Forums » Pantheon Classes

Basic Class Descriptions and Roles

• 138 posts
    January 27, 2017 10:23 AM PST

I'm wondering if this is something that is coming in the near future? I know the full-blown class reveals take more time, but a basic -

Role: Tank  

Armor: Med-Heavy

type thing would be helpful. I know that seems pretty basic, but if you've been to the Dire Lord sub forum people are discussing things as basic as what the class will be, generally. Through enough digging (people have even gone all the way back to the original Kickstarter page) you can come to a fairly safe conclusion that this class is a tank, but it's still not 100% clear. I've not been through all the other class boards, but I'm wondering how much of the most basic class role type of stuff is being discussed.  

I'm sure basic class stuff is fleshed out internally, so it would be nice if we could just get some of the most very basic class descriptors added. We don’t need the lore, or any of the deeper stuff that comes with a full class reveal.

I hope something like this is on the roadmap in the not too distant future.

• 35 posts
    January 27, 2017 11:18 AM PST

Given the inheritence from EQ and Vanguard, it's likely that this is most easily inferred with a fair hint of accuracy. The question is: will there be "specs" within the classes (sure hope not) that can essentially breed subclasses? Think Fury Warrior (dps) v. Protection Warrior (tank) in WoW. 

Generally speaking I'd imagine: 

Tanks: Warrior, Crusader, Dire Lord (plate)

DPS: Ranger, Rogue, Bard, Monk (chain for all but monk)

Heals: Cleric (primary), Druid/Shaman (secondary) (plate cleric, chain and leather for Shammy/Druid)

RDPS: Enchanter, Necromancer, Summoner, Wizard (cloth) 

• 1778 posts
    January 27, 2017 12:09 PM PST

In general probably along the lines of whatever EQ did. However, keep in mind there will be a few original ideas and possibly unique takes. Druid is gonna have some changes for sure. How much of a change remains to be seen but it might not be a healer. Brad also said in a very recent post that Enchanter would not be the only CC at launch. That could mean Bard is gonna make launch or it could mean another existing class becomes a second CC. So dont be shocked if we have a Monk CC/DPS or a Dire Lord Tank/CC either. Mostly though in answer to Katalyzt, we will have to wait and see even basic information about the classes.

• 159 posts
    January 27, 2017 12:27 PM PST

I'd love this info as well.   Based off Brad's statement of other cc classes, and doing some digging plus rereading the webpage class descriptions, I'm guessing:

tank:
    warrior {sword n board}
    direlord {2handed weapons} 
    ranger {dual wield...More aragorn less legolas..Maybe plate but probably chain and higher evades/parry}

cc: 
    Enchanter
    summoner (mez pet (maybe multiple pets to micro manage) and summoned barriers)
    druid (environmental effects and root/snare)

DPS: 
    wiz
    monk
    Rogue

healer:
    Cleric
    shaman
    Crusader

And I think the sooner they give us the basic basic role and armor we can plot out more reliably who we aim to be in game.  I'd hate to be pumped for the EQ healer druid and end up as a CC class at launch without a heads up lol

• 97 posts
    January 27, 2017 1:56 PM PST

I see it like this 

Tank:

warrior

direlord

cc:

enchanter

druid

dps:

monk

ranger

rogue

wizard

summoner (will have some cc, but I don't think it will be a pimary role)

healer:

shaman

cleric

crusader

My gut instinct says we will have 1 more class then these 12 at launch, and that will be a tank. 

• 97 posts
    January 27, 2017 1:58 PM PST

On a side note, why does it seem all my posts are double spaced?  I can't seem to find a way to fix that. 

• 780 posts
    January 27, 2017 2:15 PM PST

I definitely wouldn't mind even just a list with the main role(s) and whatever secondary roles each class has.  I have very little idea which class I want to play because I'm just not sure how the classes will all play.  Such a list wouldn't let me decide, but I could narrow it down a bit more.

• 1778 posts
    January 27, 2017 2:32 PM PST

I feel your pain Shuckligter. Obviously I want to be a Bard, but until that comes out I will be playing something else. But due to lack of detailed information about what roles classes will have or how they will play (focus healer vs AoE healer etc), I really have no idea. Same can be said of what race Ill be. We will just have to wait for it though.

• 2752 posts
    January 27, 2017 4:16 PM PST

I'm entirely lost as to what else would be a CC specific class other than enchanter and bard if it makes it.

Crusader as healer doesn't sound right at all, and even the little blurb on the site heavily implies they won't be main healing anything. Maybe summoner so they aren't a wizard with a pet and slightly weaker nukes? Maybe Ranger with use of traps, snares, pinning shots? No clue. I really hope druid is more healer/cc/utility than DPS or CC role.  

• 9115 posts
    January 27, 2017 5:14 PM PST

Yes, we will give many more details on this once we are ready but for now, just basic descriptions, we still have more classes to reveal and more to work on. ;)

• 2419 posts
    January 27, 2017 7:04 PM PST

A bunch of you guys need to read the forums more.  We already know that under Priest you have 3 healing classes Cleric, Shaman and Druid.  Under Tank you have 3 plate wearing classes Warriors, Dire Lord and Crusader.  Under Melee DPS we have Ranger, Rogue and Monk.  For Casters we have Summoner, Wizard and Enchanter.

Brad has said time and time again each class within their archetype will be able to perform equally well the primary role of their archetype. so all 3 priests will be healing equally well and all 3 tanks will tank equally well, etc.

• 138 posts
    January 27, 2017 8:05 PM PST

I played EQ so I feel like I have a pretty strong grip on what all the classes will be, but based upon reading the conjecture on the Dire Lord boards as to what the class would be, it made me realize there was not really any clarification anywhere.

The one other thing I was curious about involved the system in which the classes were to branch into different specializations at higher levels. I'd be curious to see if that was still planned, or if it has fallen by the wayside. I believe they touched on it in the first stream (I think), but that was the last I've heard of that feature. Cohh asked a question that would have led to clarification, but right before any of the devs had a chance to answer they got a ton of adds so the question was never answered. I'm assuming it's still part of the game plan, but it has not come up in quite some time so it's got me wondering. 

• 1778 posts
    January 27, 2017 10:20 PM PST

Vandraad said:

A bunch of you guys need to read the forums more.  We already know that under Priest you have 3 healing classes Cleric, Shaman and Druid.  Under Tank you have 3 plate wearing classes Warriors, Dire Lord and Crusader.  Under Melee DPS we have Ranger, Rogue and Monk.  For Casters we have Summoner, Wizard and Enchanter.

Brad has said time and time again each class within their archetype will be able to perform equally well the primary role of their archetype. so all 3 priests will be healing equally well and all 3 tanks will tank equally well, etc.

The bolded part is the only part that is not speculation. Now its educated speculation, but still just that (what did EQ do, etc.). And I will say there are some classes that are pretty obvious and I would be shocked if they werent what we thought (like War is a tank or Wiz is a Nuker). As far as I know we dont know how many priests we have or anything else. And the devs have been reluctant to share even basic information about class roles. I believe that to be because they are still fine tuning the balance between player expectations, how many of a specific role the game needs, and new concepts the devs want to introduce. We do have some bits and pieces of info on a couple of other classes, but that could change as well. Because the only classes that have been officially revealed are Rogue, Shaman and Cleric. Also as mentioned before Brad has recently said that there will be one more main CC launch class. I doubt Bard will make launch, which means almost every other class aside from the 3 previously revealed are potential candidates. So they are still hashing it out, otherwise they would have released basic information about the roles of each class well before now. We dont know for sure that Druid is a healer, and we dont know for sure what that other CC class will be. Keep in mind the devs have also said they want every class to be able to do at least 2 roles (even if they cant do the 2nd as well). So that casts more doubts. Suddenly classes that you are pretty sure you know their main role, you cant be sure of what the 2nd will be. For instance Monk: DPS/CC??? So while we can make educated guesses and speculate, we dont really know for sure. If its not officially a revealed class, its not official!

• 97 posts
    January 28, 2017 12:30 AM PST

Amsai said:

Vandraad said:

The bolded part is the only part that is not speculation. Now its educated speculation, but still just that (what did EQ do, etc.). And I will say there are some classes that are pretty obvious and I would be shocked if they werent what we thought (like War is a tank or Wiz is a Nuker). As far as I know we dont know how many priests we have or anything else. And the devs have been reluctant to share even basic information about class roles. I believe that to be because they are still fine tuning the balance between player expectations, how many of a specific role the game needs, and new concepts the devs want to introduce. We do have some bits and pieces of info on a couple of other classes, but that could change as well. Because the only classes that have been officially revealed are Rogue, Shaman and Cleric. Also as mentioned before Brad has recently said that there will be one more main CC launch class. I doubt Bard will make launch, which means almost every other class aside from the 3 previously revealed are potential candidates. So they are still hashing it out, otherwise they would have released basic information about the roles of each class well before now. We dont know for sure that Druid is a healer, and we dont know for sure what that other CC class will be. Keep in mind the devs have also said they want every class to be able to do at least 2 roles (even if they cant do the 2nd as well). So that casts more doubts. Suddenly classes that you are pretty sure you know their main role, you cant be sure of what the 2nd will be. For instance Monk: DPS/CC??? So while we can make educated guesses and speculate, we dont really know for sure. If its not officially a revealed class, its not official!

I agree with Amsai.  I have been a member her for a year and a half, and have not seen any posts other then the 3 class descriptions they have released about roles.  There are over 50000 posts on these boards and I will admit I have not read every one.  So if you have a link where Brad states a druid is a MH and crusader a MT then please link it.  Kilsin stated in post above yours they have only released basic descriptions so far.   To me that says anything is possible at this point. 

• 780 posts
    January 28, 2017 4:40 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Yeah, definitely not so cut and dry...according to this, Summoners, Wizards, and Enchanters are all crowd control...or?

As others have said, there is very little information known here.  There's even still confusion regarding the classes that have been officially released.  Are you able to link Brad saying everyone in an archetype performs the same role, and performs it equally?

• 159 posts
    January 28, 2017 7:58 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

As others have said, there is very little information known here.  There's even still confusion regarding the classes that have been officially released.  Are you able to link Brad saying everyone in an archetype performs the same role, and performs it equally?

It was stated in the Dec stream that all tanks can tank, some encounters will favor one tank over another but all can be viable tanks.  No one tank class will be the "omg we need this class or we fail" tank. That is the only thing I've seen on it, other than it being repeatedly paraphrased and mangled to justify various points of view over and over.  

No classes besides the 3 revealed so far are officially role confirmed but I'd laugh if warrior wasnt a tank.  For all we know summoner could be an official tank with an amazing battle pet meant to group tank pokemon style....If this happens dibs on the name James Rocket :p

I do think that assuming just because EQ,VG, wow, etc had x type class in y type roll they will here too is a foolish assumption to make tho. This is its own game, not a reskin of the past games, that path of thinking pretty much cheapens what they are doing here.

Everyone (generalized) is so militantly set in their views that I personally believe some people are going to be floored from the reveals and the nerdrage will fly furiously for a bit.

If crusader was a paladin it'd probably still be named paladin. Summoner isn't an EQ mage...It's pets may just be 10 seconds duration animated direct damage spells.  Monk may just stand there spin kicking...No feign, no mend, might shoot ice bolts like sub zero; we just don't know.  

(We know info will be given as you guys cement it into place Kilsin, I don't think anyone actually is demanding said info right now and stomping their feet about it...We are just venting a bit about waiting since we all have theories on how the class breakdown will be and we all want to be right :p )

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 28, 2017 8:59 AM PST
    • 1778 posts
    January 28, 2017 8:57 AM PST

Yea I couldnt remember where but I did know that Brad had said each class that fills a role (main role I assume) will be able to handle that role in any given situation. Now in some cases one might be better than another, but still all are viable. What I dont remember ever reading is that we will have x numbers of any role. Thats why some of us were worried about Enchanter looking to be the only CC class at launch.

Aside from the official class reveals, the only other class info we have had is sparse. In one of the early Newsletters Brad talks about Crusader being a main Tank that can also heal decently. In that same Newsletter and in a fews places since we know that Druids will be able to manipulate the weather for buffs, debuffs, and protection from climates (though no word on if they are healers). I cant remeber where but devs have all but confirmed DL as a main tank (but we dont know its secondary). And Im sure that War is tank, Wiz is Nuker, and Enchanter is a CC. Then Brad dropped the info bomb just a day or 3 ago that Enchanter would not be the only CC class at Launch. Oh and we know that Bard an Necro will eventually be in the game. This is the extent of what we know as far as I know. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I dont think I am.

So there are quite a few classes we still arent 100% sure what they will do. And the ones we are pretty sure we know what their main role is we dont know what their secondary role will be.

• 22 posts
    January 28, 2017 4:24 PM PST

To me a CC class is any toon "controlling" a mob that isnt able to fight!  Whether mezzed, stunned, or "charmed" is CC to me!  If that makes any sense hehehe. So to be creative in grouping, you could have a "stunning" class CC for you 0_o

Ogee

• 1778 posts
    January 28, 2017 5:08 PM PST

Ogee said:

To me a CC class is any toon "controlling" a mob that isnt able to fight!  Whether mezzed, stunned, or "charmed" is CC to me!  If that makes any sense hehehe. So to be creative in grouping, you could have a "stunning" class CC for you 0_o

Ogee

Ive always thought so. If it prevents the mob from acting against you, then thats CC. Anything that doesnt do that is just a debuff. There are a couple of types that are sort of in between like FFXIs Paralyze. It randomly stunned so you cant really control what is being stunned. Also I would consider a Silence spell on a caster a form of CC. It might not prevent a mage from coming up and auto attacking, but who cares its a mage trying to melee lol.

• 22 posts
    January 28, 2017 5:25 PM PST

Thats what I loved about EQ1 and a few other MMO's, no matter who logged in, we would / could make a group with whoever was available some how or another.  Not to be rude, but that also lets you see who knows how to play their class properly and who doesnt rather quickly =(  

Key word "Adaptability"

I'd take a "ungeared" toon that knows his role / skills / spells / abilities any day over a twinked toon that doesnt know what he has.

Ogee

This post was edited by Ogee at January 28, 2017 5:35 PM PST
    • 138 posts
    January 30, 2017 12:27 PM PST

I'm guessing root will act as one of the lowest forms of CC, and there will probably be several classes that can root. Beyond that, Enchanter and, once released, the bard class will be two of the better classes at CC. I'm curious what we'll see that will go deeper than that. 

• 2752 posts
    January 30, 2017 3:59 PM PST

If they are going quaternity instead of trinity then I am guessing that most/all reliable and long term CC will be from CC based roles. If you can play around and make due without CC roles later in the game then something isn't falling into place right and you end up just having the trinity. So I am guessing other roles might have rather short duration CC and interrupts. 

• 97 posts
    January 30, 2017 7:39 PM PST

I was wrong about crusader being a healer since they are now paladin's.  I still believe druids will be more of a dps/cc class then a healer though.  They may have some healing spells, but they are so much more then that if designed the way they deserve to be. 

• 780 posts
    January 30, 2017 8:55 PM PST

I don't see why a Paladin couldn't heal as well as a Crusader could.  I think a healing role is still quite possible for Paladins.

• 2752 posts
    January 30, 2017 9:20 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

I don't see why a Paladin couldn't heal as well as a Crusader could.  I think a healing role is still quite possible for Paladins.

It would be a bit bland if they were healers. They came from being clerics so that would mean lore wise they would share most spells with clerics. Anything is possible right now though.