Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

How you communicate

• 151 posts
    February 7, 2017 6:10 AM PST

The "Does Voice Chat ruin immersion?" thread made me think about something I find interesting.

I once had a boss that could take a blank piece of paper and write an entire white paper or statement of work from scratch in under 30 minutes. He could punch out documents faster than anyone I've ever met. Seriously a skill I do not have.

I on the other hand communicate poorly on paper. Documentation is the worst part of my job for me. I can, however, talk the ears off of an elephant. When I am passionate about something I can talk for hours about it.

I am curious if that is why I prefer voice chat over typing.

• 116 posts
    February 7, 2017 6:33 AM PST

Being a REAL slow typer, using the "hunt and peck" method, I rely on voice chat for the important info and planning etc.

• 97 posts
    February 7, 2017 8:24 AM PST

I definitely prefer typing/text for in game communication. In the real world, probably the same, prefer texts for something short but if I have something to say that would take more than 2-3 texts then I would rather pick up the phone.

• 781 posts
    February 7, 2017 9:02 AM PST
    • 97 posts
    February 7, 2017 9:24 AM PST

Kelem said:

Here are a few other areas as well guys that kinda speak about voice chat.  :)  I personally like voice chat because my typing isn't as fast as I would like it to be..lol

*cheers

What better way to get better than typing every day as you play :)

• 151 posts
    February 7, 2017 9:45 AM PST

Quintra said:

Kelem said:

Here are a few other areas as well guys that kinda speak about voice chat.  :)  I personally like voice chat because my typing isn't as fast as I would like it to be..lol

*cheers

What better way to get better than typing every day as you play :)

EQ is how I learned to type. Playing in the dark before back-lit keyboards. I am still a hunt and peck guy. I just peck really fast. I cant do the whole hand typing thing like they used to teach in school.

• 97 posts
    February 7, 2017 9:50 AM PST

I've pretty much grown up with computers so I'm pretty efficient. Usually I can type without looking down as long as it's a keyboard I'm familiar with. In my EQ heyday I used to give LONG raid instructions  and typed it all out word by word, every time. I helped me get even better at typing, and also helped me to learn the raid mechanics better, as I had to be able to articulate what was going to happen. It was a lot to type out, but honestly I really liked it. An added benefit, in my opinion, is that having something in writing allows you to go back and re-read something, especially instructions. And the ability to go AFK for a brief minute and come back and check what's been said while you were gone.

• 1618 posts
    February 7, 2017 9:53 AM PST

For NPCs and quests, I can't stand to read text, especially long text. Voice overs are the only way to go. Unfortunately, Pantheon is not heading that way.

For players, definitely voice, then secret text if I want to make fun of someone on a group voice channel.

• 1860 posts
    February 7, 2017 10:59 AM PST

While I am rusty now, in early EQ...pre teamspeak...everyone learned to use quick typing abbreviations.

I think quick typing and abbreviations can be more efficient than voice at times. 

Multiple people can't talk at once over the top of each other, there are no sound issues/background noise/mic variations/mumbling/accents etc.  Text is saved so you can scroll up and see who said what, and in what order, in case someone missed it.  There are other benefits but I won't get into them all.  There are actually quite a lot of benefits to type over voice chat.

As far as NPC voiceovers, they are fine if it is limited to special circumstances.  I couldn't stand it in SWToR.  It is sooo slow.  I ended up space baring through all of the NPC voice overs.  I don't want to spend 2 mins listening to a NPC talk everytime I want to do anything in game.

This post was edited by philo at February 7, 2017 11:02 AM PST
    • 7 posts
    February 7, 2017 1:31 PM PST

I use text communication for quick messages but will call for conversations. This is pretty universal in this day and age for social or work place interactions. I dont see why games should be any different. Text messages out of groups and voice chat in groups, seems fair to me.