Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What will you play now?

• 521 posts
    February 6, 2017 7:23 AM PST

Human Ranger, or maybe a Human Bard IF it made it to launch.

• 1921 posts
    February 6, 2017 7:40 AM PST

Playe a gnome rogue from 1999 to 2004.  Never again will I play a character without Gate/Bind.

I have no interest in being blamed for the failure of a group/raid, so healer or tank are out for me.

That leaves DPS & CC roles.  For the moment, based on what I've seen of the game, DPS is my preferred role.  Being able to adjust my damage type "on the fly" is a positive feature, so that leaves INT casters (NEC, WIZ, SUM, ENC).  However, so far there's been no indication it will be possible to determine weaknesses, susceptibilities, immunities or resistances to damage types via any in game mechanic, so that's a big negative (similar to EQ1), as a counter-point.

Historically, of those, WIZ has three damage types (fire, ice, magic/lightning), and I despise pets in all forms, so Wizard is my choice for class, at the moment.  If CC actually ends up being "required" instead of just "desired" and Wizards have a hard time fulfilling that role with just Root, Enchanter might be my backup class choice.  They also get at least one DoT, which has some draw for me, given the challenges wizards create for themselves in chain pulling groups. 

The recent FAQ update has apparently(?) removed the feature of being able to change spells from DD to AE on the fly (or to change the number of targets?), so that's a bit concerning.  If AE's end up being pointless because CC is REQUIRED then.. AE's will end up being gimmicks and that makes for sad wizards.  Put another way, designing a class around AE damage and then having 95%+ of the game REQUIRE CC is problematic unless AE's ignore mez'd mobs and/or AE's don't break root, both of which lead to other problems.

As far as race, I would rather NOT chase water breathing and night-sight items for 50 levels, so Dark Myr.  If there is another Wizard race that has the same vision as Dark Myr, I may consider them as well.  But for a certainty, not human.  Order of preference after Dark Myr would be Archai, Gnome, Elf.  I'd have to see their racial abilities and any synergies that might exist for a Wizard to be drawn away from Dark Myr.

• 14 posts
    February 6, 2017 7:49 AM PST

Right now, most likely Halfling Druid (something I never thought I'd say, since I never play Halflings, but I really like Pantheon's take on them).  Possibly Elf or Archai Shaman instead- or Cleric, if they do end up getting added to Elves (not particularly interested in any of their current race options).

• 97 posts
    February 6, 2017 7:59 AM PST

I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of Paladin race options at the current time. Hopefully this will change, but based on the information given today, it may be enough for me to cross over to the dark side and roll a Dire Lord. I still don't know what race though! 

• 51 posts
    February 6, 2017 8:02 AM PST

Either a Dark Myr dire lord or a human paladin.

• 103 posts
    February 6, 2017 8:14 AM PST

Ill probably do Human Ranger if theyre not too geared as a pet class, if not itll probably be an alt and main an Elf Warrior instead. Guess ill settle for Halfling Rogue because I got to have one but I wouldve preferred a Rogue Myr.

Kinda screwed the Halflings IMO. Could use a non heals caster (wizard or enchanter) and some more melee (monk). Something about having daggers that scale down to look like theyre 6 inches (or 2ft tall bows) makes me question their destructive power. Almost as discouraging as a tank that looks like he weighs 40lbs wet and in full armor. Which leaves only Druid and Bard for halflings... not really my kind of classes.

Hell, many of the races got screwed. Some classes too. Ranger? Your sole bow using DPS class? Only 3 options? Really? 3 Clerics? 2 Paladins!? Might want to rethink some of these. Little too restrictive.

This post was edited by Kayo at February 6, 2017 8:17 AM PST
    • 2886 posts
    February 6, 2017 8:23 AM PST

Kayo said:

Guess ill settle for Halfling Rogue because I got to have one but I wouldve preferred a Rogue Myr.

But Dark Myr can be Rogues!

• 72 posts
    February 6, 2017 8:24 AM PST

I usually play a dwarf cleric Viggo Dirtnapper, or an elven warrior Alliastrel Shadowraven...I really want to play a chanter or monk though! I had utmost respect for both classes in eq, the cIasses i didnt play. I really want to start with something out of my comfort zone, unless you count a controller from City of Heroes. 

• 178 posts
    February 6, 2017 8:28 AM PST

I try to play a different class in every game I end up playing (been a long stretch between games, at the moment, on account of kids). I've mever played a buffer or a healer so if I go that route I am thinking Ogre Shaman. That will depend, of course, on my ability to group up with others I know in the early go. If their choices are such I won't be able to group up then I will choose what I always chose stretching back to the pen and paper days of D&D which was a thief - in this case rogue. Probably a halfling rogue since it doesn't look like there will be as many halflings running around as other races - based on class availability. However, should that simply translate into a whole ton of halfling rogues running around then I'll choose a rogue in a different race - human or dark myr - again depending on the selection of others I know and my ability to group up with them.

• 103 posts
    February 6, 2017 8:30 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Kayo said:

Guess ill settle for Halfling Rogue because I got to have one but I wouldve preferred a Rogue Myr.

But Dark Myr can be Rogues!

I Know but I must play a Halfling =\

Maybe ill do Ranger Halfling instead. That way ill have room for Myr Rogue, and just save human for one of the many other classes they get like Dire Lord or Monk.

• 194 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:08 AM PST

I'll most likely roll a human ranger.  Though I'll possibly go paladin.  Hopefully I'll be able to figure out what best fits my play-style during testing.

• 129 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:40 AM PST

Still sour about the lack of an Elf Paladin - but i'll just have to be a Human. I have no desire to be 2 feet tall and blue. lol Dwarves look awsome, but they aren't for me.

• 148 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:41 AM PST

Main will be an Elven Ranger

For alts I'm planning on a shaman though the race I'm torn on now, and a Dwarven Paladin

• 595 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:48 AM PST

I have to say, as of now nothing's changed for me.  I will be playing some combination of Ogre/Skar Dire Lord/Shaman spread across two characters.  These two characters will represent the needs of the two different groups they will be playing with.  Generally, my two brothers, my wife and I keep characters together and I generally tank in that group, hence Dire Lord.  And my wife and I generally have a duo that we focus on when the four of us are unable to play (RL >.<) - since she also likes to tank (devout Paladin type, that one) I will likely need to provide some heals/support; hence Shaman.

I had the race combos for Shaman and Dire Lord pretty well pegged, so I've had lots of time to let them sink in.  I have to say, I was quite intrigued by John playing the Archai Shaman in the December stream, so there is some non 0% chance that Archai makes an appearance.  Other than those two classes, I will possess an Enchanter at some point, and since I am very curious about the Gnomes and their natural affinity (obsession?) for the arcane, that seems like a good fit.

And of course, if things go as planned, there will be many others ;)

This post was edited by Nikademis at February 6, 2017 9:49 AM PST
    • 93 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:52 AM PST

Human Paladin

• 1303 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:53 AM PST

Right out of the gate I'll have to run with a Dark Myr Necromancer, because I have faith if the dev team to have Necros fully functional at release. :) 

For a first alt an Archai or Skar Shaman looks like a lot of fun.  And a second alt would have to be a Dwarf Paladin. I'd lean Dwarf there over human, but really gotta see what they look like and what kind of personality the Dwarves have to know for sure. Plus, I have to have a brewmaster somewhere, right?

• 633 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:54 AM PST

Dark Myr Necromancer and Halfling Druid are my most likely choices, but also depends on what my wife and friends choose.

• 430 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:59 AM PST

Elf or Archai Shaman , Maybe a Elf Druid or Dark Myr ...

This post was edited by Shea at February 6, 2017 2:48 PM PST
    • 166 posts
    February 6, 2017 10:06 AM PST

Already thought about my first 2 characters.

The first one will for sure be a druid, but I'm not sure if it will be a dark myr or an oger.

At the moment I tend to oger druid, because then the dark myr bard would be the second character.

Nothing 100% set in stone, but this are my current thoughts.

This post was edited by Landbert at February 6, 2017 10:50 AM PST
    • 1860 posts
    February 6, 2017 10:09 AM PST

What I will play in the long run is most likely some sort of wizard.  Without knowing base stats and racial abilities I can't pick a race.

I won't know what race/class combos I want to play through the levels with first until the progeny rewards are released.

Basically, the race/class list didn't change anything afaic.  There still isn't enough info to make an educated decision.

This post was edited by philo at February 6, 2017 6:32 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    February 6, 2017 10:14 AM PST

Very difficult to say as I need to know the racial stats/traits for the races. The prospective characters:

Halfling Bard, Druid if it doesn't make release.

Elven Enchanter

Then i'll hold out for a lizardfolk race for a monk/melee class. ;)

• 138 posts
    February 6, 2017 10:17 AM PST

I'm inclined to say a Ogre Dire Lord, but that's based on having very little knowledge of what a DL will be, exactly. I'm fairly certain they will be evil-ish tanks, but at this point that is purly conjecture. I've heard they're specifically NOT ShadowKnights, but I have no clue what that means. The SK was one of my favorite classes in EQ, so I'm trying to get somewhere close to that once again. I'd be excited to see feign death, lifetaps, skelle pet, and maybe a little harm touch, but we'll see; the one thing I gather from the class description is there will likely be fear for the DL class.

• 428 posts
    February 6, 2017 10:20 AM PST

So dissapointed in seeing some of these restrictions. 

• 318 posts
    February 6, 2017 10:30 AM PST

ArchMageSalamar said:

Elf Summoner!

Kinda surprised to see there are no Elven Clerics.

Yeah that is surprising now that you mention it. You'd think they'd have Elf Clerics and no Elf Shamans, like EQ. 

Currently, shamans have 5 race options and Clerics only have 3. 

• 189 posts
    February 6, 2017 10:44 AM PST
    Sooo hard to choose! I think it will take me right up to release to have anything concrete. I'm still battling with the limited choices for Clerics. So probably:
    1) Dwarf Cleric
    2) Halfling Rogue
    3) Gnome Wizard
    4) Ogre Warrior

If Necro makes it to release it will definitly be a Necro of some sort.