Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

[REQUEST] Female character model in the next stream?

This topic has been closed.
    • 138 posts
    February 9, 2017 10:11 AM PST

Verdic said:

lol Didn't mean for you to think that was at you. Rumor used to just be a Rumor and it was funny how it happened because I saw one of her posts and said #Rumorhasit  when she made a statement I agreed with. Now her name says "Rumorhasit" I thought it was cute. lol. Sorry for the confusion! :) :)

Gamerchick said:

dorotea said:

I've always wondered why so often female characters show bare skin where male characters show armor. Granted these are magical worlds where "real world" rules of physics don't necessarily apply but the games never seem to explain how bare skin protects as well as plate mail.

At a minimum we should give female characters extra spells such as "protect bare boobs - 5 foot radius" that gives flesh the same armor class as plate or chain.

hahahahahaha!  I think I love you.

Nope no name change.  Just didn't put the Hasit part when signed up on Discord...  

@gamerchick. I thought he was insinuating we were the same person too!  I was going to roll with it and pretend to be you!  You look fantastic... I could do worse!! :D. Imagine the trouble we could get into being in two places at once.. we should consider our options... :D

• 213 posts
    February 9, 2017 10:25 AM PST

RumorHasit said:

um... If you can't tell its a female... is it a female??  or just a dude playing a character he SAYS is a female??? (I am sorry I had to ask... )...(but it begs the question.... when they don't look female enough to be easily spotted..and they are played by men with enough MALENESS in mannerisms and voice... are they really female?). 

Edit to add:  Of maybe instead of a Cohh you should have one of your female employees play a female character and talk in the stream... so its voice character compatible?

Exactly!!!  if there was a human female I totally missed it and I watched those videos, annnnnd... I still think gnomes look like robots.  :p

@Rumorhasit. You're so right! I missed a golden oppertunity there!  :) 

• 170 posts
    February 9, 2017 10:29 AM PST

Ok as a non-Female here is my take (p.s. I have been happily married 25 years to a female gamer). My observations are women don't want to be dressed slutty but sexy is 100% okay. The most important thing is they want to have options and I mean a lot of options. My wife has carried as many as 5 or 6 complete outfits in her bags so she could change on the fly. She'd carry 40 if she could but we are talking encumbrance and space limitations. Give the ladies a lot more clothes and throw in a lot of flowers and pets and other cosmetics so they will enjoy it. I have my most fun when my spouse is playing and having fun. Yes, our groups have wiped because she strays to grab a flower or something but still "Happy Wife, Happy Game-Life". But on the customization front if they get too many options she'll never heal because she's busy dying armor and dresses. 

• 219 posts
    February 9, 2017 10:37 AM PST

Gamerchick said:

I'm just curious and excited to pre plan my character.  :).  it's always a bunch of dudes every stream we gotta balance out all that heavy testosterone!  Haha

I cant wait to see the Dark Myr females ! I always play characters on how I feel about each race/class. I play male and female characters so I am also interested how the females will look. My wife always laughs at me because I make female characters that look like her. She is blonde with blue eyes and is beautiful. So when I make a Cleric I always make her look like my wife but when I play a Warrior I make him look like me. (Or as close to each of us as the game will allow in my race option)

I always perceive my characters in a way that makes sense to me. Clerics I always play as a female because I see them as being loving, compassionate, caring and endearing. (Like my wife)

Warriors I see as macho, manly, buff and all around kicken @$$. (Like me ! Not really though. Im pretty laid back and easy going)

• 2752 posts
    February 9, 2017 10:38 AM PST

I think being able to be sexy etc is fine but I think heavy cleavage outfits and tight dresses should be reserved to either casual clothing or maybe some caster cloth gear. I think EQ handled it very well from memory: armor was armor regardless of gender that for the most part covered your body for protection, then you had people who also would run around in their half-elf g-strings, wood elf side boob onesie, or dark elven bikinis. I think only a few of the armor models had cleavage showing, like female barbarians in chain and I think halflings in leather.  

• 563 posts
    February 9, 2017 10:41 AM PST

RumorHasit said:

um... If you can't tell its a female... is it a female??  or just a dude playing a character he SAYS is a female??? (I am sorry I had to ask... )...(but it begs the question.... when they don't look female enough to be easily spotted..and they are played by men with enough MALENESS in mannerisms and voice... are they really female?). 

Edit to add:  Of maybe instead of a Cohh you should have one of your female employees play a female character and talk in the stream... so its voice character compatible?

I Know your talking about game characters and who's playing them but this comes off as pretty offensive, I've known a lot of woman that had quite "manly" voices, and a lot of woman that looked more "manly" then some men, are they not woman by this definition? Not trying to get into a fight but the world is a diverse place, we shouldn't catagorize people into such little neat boxes :)

I love the way Elder scrolls handles armours, and from what I can remember of Vanguard they did a great job aswell. Lighter armours like cloth I don't think matter, but for medium and heavy armours I cannot stand when the male characters get awesome full coverage, but the female model is "sexed" up showing legs, stomach and cleavage. :S I'm much more happy leaving the sexy alluring clothes to RP/city wear and not my armours. I personally think an armour can still look plenty sexy (if not more so) without showing a ton of skin, I think it all comes down to how its designed to fit the female character.

I think the best option would be to have a reasonable mixture of both, so we can all play the way we like, as long as theres no chainmail bikinis (as others have mentioned lol) I'm pretty happy :P

This post was edited by Rachael at February 9, 2017 11:11 AM PST
    • 219 posts
    February 9, 2017 10:41 AM PST

Abacda said:

Ok as a non-Female here is my take (p.s. I have been happily married 25 years to a female gamer). My observations are women don't want to be dressed slutty but sexy is 100% okay. The most important thing is they want to have options and I mean a lot of options. My wife has carried as many as 5 or 6 complete outfits in her bags so she could change on the fly. She'd carry 40 if she could but we are talking encumbrance and space limitations. Give the ladies a lot more clothes and throw in a lot of flowers and pets and other cosmetics so they will enjoy it. I have my most fun when my spouse is playing and having fun. Yes, our groups have wiped because she strays to grab a flower or something but still "Happy Wife, Happy Game-Life". But on the customization front if they get too many options she'll never heal because she's busy dying armor and dresses. 

That is so priceless !!! Thanks for sharing thats awesome. I would love to be in your group and die because you would see " Sorry about that I was grabbing this purple lilly" I would laugh so hard. (My wife loves Lillies btw)

+100 to this !

• 187 posts
    February 9, 2017 10:42 AM PST

Abacda said:

I scared my cat because I have been guilty of the, "oh, MUST have the shiny!" and dragged the group into trouble... so I laughed out loud, and by loud, I mean loud enough to startle the cat. :D

I'm not even all that girlie in RL, but I love my girlie things in game!

• 110 posts
    February 9, 2017 10:55 AM PST

Iksar said:

I think being able to be sexy etc is fine but I think heavy cleavage outfits and tight dresses should be reserved to either casual clothing or maybe some caster cloth gear. I think EQ handled it very well from memory: armor was armor regardless of gender that for the most part covered your body for protection, then you had people who also would run around in their half-elf g-strings, wood elf side boob onesie, or dark elven bikinis. I think only a few of the armor models had cleavage showing, like female barbarians in chain and I think halflings in leather.  

The funny thing is I don't remember (or I was too young to remember) back in the late '70s when Wonder Woman was the bomb-diggety, and people didn't complain about her armor. (I'm sure there were some people who had an issue with it, now that I think about it.) But I remember *everyone* thought WW was a bad-ass superhero, even though her outfit just covered her torso. Whether it's a comic book character or a video game, I've always just assumed armor like that was mystical and it protected the rest of the body through its magic. I mean, when you get down to it, you could make the arguement that how could donning a certain circlet give you +2 to your armor class, give you improved intelligence, or give you the ability to cast a certain spell? You just put a metal band on your head. It's all about suspending disbelief in one way or another.

• 2752 posts
    February 9, 2017 11:17 AM PST

Lghtngfan said:

The funny thing is I don't remember (or I was too young to remember) back in the late '70s when Wonder Woman was the bomb-diggety, and people didn't complain about her armor. (I'm sure there were some people who had an issue with it, now that I think about it.) But I remember *everyone* thought WW was a bad-ass superhero, even though her outfit just covered her torso. Whether it's a comic book character or a video game, I've always just assumed armor like that was mystical and it protected the rest of the body through its magic. I mean, when you get down to it, you could make the arguement that how could donning a certain circlet give you +2 to your armor class, give you improved intelligence, or give you the ability to cast a certain spell? You just put a metal band on your head. It's all about suspending disbelief in one way or another.

I think my issue with it is it is almost never consistant. Unless the armor is gender specific it is completely absurd to me that it would ever come out like this (no idea what game this is): 

Now if you want to add some gender specific armor that is "sexy" and magically protective, okay sure. But having steel breastplate not be extremely similar, espcially coverage wise, between genders is kind of what leads the sexism stuff. 

• 138 posts
    February 9, 2017 11:43 AM PST

Abacda said:

.  My husband would probably agree with this all the way to the end hahaha!!

• 129 posts
    February 9, 2017 11:44 AM PST

lol @ Rumor. I like it.

• 769 posts
    February 9, 2017 11:44 AM PST

If they get chain mail bikinis, I demand chain mail speedos.

• 200 posts
    February 9, 2017 11:50 AM PST
    Exactly. If I have to look like I raided Victoria's secret, the guys should too :P.
    • 129 posts
    February 9, 2017 11:52 AM PST

Hey HEY. Nothing is sexier than a woman who can rock a solid bucket of metal and grunt like a barbarian. Just sayin.

• 138 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:02 PM PST

Rachael said:

RumorHasit said:

I Know your talking about game characters and who's playing them but this comes off as pretty offensive, I've known a lot of woman that had quite "manly" voices, and a lot of woman that looked more "manly" then some men, are they not woman by this definition? Not trying to get into a fight but the world is a diverse place, we shouldn't catagorize people into such little neat boxes :)

I love the way Elder scrolls handles armours, and from what I can remember of Vanguard they did a great job aswell. Lighter armours like cloth I don't think matter, but for medium and heavy armours I cannot stand when the male characters get awesome full coverage, but the female model is "sexed" up showing legs, stomach and cleavage. :S I'm much more happy leaving the sexy alluring clothes to RP/city wear and not my armours. I personally think an armour can still look plenty sexy (if not more so) without showing a ton of skin, I think it all comes down to how its designed to fit the female character.

I think the best option would be to have a reasonable mixture of both, so we can all play the way we like, as long as theres no chainmail bikinis (as others have mentioned lol) I'm pretty happy :P

. I am sorry Rachael .. I didn't mean it to sound offensive.  I should have taken the time to say it better.  I absolutely agree that the world is full of all kinds of great people.  I am not a girly girl myself.  But I can be quite feminine.  Let me try to say it better:   I think I was more speaking to the complete lack of feminine.  Which is what I took to be GamerChicks original post.  I think maybe when you look at the context of us becoming so familiar with the "guys" behind the characters being played... Watching them in YouTube interviews and streams and listening to them in Discord and really getting a sense of them as people.  We in a sense know them from afar... we know what they look like in real life even.... We KNOW they are male.  Combine that with the fact that many of us honestly had no idea the characters they were playing were female until they said they were. (Since the female models are still very much a WIP)  I don't think it is a stretch to feel as a female left out... 

It doesn't upset me to think they didn't have any females playing yet.  I hadn't even thought of it yet myself.  But when I read Gamerchicks post I was just like.. YEAH!! That would be AWESOME, I haven't seen one yet!! (I literally thought I hadn't seen a female character yet!!)... So my suggestion to have a female voice was simply a suggestion as a possibility to bridge the gap to make it more obviously "female" in lieu of having the female characters more fleshed out by the next stream.  (I am sorry if I didn't explain it better!!).  I feel like I overexplain too much and its overkill.. but then when I don't.. well... I was offensive and I am sorry!  It wasn't my intent. 

• 1434 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:12 PM PST

I think lore could determine the style of different armor appearances to a degree. Maybe one race is a bit more sultry, while another is more conservative. If someone is offended by one or the other, pick the race that better suits you. There is a pretty wide range of options before one arrives at platemail bikinis.

• 3016 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:13 PM PST

UnknownQuantity said:

Amris said:

I'm a little let down with the female character "they won't be sexy" business. I'm just hoping that they'll put in some optional "town wear" that allows us to enjoy being a bit sultry. Or even some

I understand why having them 100% sexualized is bad. However, I also feel that also says that female sexuality is negative, that women should not want to look or feel sexy. That, in its own way, is as sexist as making all women sexualized all the time.

So, while I'm excited to see them, I also hope that they'll allow us the freedom later to decide for ourselves whether we want personally to look sexy or not. Some of us are not ashamed of our sexuality.

Why is sexualized bad?  

That is a matter of perspective IMO.

I can see people wanting a more realistic feel to the game though.  I can also see people in this day and age overrating to anything that shows women in an objectified way.  It's why a lot of companies are bowing down and accepting a more conservative model.

Don't we get enough of that in real life?  Sexualized, objectified and fat shaming ...I don't want that sorry.  I'm real, I'm human and I am female.  That's it.   I'm not a girly girl.  Never have been.  Fluffy, frittery..helpless..is not my game.   Don't believe I'm female..not gonna send you pics.  Tough. :P

• 563 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:17 PM PST

RumorHasit said:

I am sorry Rachael .. I didn't mean it to sound offensive.  I should have taken the time to say it better.  I absolutely agree that the world is full of all kinds of great people.  I am not a girly girl myself.  But I can be quite feminine.  Let me try to say it better:   I think I was more speaking to the complete lack of feminine.  Which is what I took to be GamerChicks original post.  I think maybe when you look at the context of us becoming so familiar with the "guys" behind the characters being played... Watching them in YouTube interviews and streams and listening to them in Discord and really getting a sense of them as people.  We in a sense know them from afar... we know what they look like in real life even.... We KNOW they are male.  Combine that with the fact that many of us honestly had no idea the characters they were playing were female until they said they were. (Since the female models are still very much a WIP)  I don't think it is a stretch to feel as a female left out... 

It doesn't upset me to think they didn't have any females playing yet.  I hadn't even thought of it yet myself.  But when I read Gamerchicks post I was just like.. YEAH!! That would be AWESOME, I haven't seen one yet!! (I literally thought I hadn't seen a female character yet!!)... So my suggestion to have a female voice was simply a suggestion as a possibility to bridge the gap to make it more obviously "female" in lieu of having the female characters more fleshed out by the next stream.  (I am sorry if I didn't explain it better!!).  I feel like I overexplain too much and its overkill.. but then when I don't.. well... I was offensive and I am sorry!  It wasn't my intent. 

Hehe, I know you didn't mean to come off in an offensive way at all and I didn't take any offence to it, no need to apologize, just wanted to point it out that it might be taken that way :) I do agree it would be very awesome to see some of the women they have on the team take part in the upcoming stream :D

• 138 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:18 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

UnknownQuantity said:

Amris said:

I'm a little let down with the female character "they won't be sexy" business. I'm just hoping that they'll put in some optional "town wear" that allows us to enjoy being a bit sultry. Or even some

I understand why having them 100% sexualized is bad. However, I also feel that also says that female sexuality is negative, that women should not want to look or feel sexy. That, in its own way, is as sexist as making all women sexualized all the time.

So, while I'm excited to see them, I also hope that they'll allow us the freedom later to decide for ourselves whether we want personally to look sexy or not. Some of us are not ashamed of our sexuality.

Why is sexualized bad?  

I can see people wanting a more realistic feel to the game though.  I can also see people in this day and age overrating to anything that shows women in an objectified way.  It's why a lot of companies are bowing down and accepting a more conservative model.

Don't we get enough of that in real life?  Sexualized, objectified and fat shaming ...I don't want that sorry.  I'm real, I'm human and I am female.  That's it.   I'm not a girly girl.  Never have been.  Fluffy, frittery..helpless..is not my game.   Don't believe I'm female..not gonna send you pics.  Tough. :P

You could send me some cookies though Cana!! I would LOVE THAT!!! :).   I don't like OVERsexualized either... but as a mom who likes her kids to play... maybe I am biased... I do like to dress up my females though in cool clothes... (CLOTHES being the operative word!! Haha)

• 138 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:25 PM PST

Rachael said:

RumorHasit said:

I am sorry Rachael .. I didn't mean it to sound offensive.  I should have taken the time to say it better.  I absolutely agree that the world is full of all kinds of great people.  I am not a girly girl myself.  But I can be quite feminine.  Let me try to say it better:   I think I was more speaking to the complete lack of feminine.  Which is what I took to be GamerChicks original post.  I think maybe when you look at the context of us becoming so familiar with the "guys" behind the characters being played... Watching them in YouTube interviews and streams and listening to them in Discord and really getting a sense of them as people.  We in a sense know them from afar... we know what they look like in real life even.... We KNOW they are male.  Combine that with the fact that many of us honestly had no idea the characters they were playing were female until they said they were. (Since the female models are still very much a WIP)  I don't think it is a stretch to feel as a female left out... 

Hehe, I know you didn't mean to come off in an offensive way at all and I didn't take any offence to it, no need to apologize, just wanted to point it out that it might be taken that way :) I do agree it would be very awesome to see some of the women they have on the team take part in the upcoming stream :D

. No Rachael I am very grateful you pointed it out.. I have a massive migraine and I did not even "think before I spoke"... you taking the time to point it out allowed me to go back and reread what I wrote and listen to it from the standpoint you presented and then to clarify it for anyone who might have already read it and taken offense!! I appreciate it A LOT!!  I really do!!!  :D

• 169 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:32 PM PST

I think people are too sensitive when it comes to this topic.   

Entertainment is for fun.  Seeing women and men in skimpy outfits can be part of the fun.  Obviously, it doesn't have to be.

This isn't really something I thought about much with regards to this game.  Everquest did have a scantily clad high elf as their poster girl to draw in young men (which was the main demographic at the time).  In the game, women were quite blocky and wore full armor for the most part.  There was little in the way of relationships between the NPCs if there was anything at all.

Personally, I can find enjoyment in images of curvy women in game, but it can also be a distraction.  If they are scantily clad it can be even more distracting.  It really depends on the game and what they want it to be.  I don't see Pantheon as a game that will be sexualized.  Everquest and Vanguard didn't appear to be to me aside from the High Elf wizard game cover.  

• 169 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:35 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

UnknownQuantity said:

Amris said:

Why is sexualized bad?  

I don't think we should shame anyone who is overweight, but we might encourage them to change in order to be a healthier person.

I'm not sure there is a connection there with wanting to take some enjoyment from people who are healthy and attractive in game.  That doesn't mean we/I want to put down people in real life.

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:40 PM PST

RumorHasit said:

Kilsin said:

We have had a female in every stream!

I played the female Rogue in our first ever stream, then was in the backup group in the second one and in the last stream our Gnome is a female model (hard to tell, I know) plus we had a female human model ;)

If you go back and look through the 3 streams you will be able to spot female characters but we will try and fit another one in if possible, they are all still a WIP so we just try to show off the newest additions and not all of them come in male and female yet :)

Female Warrior in the middle. Personally think it's nice to see a woman in full plate for a change. (also the gnome is female, but obviously a bit harder to tell :) )

This post was edited by Roenick at February 9, 2017 12:42 PM PST
    • 441 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:42 PM PST

Iksar said:

Sexy and trashy are two different things. IMO this pic takes it too far.