Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

[Documentary]. Secrets Of The Viking Sword

• 213 posts
    February 8, 2017 2:53 PM PST

This is for any of you who are interested in blacksmithing, it's a very good documentry.  This is about as close as I've ever come to seeing real blacksmithing being done not counting renaissance festivals where I watched a guy make small bits of twisted metal.  

in this documentry this guy makes a sword- from scratch.  It's the most epic thing I've ever seen... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTlmrAh1oHI&

Mod Edit: Fixed the link for you :)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at February 8, 2017 5:16 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 8, 2017 3:49 PM PST

Very cool.  Thanks for the link ;)

• 138 posts
    February 8, 2017 4:43 PM PST

this is so cool!!  I have ALWAYS wanted to learn this kind of stuff!! (not sure when I will fit that in my day, or anything.. but still... a girl can dream :)

• 9115 posts
    February 8, 2017 5:17 PM PST

Very cool, thanks for sharing :)

• 213 posts
    February 8, 2017 5:53 PM PST

RumorHasit said:

this is so cool!!  I have ALWAYS wanted to learn this kind of stuff!! (not sure when I will fit that in my day, or anything.. but still... a girl can dream :)

I know right! Same here. While I understand how mass production has changed our world for the better I can't help but be saddened by the fact that a real craftsman like this are such a rarity now, and that the best way for me to really see this craft being done is by video instead of just having some town craftsman I can go watch.  

This post was edited by Gamerchick at February 8, 2017 5:54 PM PST
    • 213 posts
    February 8, 2017 5:58 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Very cool, thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for fixing the link Ben.  :).  

• 780 posts
    February 8, 2017 8:06 PM PST

Very cool.  Thanks for the link.

• 159 posts
    February 9, 2017 11:06 AM PST

History channel has a great show, Forged in Fire. It's a weapon smithing competition. A few nasty injuries here and there, some real botched attempts at forgecraft, but a good show.

This post was edited by Xilshale at February 9, 2017 11:07 AM PST
    • 563 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:47 PM PST

Thanks for the link Gamerchick, very interesting documentary. I've always loved NOVA's Doc's

Xilshale said:

History channel has a great show, Forged in Fire. It's a weapon smithing competition. A few nasty injuries here and there, some real botched attempts at forgecraft, but a good show.

I think I've caught that show a few times, pretty fun to watch :D I've always thought it would be really cool to be able to do this stuff and make my own swords! xD

This post was edited by Rachael at February 9, 2017 12:48 PM PST
    • 839 posts
    February 9, 2017 11:08 PM PST

Thats my sword!! (sort of) its a Norman Broad Sword, except I made a modification later of a larger hilt with a friend to make it weighted better but it also looked a hell of a lot uglier after we were finished with it lol. 

It was made by a blacksmith in Australia who used to make weapons and armour for ours and other combat groups, super talented guy who was dedicated to doing it all in the traditional way.  I got to stay with him for 2 days to see it being finished which was awesome!

Unfortunately during the tempering process it got a very slight bend in the blade, didnt matter to me i just named it "Banana Blade" haha :) He insisted on me taking a helmet for free to make up for it!

He also made me a chest and shoulder suit of Metal Lamella... best armour ever! (but a bit out of period lol) and thanks to him and his blacksmithing handy work he literally saved my shoulder / arm from being destroyed by 2h axe. Ended up with a chip and fracture to collar bone, some very bent plates of lamella and an epic battle story... that sadly ended in my death lol

Will watch this in full on the weekend for sure!

• 2886 posts
    February 10, 2017 5:32 AM PST

Ah I think I've seen this before! Cool stuff.