Forums » The Paladin

Crusader became paladin

• 272 posts
    January 29, 2017 8:27 PM PST

Too much speculation I suppose, easier to go by the classic name if you're going with the classic role.  Oh well.

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 29, 2017 8:29 PM PST
    • 374 posts
    January 29, 2017 10:03 PM PST

Iiiiiinnnnteresting... scandalous!

• 8521 posts
    January 30, 2017 1:25 AM PST

This was actually discussed in a VIP thread and I jumped the gun and changed the class title without realising that we hadn't released it to everyone yet! Sorry, but yes, Paladin is now the new name for Crusader for a few reasons but mainly because we felt the name might not fully fit what we have in mind for the class after all, so we're going to run with Paladin. 

• 466 posts
    January 30, 2017 7:02 AM PST

:/ You have ruined my origin story 

• 4270 posts
    January 30, 2017 7:13 AM PST

Hmm... how interesting! Just when I was starting to think it would be something quite different. I wasn't really planning on playing one anyway though regardless, so I guess it doesn't really matter to me that much haha. My first serious MMO character was a paladin in early EQ, but I feel like that left me with a bad taste in my mouth for them, because they were spread way too thin. I have steered clear of that archetype ever since. Curious to see how VR handles them, but probably from a distance haha.

• 272 posts
    January 30, 2017 9:11 AM PST

Kilsin said:

This was actually discussed in a VIP thread and I jumped the gun and changed the class title without realising that we hadn't released it to everyone yet! Sorry, but yes, Paladin is now the new name for Crusader for a few reasons but mainly because we felt the name might not fully fit what we have in mind for the class after all, so we're going to run with Paladin. 

Good to know since real topics seem to happen where most of us can't see them

In that case shouldn't you just save the moderation time and close the non vip except for announcements and official releases of set info?

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 30, 2017 2:20 PM PST
    • 273 posts
    January 30, 2017 9:52 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Your faction with NonVIPS has gotten lower...

This post was edited by Larr at January 30, 2017 9:52 AM PST
    • 131 posts
    January 30, 2017 10:22 AM PST

I noticed that too! It seemed like the Crusader class was very paladin-esque but seeing the name officially change to paladin leads me to believe the class will in fact be much more EQ-style off-tank which I particularly am liking.

• 4270 posts
    January 30, 2017 10:28 AM PST

It's not official until they change the name on https://www.pantheonmmo.com/#section3 lol

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 30, 2017 10:28 AM PST
    • 315 posts
    January 30, 2017 12:11 PM PST

You are right there @ Bazgrim! Well, that makes for news on tomorrow's show and gives us another class speculation show. So,  I thank you kindly in the name of the VoT Crew Kilsin you are the man, even if your fingers were faster than the mind ;)

• 198 posts
    January 30, 2017 3:06 PM PST

Well, this is... meh. Was liking the entire Crusader thing we had going on. I guess more cookie-cutter Paladin works.

• 8521 posts
    January 30, 2017 4:01 PM PST

Xilshale said:

Kilsin said:

Good to know since real topics seem to happen where most of us can't see them

In that case shouldn't you just save the moderation time and close the non vip except for announcements and official releases of set info?

I make it my priority to keep myself extremely busy/involved in covering all of our official platforms, interacting, engaging and gathering as much information as possible, including some private subforums for higher paying pledge holders who pay for extra dev interactions (VIP), this was clearly stated on their pledges which anyone can view, they get first-look at a few releases that we then release publicly a short time later, if you want in on that action there is nothing stopping you from upgrading to a VIP member, but stamping your feet and insinuating that I don't care about the rest of the community or that the rest of the community isn't considered important won't get you anywhere and comes across as quite childish.

This post was edited by Kilsin at January 30, 2017 4:03 PM PST
    • 272 posts
    January 30, 2017 4:33 PM PST

Actually I'm not stomping my feet on it. I'm actually stating that it'd make more sense. There's no foot stomping involved at alljust a simple statement. But if that's how you read it I'm sorry for that.  

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 30, 2017 5:22 PM PST
    • 15 posts
    January 30, 2017 6:13 PM PST

I always just assumed crusader was paly and dire lord was SK. 

• 110 posts
    January 30, 2017 6:50 PM PST
    Yes, it is just a name change. I'm sure there is no difference in how the class is going to be made. There is no reason for anyone to get mad about it, unless you really like the Crusader name. When I first started following Pantheon a few years ago and looked at the proposed class list and seen Crusader listed under tank class, I immediately thought paladin, as I'm sure most people did.
    • 1179 posts
    January 30, 2017 9:01 PM PST

Yup.  Just a name change.  Doesn't mean they overhauled their plans for the class.  Now Dire Lord needs one.  Haha.

EDIT:  Upon further review I have decided that 'Dire Lord' is a pretty decent name.  I'll allow it to stand.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at January 31, 2017 5:18 AM PST
    • 110 posts
    January 30, 2017 9:16 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

Yup.  Just a name change.  Doesn't mean they overhauled their plans for the class.  Now Dire Lord needs one.  Haha.

Yeah even though it is the same class, I do like Shadow Knight or Dread Knight name better 

• 4270 posts
    January 31, 2017 7:38 AM PST

Jadden said: Yes, it is just a name change. I'm sure there is no difference in how the class is going to be made. There is no reason for anyone to get mad about it, unless you really like the Crusader name. When I first started following Pantheon a few years ago and looked at the proposed class list and seen Crusader listed under tank class, I immediately thought paladin, as I'm sure most people did.

Exactly! The class is still going to be what it was always destined to be - so really, nothing has changed at all. Being less misleading is never a bad thing. It's not earthshattering news. Some people probably got their hopes up and were so caught up in their imaginations that they probably almost believed that what was in their head was truth. And that's unfortunate. But better to burst that bubble sooner rather than later haha.

I wonder if this means they are close to a class reveal. If they changed the name, they must be pretty confident with the image they have created for the class.

• 16 posts
    February 2, 2017 4:19 PM PST

A name change for a class that was described as a "Paladin" is no big deal too me. I also don't see the need for getting upset over a class name. Plus there's no reason for attack dev's or rude remarks, if you want to be a part of the VIP community put your money up! I wish I could, just not in the cards at the moment. 

• 198 posts
    February 3, 2017 12:07 AM PST

Who's upset? I see nothing of that here.

• 185 posts
    February 3, 2017 6:06 AM PST

In any case, i'm glad this was done. I'm looking forward to the in-game details. As far as to the fellow who said "off-tank".

I will be sarcastic and say - "Off-tank? Maybe for your Paladin. I'm MT material baby." *Strikes a pose.*

• 198 posts
    February 3, 2017 8:46 AM PST

Tank? Sweet cherry pie, I'm all out damage, just look at these assets *Flexes and Strikes a cooler pose*

Mod Edit: Image removed, please keep images/gifs to the off topic and meme threads, unless asked by a developer to post an example of something being discussed.

This post was edited by Kilsin at February 3, 2017 5:51 PM PST
    • 185 posts
    February 3, 2017 12:56 PM PST

LOL - Ok. You've got me.

• 745 posts
    February 3, 2017 8:11 PM PST

Xilshale said:

Actually I'm not stomping my feet on it. I'm actually stating that it'd make more sense. There's no foot stomping involved at alljust a simple statement. But if that's how you read it I'm sorry for that.  

I have to say, I was picking up on some sarcasm in your comment as well.  And if for no other reason than it makes approximately zero sense to close the rest of the forums outside of the VIP hangout.  I have been on these forums since day one and just recently upgraded my sub to VIP status after the December stream.  In that time, I have never felt like I was being left out of meaningful conversations due to the VIP hangout.  Sure, I've gone through phases of more or less forum activity, largely due to lack of content other than speculation, but that was certainly not a product of there being nothing worth discussing anywhere but the VIP hangout.

• 6 posts
    August 20, 2017 2:10 PM PDT

Paladin sounds much better then crusader, but i guess it depends on what paladins in this game are capable of.