Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Patience is a Virtue, but bored to death

• 188 posts
    February 19, 2017 1:54 PM PST

I've been "in" in a significant way since the Kickstarter days, and have (perhaps for the first time in a long time with an MMORPG) paced myself so as to avoid burnout pre-release.  In reality I have been waiting on Pantheon (or something comparable) for over a decade.  I'm basically immune to the wait right now.  Take your time, make it a great game, make it a great release... build something with longevity.  If this doesn't work, the likelihood of me playing another MMORPG again in the future is extremely small.  So, I'll wait.

• 595 posts
    February 19, 2017 2:04 PM PST

Hannar said:

If this doesn't work, the likelihood of me playing another MMORPG again in the future is extremely small.  So, I'll wait.

Yea, I would echo this sentiment @Hannar.  If Pantheon, for whatever reason, fails to capture what it is I'm looking for I fear nothing will.  Aside from playing on emulated servers, like VGOEmulator and P1999, this would signify the end for me as well :/

• 3016 posts
    February 19, 2017 3:04 PM PST

Hokanu said:

It's definitely hard waiting, don't let yourself get down constantly checking the game news, we are on the most updated portal for Pantheon so we won't miss a thing and Kils will always point out a good read if someone publishes one.

I downloaded dragon age origins recently and chucked it on nightmare mode. they did a release of it on Xbox one. Great game.. if only they didn't simplify /ruin it so much with the sequel's there would be 3 of them to replay! Keeps me busy when I am getting a craving though haha. Great challenge in boss fights on nightmare.

The longer Pantheon takes the better it will be!  Very much looking forward to the upcoming stream, sounds like they are getting ready to show off a big chunk of new stuff! 

Ah you're talking about my old addiction  Dragon Age: Origins.   Played that in 2009..for well over a year.  Made 23 characters, did every imaginable ending.  hehe  Still didn't manage all of the achieves, missing 4 or 5 I think.  :)   There's a game where you need to set up your group with pre tactics, strategy.   Can even make your group members drink health or mana potions on the fly.  :)     Was fun while it lasted. :)

• 839 posts
    February 19, 2017 4:05 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Hokanu said:

It's definitely hard waiting, don't let yourself get down constantly checking the game news, we are on the most updated portal for Pantheon so we won't miss a thing and Kils will always point out a good read if someone publishes one.

I downloaded dragon age origins recently and chucked it on nightmare mode. they did a release of it on Xbox one. Great game.. if only they didn't simplify /ruin it so much with the sequel's there would be 3 of them to replay! Keeps me busy when I am getting a craving though haha. Great challenge in boss fights on nightmare.

The longer Pantheon takes the better it will be!  Very much looking forward to the upcoming stream, sounds like they are getting ready to show off a big chunk of new stuff! 

Ah you're talking about my old addiction  Dragon Age: Origins.   Played that in 2009..for well over a year.  Made 23 characters, did every imaginable ending.  hehe  Still didn't manage all of the achieves, missing 4 or 5 I think.  :)   There's a game where you need to set up your group with pre tactics, strategy.   Can even make your group members drink health or mana potions on the fly.  :)     Was fun while it lasted. :)

It so good isn't it!! I think I could replay it over and over... still having so much fun so many years later! It has so many EQ style concepts! Was such a huge fan of the original bauldurs gate but haven't found it again to replay. Nightmare difficulty on dragon age is an awesome challenge! Trying to do it with as few potions as possible, working my spirit healer like crazy haha. Great game :)

• 3852 posts
    February 19, 2017 8:05 PM PST

Balder's Gate was available on GOG last I looked they have a huge number of the old DOS and early Windows games with good emulation so that they are playable on today's operating systems.

I've replayed all the Might and Magics, Wizardries and quite a few other series thanks to their frequent sales.

• 668 posts
    February 19, 2017 8:18 PM PST

Might and Magic VI - VIII are my favorites, definitely in my top 10 list.  For its time, they were amazing games and I still have fun replaying them.

Dragon Age Origins I barely played because I got pulled back into WoW.  Perhaps I should go give it a try?

• 578 posts
    February 20, 2017 12:33 AM PST

Patience is the key my friend. I'm not gonna repeat what everyone else has said already. A lot of us have been waiting for a long time and many more join us each and every day in that wait. Best bet would be to find a game or games that can occupy your time for the time being. 

Only thing I'd like to say is a caution to temper expectations of testing at least for the initial and/or first couple of testing phases. This is to anybody eager to test. I'm pretty sure these phases of testing are going to be highly focused where we are given a specific day and time to log in and given a certain scheduled task to do. I don't believe it is going to be log in at your leisure and play, this isn't like early access or even beta testing. It's possible we won't even test for long, possibly a few hours and then test again a week later or a few weeks later for another few hours. If it's going to be anything like the last game I tested then the first few months we will test for 2-3 hours a night once every few weeks. Then eventually they will open it up to maybe a testing window of 24 hours to 72 hours once every few weeks.

None of this is verbatim from VRi this is just my last experience with testing in an MMO in a tightly controlled environment. The reason why I mention this is because iirc the devs have stated that the early testing phases will be in a tightly controlled environment

• 578 posts
    February 20, 2017 12:45 AM PST

Pyye said:

Might and Magic VI - VIII are my favorites, definitely in my top 10 list.  For its time, they were amazing games and I still have fun replaying them.

Dragon Age Origins I barely played because I got pulled back into WoW.  Perhaps I should go give it a try?

I remember the first time I played Might and Magic it was the one for the Sega Genesis and it is still one of the greatest games I've ever played. It was ahead of its time. It was open world with a first person view with Italian piano music and so many different types of monsters and enemies to fight. There was no hand holding, you could easily travel to the wrong area and be level 1 and end up in a dungeon of dragons. You had a group and the combat screen showed the enemy from a first person perspective but if there were too many enemies it had a box for their names and it would have a numer next to their name of how many their were. I remember walking through this one dungeon/cave and their was a goblin lord or god and it had 40,000 goblins with him iirc. And if you weren't high enough level or prepared with the right gear you were insured a swift death. This was the nature of this game. There was spell making. I think you could craft your own gear. There was a main quest and plenty of side quests. There were factions you could join and fight against. There were cryptograms as puzzles and the biggest plot twist of all, this took place in a time of wizards and dragons and knights and swords and fireballs but the cryptograms and the main quest lead you to come to find that it was actually the future and you had to use a computer to get to outer space or something. I can't remember that part quite well but it was towards the end of the game maybe even the end of the main quest line. I might have to try and find this game on the internet possibly as an emulator or something. I lost SO many hours into that game, it was way far ahead of its time.

edit. It was called Might and Magic: Gates to Another World

This post was edited by NoobieDoo at February 20, 2017 12:46 AM PST
    • 3852 posts
    February 20, 2017 8:02 AM PST

The early Might and Magic games opened up new vistas. I think it was MM2 that had what passed at the time for music coming out of the computer speakers. Possibly the first CRPG (computer role playing game) to do this. And a very primitive mapping system that the character had to visit a cartographer trainer to get. Also perhaps a first. Fast forward to MM3-MM4 (games that if you had both constituted the combined game Worlds of Xeen) and you could have ((gasps)) digital voices. Oh I was so impressed. Never forget clicking on the bank and hearing "Safe and secure".

I played them all and loved them all. Even when they scrapped allowing us to create a team of characters and just let us create one - who could recruit team members in various locations. Even MM9 which was terribly buggy and poorly done - maybe the developers were out of money then, they folded soon after. Years and years later someone else came up with a so-called MM10 - even more poorly done and they stopped supporting it almost instantly.

Wizardry was the only true peer in terms of CRPGs. Wizardry 1 gave a first person view, let you play a team of characters and had a hardcore feature - you wiped and there was a chance for permanent wipe forcing you to start over. The last game in the series was Wizardry 8 and unlike the MM series Sir-tech never went downhill - Wizardry 8 may have been the best designed game of the series. Sadly it was also the last as the company folded. Taking the equally well done squad-based series Jagged Alliance with it.

• 556 posts
    February 20, 2017 8:26 AM PST

So I picked up 'For Honor" last week on the recommendations of friends ... makes me realize how badly I need a new, good MMO in my life. I can play these repetitive games for only so long before getting bored all over again. Honestly have no idea how people can play these CoD type games for years at a time. It's not even 1 week in and I dread the log on screen

• 43 posts
    February 20, 2017 8:48 AM PST

Azzudien said:

Tomorrow will mark the 3 year anniversary since my Pantheon journey began. I have been watching the progress since the Kickstarter announcement and have donated when I can over the last 3 years to help the cause.

I don't post a lot, though I do read the forums often to stay abreast of what is happening and the progress that has been made. The newsletters are always exciting to receive and to see the progress that has been made.

My request is please move to testing phase to help out a bored individual, who is sick of all the current games out there.

Sincerely,

Azzudien

Hang in there dude! What is another year if you've already been here 3? I've also been here from the kickstarter and I see it as we have begun going downhill now. This year will pass quickly! :)

• 2752 posts
    February 20, 2017 9:24 AM PST

Enitzu said:

So I picked up 'For Honor" last week on the recommendations of friends ... makes me realize how badly I need a new, good MMO in my life. I can play these repetitive games for only so long before getting bored all over again. Honestly have no idea how people can play these CoD type games for years at a time. It's not even 1 week in and I dread the log on screen

I'm loving For Honor, I hated it at first until I realized it was much more a fighting game (Street Fighter etc) than anything else and it all made a lot more sense to me. CoD I definitely can't do however. 

• 363 posts
    February 20, 2017 12:41 PM PST

Iksar said:

Enitzu said:

I'm loving For Honor, I hated it at first until I realized it was much more a fighting game (Street Fighter etc) than anything else and it all made a lot more sense to me. CoD I definitely can't do however. 

I think Enitzu is referring to the game being match-based and lacking character development, thus, it is extremely repetitive.

• 2886 posts
    February 20, 2017 12:53 PM PST

NEXTLEVL said:

Iksar said:

Enitzu said:

I think Enitzu is referring to the game being match-based and lacking character development, thus, it is extremely repetitive.

Match-based games, while lacking character development, still involve player development. In other words, progress is less obvious, but if you know what to look for, you can identify parts of your play that are problematic and then work to improve in those areas to increase your overall winrate. It's certainly not for everyone, but systematically figuring out how to do something you previously didn't know how to do and seeing your winrate go up over time can be just as satisfying as equipping a new piece of epic gear. For Honor seems to have one of the most in-depth action combat systems I've seen so I bet there's enough strategy and mechanical skills required to keep people busy for quite a while if they're into that sort of thing.

• 363 posts
    February 20, 2017 1:18 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

NEXTLEVL said:

Iksar said:

Enitzu said:

Match-based games, while lacking character development, still involve player development. In other words, progress is less obvious, but if you know what to look for, you can identify parts of your play that are problematic and then work to improve in those areas to increase your overall winrate. It's certainly not for everyone, but systematically figuring out how to do something you previously didn't know how to do and seeing your winrate go up over time can be just as satisfying as equipping a new piece of epic gear. For Honor seems to have one of the most in-depth action combat systems I've seen so I bet there's enough strategy and mechanical skills required to keep people busy for quite a while if they're into that sort of thing.

I'm a huge Counter-Strike guy, I even used to compete in CAL back in the day, so I agree with what you're saying. However, I don't believe the retainment level is as high as it is with character development. Of course, this is my opinion.

• 2752 posts
    February 20, 2017 1:56 PM PST

NEXTLEVL said:

I'm a huge Counter-Strike guy, I even used to compete in CAL back in the day, so I agree with what you're saying. However, I don't believe the retainment level is as high as it is with character development. Of course, this is my opinion.

That's probably true (especially for fighting games), but I'd imagine few if any games hold retainment as much as MMOs due to the time sink it requires for progression when you reach the carrot on a stick at max level (in current MMOs). Then I look at League of Legends which is king of repetition and it's one of if not the most played games ever. Some of the most popular games online right now are CS:Go, DoTA 2, LoL, Overwatch, Hearthstone. 

But I hear you. I love character development in a game, but sometimes the character is me and I like that too.