PST

I'm a fan of TWD, but beyond the first time reading the name here it has not really effected me one wayy or the other. Now that we have more history on its origins I'm more solidly in favor of it.

• 238 posts
    February 16, 2017 10:32 PM PST

For those that dont watch the show

Spoiler….

They are cannibals that lure people to their location by offering sanctuary and then eat them…

• 69 posts
    February 16, 2017 10:40 PM PST

Xonth said:

They are cannibals that lure people to their location by offering sanctuary and then eat them…

Bad bad Termites!

Jexxy

• 763 posts
    February 16, 2017 11:37 PM PST

Xonth said:

Hang on a moment....
    ... is this a hint about a new, secret race?

are we talking...

TROLLS ?

This post was edited by Evoras at February 16, 2017 11:37 PM PST
    • 11 posts
    February 17, 2017 11:22 AM PST

Terminus was (or probably is) a starter area in RIFT. But other than that, it didn't bother me too much.

This post was edited by Dravid at February 17, 2017 11:25 AM PST
    • 363 posts
    February 17, 2017 12:10 PM PST

Dravid said:

Terminus was (or probably is) a starter area in RIFT. But other than that, it didn't bother me too much.

Oh, yeah...forgot about that one!

And, for what it's worth, the name doesn't bother me. I'll most likely just say things like "running around in Pantheon" when my wife asks me why I haven't got the yard work done yet!

This post was edited by Anistosoles at February 17, 2017 12:11 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    February 17, 2017 1:15 PM PST

Dravid said:

humm I participated in the "alpha" for Rift,  didn't even ping to that..lol  thanks for the reminder.