Forums » The Paladin

Paladin Race/Class Picture

• 1151 posts
    October 31, 2017 4:51 PM PDT

The wards don't seem deeply ingrained in the daily lives of halflings or their culture though and I don't think they were gods, at least they certainly don't sound like it. It says "But the Ward of Flame was not charged to watch over the Kiri, rather his was to rule over a race beneath the surface of Hiryth." Which begs the question of: who/what gave Kiren that charge (and the other wards theirs). 

• 235 posts
    October 31, 2017 5:36 PM PDT

I dont disagree that is feels like quite a stretch and I also think the agrument has been over for quite some time regarding paladins. I simply offerred a possibility that I had considered; for what is worship but a devotion to an entity that offers hope?  With the recent reveal of the halfling lore, and a discussion somewhere somewhat recently(maybe a stream?) about how the halfling have a "borrowed" pantheon or a non-traditional pantheon, as well as the possibility that "somethings may be open to change as we go through testing", I remain a devils advocate for "entities that are the earth itself" still carry devotion. 

Maidyn Clan are the spiritual heartbeat of the Halflings. They are easily the most reserved and contemplative of the race, seeking to find, follow and know the Six Wards that guide their people. The Halfling Pantheon is different from the other refugee races, and may allow for interactions with the Wards that are different from other races as well.  Maidyn Clan takes its name and motivation from the first Maiden Lyone, who is famous for outwitting Molsth and halting the effects of the curse, but was also a voracious student of Kiri history, Kiren the Ward of Flame, and culture in general. She knew her people would no longer exist in a few generation's time, so she dedicated herself to stewarding all she could about them. This base of knowledge is what allowed Lyone to be successful in defeating Molsth, and that is what Maidyn Clan seeks to imitate. [enter the paladin halfling possibility]

• 35 posts
    October 31, 2017 6:26 PM PDT

I've already decided I'm going to be a Halfling Paladin.

Let's make it happen, VR!

Image result for halfling paladin

Look at those feet. Look at em'.

Nature's Defender part II? 

• 35 posts
    November 1, 2017 6:41 AM PDT

And I've been thinking. Why does a Paladin have to worship a god specifically?

Can't he get the exact same things from nature, or his leader?

Also, why would the god have to be good for a paladin to work? Can't you be a paladin for an evil god? Afterall, isn't evil in the eye of the beholder? Look at Germany in WW2. Those guys had skulls and crossbones on their collars, and were putting people in the oven, and they thought they were the good guys. Same thing with Japan.

I think we're missing a really unique opportunity to play with the idea of evil paladins.

• 177 posts
    November 1, 2017 10:19 AM PDT

Wow I never thought this thread would still be alive. lol  I still feel the way I feel about it. But no one else cares about the race limitations so... *shrug* One voice crying about it isn't enough to make a change. :) I'm just going to move on and deal with my crap human Paladin. 

This post was edited by Verdic at November 1, 2017 10:21 AM PDT
    • 32 posts
    November 5, 2017 10:00 AM PST

A lot of people have made the same arguments about "evil paladins" and the even better argument of "if a race can be a cleric and warrior, why can't they be a paladin?"  Regardless of logic or how many people have these feelings, the devs have said that they're fairly adamant on their class/race restrictions.  I personally hate dwarves and find humans absolutely boring in a game designed to escape reality or RP as something that you really aren't.  I really hope they make some statement or storyline that identifies why only humans and dwarves can be paladin...  maybe the dark myr diety their clerics worship doesn't like how paladins look.  -_-

• 122 posts
    November 5, 2017 3:45 PM PST

Darch said:

A lot of people have made the same arguments about "evil paladins" and the even better argument of "if a race can be a cleric and warrior, why can't they be a paladin?"  Regardless of logic or how many people have these feelings, the devs have said that they're fairly adamant on their class/race restrictions.  I personally hate dwarves and find humans absolutely boring in a game designed to escape reality or RP as something that you really aren't.  I really hope they make some statement or storyline that identifies why only humans and dwarves can be paladin...  maybe the dark myr diety their clerics worship doesn't like how paladins look.  -_-

I feel like everthing is coming together really well in this game's development. It looks better in each stream, and the explanation of game mechanics also become more intriguing. With that said, if I had any complaints about the game, the top 2 would be:

-same as you; the current race options for paladin just feel really limited

-cleric races (one of the main healers as well) has equally limiting races

I have faith in them though. They have risen to each occasion and cotinue to show great progress with this game's development (those are the coolest halflings I've ever seen or read about among other things), so I hope when it's all said and done the race/class options will feel ok. 

• 1151 posts
    November 6, 2017 9:28 AM PST

Darch said:

They explain it in the March Newsletter: https://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2017_march_loremaster/

Another hot button issue was that of the lack of a Cleric or Paladin class available to our Elves. While the superficial answer of “think of them as wood elves, not high elves” makes sense to most veteran gamers, there is a deeper lore meaning behind that rationale. Justin explained that the races that were prone to produce Clerics and Paladins were ones that were deeply connected to their deities, and that relationship was one that was central to their daily lives. The Elves are a bit different in that regard.

“While their pantheon is important to the Elves, their response to several tragic and divisive historical moments has superseded the way they see themselves. To a degree Elves have become more ideological than religious. While some races are separated into different factions based on which deity they worship, Elves are split between two extremes (Ashen and Ember) and the nominal middle called Lucent. Those division represent the way they think is best to protect and prosper their people. Is it interwoven with their worship? Yes. But faith isn’t the first-thought focus of their life. It’s fair to ask if that is an imbalance for them”

It is also important to note that many of the lore based decisions on which race can be which class are also dictated to some degree by overall game representations and balance, and more importantly that just because something is currently so, doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t change in the future. Elves are a good example here, as while they currently don’t produce the pious classes, they may, through future events or interactions, develop a sect that takes up that mantle.