Forums » The Monk

Remember the Disciple from Vanguard?

• 5 posts
    January 27, 2017 2:19 PM PST

I have fond memories of playing a Disciple in Vanguard and wondered if the Monk would have a AA tree or some way of becoming a combat healer in the same way that the Disciple was in Vanguard.

I think it would be an interesting class to have.

• 72 posts
    January 28, 2017 5:33 AM PST

Agree, I had always played an Enchanter but loved this class. I liked the combination of spells for healing and stances. I wish more classes had spell combinations that added healing or benefits to your off target.

• 4 posts
    January 29, 2017 5:55 AM PST

I also agree, but with an alternative.  What about a Disciple class?

• 39 posts
    January 29, 2017 10:30 AM PST

I have to disagree!  I picture a monk as a dps / puller (possible cc with stuns) going back to the old days.  A warrior / dire / pally should get beat on, a cleric / druid / shaman should heal (debuff), and wiz / summoner / necro should "nuke" (blow sh@t up).  In EQ1 i liked that the monk had a "self heal" (drawing a blank on the name of the ability) but most melee classes have / had this in order to solo and level.  To be a pure melee class and be able to heal.....not for me personally.

You will have a little crossing in this (pally / shaman or necro / dire for undead), but for the most part i like seeing and having a speific roll.

Call me old, but just my 2 copper

Ogee

• 7 posts
    January 30, 2017 10:33 AM PST

I have to disagree as well.

I'm hoping we get 2 viable options puller/secondary dps or pure dps. In small groups you should only need 1 puller which limits the number of monks needed and if we can't spec into a pure dps class then grouping will be even more difficult for a popular class.

• 607 posts
    February 3, 2017 7:50 PM PST

I don't think we're going to see anything like this for the Monk.  But who knows, maybe Disciple as an expansion class down the line?  I loved the VG Disciple and main'd one so I would love to see something similar at some point  The class was exceptionally unique and very fun (if not a little OP).  I think if they were to do something along these lines it would need to be toned down to some degree as the VG Disciple could solo Satan himself with enough time (seriously, the class had some immense survivability and decent DPS, all things considered).

• 2262 posts
    February 4, 2017 7:49 AM PST

In the following thread, Kilsin said that monks will likely not have any viable healing qualities: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1093/monks-are-shoudl-be

• 167 posts
    February 4, 2017 9:51 AM PST

Nikademis said:

I don't think we're going to see anything like this for the Monk.  But who knows, maybe Disciple as an expansion class down the line?  I loved the VG Disciple and main'd one so I would love to see something similar at some point  The class was exceptionally unique and very fun (if not a little OP).  I think if they were to do something along these lines it would need to be toned down to some degree as the VG Disciple could solo Satan himself with enough time (seriously, the class had some immense survivability and decent DPS, all things considered).

As long as Satan didnt put up any enchantments, lol

• 607 posts
    February 4, 2017 3:00 PM PST

Gragorie said:

Nikademis said:

As long as Satan didnt put up any enchantments, lol

;)

• 14 posts
    February 21, 2017 3:55 PM PST

I fondly remember the Disciple as well. 

But I really just liked him because he was a monk with weapons. I am hopeful this version of the monk will be able to use weapons and not just his fists. I don't expect to be wielding 2hd swords but really I think monks should be able to use knives, short swords, knuckles and staffs. 

Maybe what I really want is like a samurai, and thus not a monk =)

• 74 posts
    February 23, 2017 3:36 PM PST

Ogee said:In EQ1 i liked that the monk had a "self heal" (drawing a blank on the name of the ability) but most melee classes have / had this in order to solo and level.

It was called Mend. That and bandage-fu AAs that allowed you to go past 50% made it so that nobody was waiting on you for the next fight. Go sneak and hit your pulling macro! "INCOMING! I've got a %t on my six and %s is pissed off!"

I liked the Disciple alot. I didn't play one for very long, but seeing them do their stuff was amazing. I rolled a monk and a blood mage and really never dabbled in too many alts with Vanguard.

If you ever played Star Wars: The Old Republic, you'll remember that the class you chose changed drastically, depending on your advanced class. A Jedi Consular, for example, could become a Sage or a Shadow. Having advanced class choices for a Monk would be most welcome and if one of those was like the Disciple, then so much the better for having choices.

As for weapons (read that not far above), I do hope that fists and kicks are perfectly viable if I should choose to eschew hand-held weapons. A staff would be groovy, too. I just wanted to let the devs know that fists are my favorite, so that's one more vote for them.

• 9 posts
    June 22, 2017 12:40 AM PDT

Paetryn said:

I also agree, but with an alternative.  What about a Disciple class?

I am stuck trying to figure out what class I will play in Pantheon.  But if you look at my avatar you know which one i want there to be in game :-)

I would love to see a class like the disc in there, it was the first time i've ever enjoyed playing a healer in a game.  The concept of a healer that used melee dmg as a means to heal your defensive target (the defensive target in itself was a great addition to the game) made it such a fun class to play.  The healing power outright wasn't as strong as a cleric but the versatility that you brought to a group and raid was unreplaceable.  I absolutely hope down the line that we see a disciple type class.  Wouldn't bother me one bit if they wanted to even copy the VG disc over and tweak it in a way that's fitting for Pantheon.

Can only sit back and wait.....and hope a little :-)

• 177 posts
    July 19, 2017 3:04 PM PDT

I disagree, because Monk is Mostly Puller/DPS with light to medium tank abilities (EQ1 Monks often were off-tanks.  Their main weakness as tanks being no snap agro and EQ2 Monks were straight up tanks).  I'm not opposed to Monks having dual weild one-blunts or 2H-blunts as an alternative.  Again, in EQ1 Monks had AAs that improved their tanking if using 2H-Blunt but were better DPS with H2H.

• 11 posts
    September 7, 2017 1:59 PM PDT

I mained a disciple (little green ugly fellow named Jakson) right through world first kills in my latter Vanguard career. The class was so unique and so fun - incredible solo ability, great raid utility, and with the right shurikens could wreck stuff. If Pantheon had something similar, I'd be hard pressed not to go back.

• 177 posts
    September 13, 2017 2:17 PM PDT

You know.  I've not played Vangard.  I very much want my monk from EQ1 back.  But I won't rule out more options of this class type.  Especially if it were an optional tree or a separate class, I could probably get on board.