Forums » The Elves

Elven Shaman

• 175 posts
    February 13, 2017 1:16 AM PST

I wasn't exactly sure whether this should go in the Race Discussion or Class Discussion Forum, so I took a shot.

Disclaimer: I am required to mention (multiple times actually, almost to the point of annoyance) in every post that I want to play a DARK MYR BARD as my main.....there we're done with that.

Back to the titular topic....

I was left wondering "what would I do if the infinitessimally, ridiculously improbable chance that VR, Brad McQuaid (and verily KILSIN himself!) would let Western civilization down, and bards would not be available at launch came to fruition?"...I took a look what else might make a good starting character.

The Elven Druid is pretty much standard fare in RPG's, MMO or not.  Tolkien's tree-hugging, sylvan, children of nature Lothlorien dwellers....yup...Pantheon's got them IN SPADES!

But...Elves can be SHAMEN?!?

Elves have generally been "life force" based beings, so Druid is, and always will be an obvious fit. 

But Shamen, while not "evil", are more in tune with "mysticism"...maybe even "death" based forces.

What is the significance of this difference within the Elven civilization?

If you remember the movie "Avatar", the Navi were sort of elf-like, albeit huge and blue (and freakishly intimate with their pony tails...eww).

And they DID LOVES THEM SOME TREES!

But they also had a "spritual" side, with the talking to the dead (through their 50.0 um single-mode fiber-optic tree root network of course...serious overkill, they could have traded a mere pittance of Unobtainium for a solid Cat 6A network...they are KILLING their IT budget!).

The Navi morphed it all into one belief system.

Will the Elves be similar?  Or will there be a more "guilded" approach? Disharmony within the people's song? (Enter Morgoth....)

This post was edited by corpserunner at February 13, 2017 1:19 AM PST
    • 171 posts
    February 13, 2017 6:31 PM PST
    It'll be interesting to see how VR expresses the Elven Shaman. Less nature, more "spirit" - will be cool to see how the Elven druids and shamans are related. Ogre Druids have a little different focus in their druidism according to VR, and I'm guessing the Elven Shaman may have a little different focus in their shamanism...
    • 5 posts
    May 8, 2017 6:25 AM PDT

Elf shaman might be a bit less common in typical high fantasy but it is definitely well represented. In Magic:The Gathering lore, you get to see many different planes of existence. Not all planes have elves, but many that do have subsets of elves that are either more primitive or for whatever reason have a "shaman" subtype. 

Check out this link to see a big list of "elf" cards. While some are "elf druid" and some are "elf knight" there are plenty of "elf shaman" for you to check out. After seeing the goth-ish elf model in the tower stream, I am definitely see some similarities with the card "Deathrite Shaman".

Personally, I see an elf shaman in pantheon as more religious than a druid. Since elves can't be clerics, the shaman is probably the religious leader of the elven culture.

• 801 posts
    May 17, 2017 6:00 PM PDT

I don't mean to butt in on your Elven boards, but as an Ogre Shaman it was very interesting to see the Elves having the Shaman class.  Over on the Shaman board I had postulated that the Elf, Human and Ogre Shaman will present 3 different version of play.

First off, I'm going to make a few assumptions:  The first is that we will have the Cannibalize line of spells, the second is that Ogres will have the highest base STA (thus highest base HP), but lowest WIS with the Human having average STA/WIS and the Elves having the lowest STA but highest WIS.  Lastly, your WIS will determine your base manapool.

With these few assumptions, what I think we'll see is the Ogre having the smallest base manapool but a huge pool of HP they can convert to mana with Cannibalize.  The Elves will have the highest base manapool but few HP they can convert with Cannibalize.  While adventuring in a group, the Ogre will be using cannibalize quite often, but quite safely given their HP.  Elves will be able to cast more spells before needing to cannibalize but will need to be far more carefuly given their low HP.

It will be interesting to see if this turns out to be true and to see just how easy it will be to get really high points in multiple stats.  I had a Troll Shamana in EQ1 and raising STA and WIS together was quite easy.

• 32 posts
    November 3, 2017 10:14 PM PDT

Given the blurb on the shaman, I think it makes sense. Of all the races, elves seem maybe even the most obsessed with the past. One can imagine the calling to shamanism in communing with their dead glory for guidance, and things like that.