Forums » The Paladin

Paladin Race/Class Picture

• 114 posts
    February 28, 2017 7:03 AM PST

The other thing to keep in mind is we haven't reached alpha testing yet. Everything so far is penciled in, with the exception of the major concepts (group-based play, no linear quests, etc.). Another thing to remember is there will be traditional alpha and beta testing, instead of a beta test disguised as early access for everyone. Let's say alpha testing last six months. That'll give them enough time and data to see how people choose their race/class combos (among other things), and they'll be able to adjust accordingly if not enough people are playing paladins (or any other class for that matter).

I play paladins because it's what I'm comfortable with and it matches my play style. However, I usually play a half elf paladin, and since I can't do that, I can play a human and make believe that I'm half elven. Yeah, I don't get anything stat bonuses or somewhat-pointy ears, but nobody said I can't use my imagination to have a bit of fun in my own head.

• 182 posts
    March 1, 2017 5:16 AM PST

I've rarely seen major design pillars change in Alpha or Beta in the past. If isn't changing in Pre-Alpha - I can pretty much give up hope that they're going through the major work of adding another race. It's more complicated than most people think. With new models and adjusted textures and itemization coming into play. Doing new races are never a simplye copy/paste job. Months of work tend to be involved. It would be ludicrous to task the art team on creating new assets past that point for a single class.

This post was edited by Verdic at March 1, 2017 5:18 AM PST
    • 1619 posts
    March 1, 2017 7:53 AM PST

Although I am in favor of no elves, I think the Progeny system will open up the possibility of half races. Also, they have expressed that in-game events may lead to new class/race combos.

• 106 posts
    March 1, 2017 11:38 PM PST

One thing I'd like to note - Racial restrictions on class don't always equate to low player class counts. Monks in vanilla EQ were limited to Humans. While they certainly weren't The most populous class (I'd have to say probably Druid for that) you rarely ran short on monks. I'll grant you that with the addition of iksar as a monk race in kunark you saw a boom in monk population, but even prior to that they were a highly played class.

This post was edited by Reafwalk at March 1, 2017 11:39 PM PST
    • 599 posts
    March 3, 2017 9:46 AM PST

Honestly i dont think the paladins having the fewest races to become them will affect them hardly at all for the mere fact that i am thinking that people pretty much decided what they were and are going to be before they even came out with the list, granted you might of wanted to be a paladin fo a different race but a paaldin all the same, plus most of the time theyre might be small advantages of being a particular race but for the most part its cosmetic, like i knew i want to be a paladin before i even pledge, just like other people decided to be a dire lord or anything else before they prolly even pledge the race didnt matter to them much, the play style of their character did and the lore behind it did.  

• 114 posts
    March 3, 2017 11:49 AM PST

Beefcake said:

Although I am in favor of no elves, I think the Progeny system will open up the possibility of half races. Also, they have expressed that in-game events may lead to new class/race combos.

Huh! I didn't even think about the progeny system leading to half races. Good thinking, Beef! And speaking of you being in favor of no elven paladins, I played EQ1 and saw that a system where classes and races are restricted worked to great effect, and I agree with your stance. I also like that they're going out on a limb with some of their combo restrictions. It sure is interesting that elves can't be certain races that they're known for in D&D-based lore. But just as this game isn't supposed to be a carbon copy of EQ1, I also like that it's not a carbon copy of D&D rulesets.

And back to what you were saying about the progeny, I could start with my usual elven ranger alt. That way, I can RP in my mind that she has a child with my husband's human and that's my main half-elven paladin. (I say that, of course, imagining the system would work that way ... I'm even taking my own theory with a grain of salt. lol)

• 35 posts
    March 4, 2017 8:01 PM PST

I've played many different classes in many different games (including EQ1) and I really hope that they will let elves play Pally. Seems wierd that elves can be shamans but not a pally? I don't find Dwarf or Human to be very appealing options with regard to Paladins. Come to think of it, seems odd that elves can't play clerics either. Both fun classes

• 1619 posts
    March 8, 2017 8:53 AM PST

The new official lore response about elves from the newsletter:

Another hot button issue was that of the lack of a Cleric or Paladin class available to our Elves. While the superficial answer of “think of them as wood elves, not high elves” makes sense to most veteran gamers, there is a deeper lore meaning behind that rationale. Justin explained that the races that were prone to produce Clerics and Paladins were ones that were deeply connected to their deities, and that relationship was one that was central to their daily lives. The Elves are a bit different in that regard.

“While their pantheon is important to the Elves, their response to several tragic and divisive historical moments has superseded the way they see themselves. To a degree Elves have become more ideological than religious. While some races are separated into different factions based on which deity they worship, Elves are split between two extremes (Ashen and Ember) and the nominal middle called Lucent. Those division represent the way they think is best to protect and prosper their people. Is it interwoven with their worship? Yes. But faith isn’t the first-thought focus of their life. It’s fair to ask if that is an imbalance for them”

• 35 posts
    March 8, 2017 12:17 PM PST

Good read thanks for posting Beef. I guess it would make more sense if the picture they used under "Elves" looked more like a wood elf than a high elf. I can't wait until racials are released, maybe racials will make playing a human pally worth it.

• 356 posts
    March 16, 2017 3:06 PM PDT

Shai said:

Verdic said:Lore is a terrible reason to reduce a class to two options.

Strongly disagree.  Coherent and consistent world-building is essential to the genre; it's no less important than sound systems design.  As Beefcake says, "Lore is not an arbitrary reason."  Limiting class/race combinations doesn't "destroy overall gameplay and balance."

I am encouraged by their willingness to base important design decisions solely on lore.

Agree. Lore is PERFECT reason to limit a class to certain races. Paladins and Clerics are extremely devout followers of faith...nothing "pagan"...so, their abilities are based upon a holy belief in a diety and a strong connection between the two. Some races are more spiritualistic...more animalistic...in nature. NOT the typical tenets of the faithful.

• 87 posts
    April 23, 2017 5:09 PM PDT

I hope they dont make the paladin to awesome, I dont want everyone running round being a paladin, Im hoping its the rarer or the classes picked to play and less disired to play perhaps because it might hopefully be more difficult and challenging to play. I find great accomplishment and reward in overcoming the odds that will be hopefully stacked against me! I do enjoy the thrill of a good challenge. I will be OP no matter the odds! I am Paladin! Challenge accepted? ;)  

• 1619 posts
    April 23, 2017 5:29 PM PDT

Don't worry. If you listen to all the gloom and doomers, there won't be any Paladins, because Elves can't be Paladins.

I believe people will choose a class first, then the race. But, what do I know?

This post was edited by Beefcake at April 23, 2017 5:42 PM PDT
    • 87 posts
    April 23, 2017 5:40 PM PDT

http://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2017_february_classes_of_pantheon says elves can't be a paladin. i want an elf paladin. is that bad? =(

• 1619 posts
    April 23, 2017 5:42 PM PDT

Sorry, stupid auto correct. I meant to say CANNOT be elves.

• 87 posts
    April 26, 2017 1:24 PM PDT

Im glad you said what you said Fulton

• 27 posts
    June 13, 2017 3:43 PM PDT

I am not really concerned that only humans and dwarves can be paladins. If i decide on playing a paladin it will most certainly be a dwarf!

• 4 posts
    July 6, 2017 6:28 AM PDT

Nolvu said:

Dwarf first, Paladin second.

This person gets it right Dwarf First, Paladin second.

Elves should stick with their Berry/Flower picking classes that they are good at Druid & Ranger and leave the Smiting/Crushing to the real men The Dwarfs.

• 2 posts
    September 22, 2017 10:39 AM PDT

I can see why there are only 2 races that can be a Paladin. If you look at the description of a Paladin, they were once Clerics. The only other race aside from Dwarves/Humans that are Clerics are the Dark Myr and they are considered Dire Lords since they are evil...

I'd love to see another race able to swing a holy sword but don't get too bogged down in what is given at release. Things can change.

• 4 posts
    September 26, 2017 12:22 PM PDT

Just adding my voice to this spirited debate.  Plenty of fantasy settings, even ones that try to appeal to everyone (WoW) restricts classes for races based on lore.  Hell only Blood Elves and Tauren can be paladins there.  I also understand that many people don't like playing humans in games cause they are a human IRL. However, there are also people like me that enjoy playing characters as if it were "me" and humans are perfect for that.  My interest in paladins is firmly rooted in my love for the Knights Templar part of history so I think it'd be safe to guess that theres a decent portion of the player base that still be human paladins even if every race could be paladins. 

• 2 posts
    September 28, 2017 6:19 PM PDT

I prefer race class restrictions based on more since this is a ROLE PLAYING game. So I have no complaints about the number of races available on release. When they expanded the races available for classes in Everquest (handling paladin) I always took it as the races mingling and having cultural changes as aa product of it. That being said the one thing that I really enjoyed about Everquest 2 was the ability to do a redemption quest turn an ogre shadow knight into a paladin. Also you could corrupt a paladin into aa shadow knight. I would have felt let down if someone could click a button and make an ogre paladin, but doing the quest for the story was very enjoyable.

I should have proofread that since I was on my phone. I prefer races based on lore. Handling paladin.

And now I realize my phone thinks halfling isn't a word.

Mod Edit: Consolidated triple post as per the guidelines.

This post was edited by Kilsin at September 29, 2017 2:52 AM PDT
    • 247 posts
    September 29, 2017 10:35 PM PDT

One fun little thought.  If paladins parallel their gaming predecessors, and are master undead slayers, why would humans and dwarves even need paladins on terminus? Neither race has a lore defined undead enemy, nor has either waged a specific war against an undead enemy.  Long live the halfling paladin! (or) All hail the paladin, smiter of evil!

• 48 posts
    October 27, 2017 3:49 PM PDT

Larr said:

One fun little thought.  If paladins parallel their gaming predecessors, and are master undead slayers, why would humans and dwarves even need paladins on terminus? Neither race has a lore defined undead enemy, nor has either waged a specific war against an undead enemy.  Long live the halfling paladin! (or) All hail the paladin, smiter of evil!

According to the lore, Halflings have more reason than anyone to pick up the shield and hammer and be Paladins!

Enlace permanente de imagen incrustada

• 247 posts
    October 30, 2017 9:51 PM PDT

Joy is in the eyes that see, Dulu. (this is my version of thumbs up) :)

• 1213 posts
    October 31, 2017 11:06 AM PDT

Halflings aren't connected to any deities though and otherwise aren't very pious. 

• 247 posts
    October 31, 2017 4:28 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Halflings aren't connected to any deities though and otherwise aren't very pious. 

Kiren, The ward of Flame. 

Of course, a different land, a god not their own... 

In an age littered with silent deities, how could you hold it against the halflings to hold onto something that held on to them so dearly?

This post was edited by Larr at October 31, 2017 4:30 PM PDT