Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

My First Proper PC Build - Completed

• 9115 posts
    February 24, 2017 5:43 PM PST

RumorHasit said:

<------------------------------------------- Beautiful tigers!!! 

This Tiger is absolutely stunning in HD and love looking at it, no matter how often I change I always come back to it as my main background :)

• 9115 posts
    February 24, 2017 5:47 PM PST

Iksar said:

Kilsin said:

Thanks Bardee! I know it is a good feeling my friend :)

So few feelings so good as a fresh newly built PC. 

Someday soon™. I want 144hz/fps Pantheon at max settings.  

Absolutely my friend and I was only just able to push its limits last night with The Witcher 3 on Extreme settings and a few mods, I love my GTX 980 Ti being the bottleneck and I am even more excited now with the countdown to the 1080 Ti which I have been waiting to upgrade to since the GTX 1080 was released 2-3 months after I got my GTX 980 Ti, I will wait and see benchmarks and who can OC it the best and then grab it and put the 980 Ti back in my old PC for my bro :D

I hope that day comes soon for you, my friend and please share when it does come :)

• 208 posts
    February 26, 2017 3:43 PM PST

My dual 980 Tis feel old now lol. Must. Have. More. Power. :p

• 9115 posts
    February 27, 2017 2:07 AM PST

Bluefyre said:

Haha, I hear you, my friend, I can't wait for the 1080 Ti reveal in a few days, the wait for companies to then overclock and add better cooling will be excruciating! :D

• 84 posts
    February 27, 2017 3:58 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

Haha, I hear you, my friend, I can't wait for the 1080 Ti reveal in a few days, the wait for companies to then overclock and add better cooling will be excruciating! :D

You mean a block of dry ice sitting in a bowl sitting on top of your tower isn't how everyone does it? That's not factory spec? But it gives cool effects, and cool affects!

After that last sentence I really feel like I should fall on my sword.

This post was edited by Reafwalk at February 27, 2017 3:58 AM PST
    • 208 posts
    February 27, 2017 11:37 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

My next build I am going to put on liquid cooling blocks on whatever cards I get. I know I am losing quite a bit of performance with those 980 Tis just being stick coolers. One of them gets pretty hot.

Anyone have suggestions for nice tempered glass cases like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1GP2GZ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3ORQ86RFWC02Y&coliid=IRJJ855T8XZ6Y&psc=1

Want other options to choose from. 

This post was edited by Bluefyre at February 27, 2017 3:10 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 27, 2017 5:15 PM PST

Reafwalk said:

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

You mean a block of dry ice sitting in a bowl sitting on top of your tower isn't how everyone does it? That's not factory spec? But it gives cool effects, and cool affects!

After that last sentence I really feel like I should fall on my sword.

Haha, for extreme OCing absolutely but I need to work up to that level, for now, I am happy with Liquid cooling and an AC right above my set up focused right on the top of my case :)

• 9115 posts
    February 27, 2017 5:17 PM PST

Bluefyre said:

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

My next build I am going to put on liquid cooling blocks on whatever cards I get. I know I am losing quite a bit of performance with those 980 Tis just being stick coolers. One of them gets pretty hot.

Anyone have suggestions for nice tempered glass cases like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1GP2GZ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3ORQ86RFWC02Y&coliid=IRJJ855T8XZ6Y&psc=1

I had that when I had SLI cards on a much older build, liquid cooling helps a lot as does having an AC right above my setup, I have it locked on the top of my PC case to feed it super cold air when I am gaming on a really hot Aussie day and it works really well :)

• 208 posts
    February 27, 2017 5:52 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

I had that when I had SLI cards on a much older build, liquid cooling helps a lot as does having an AC right above my setup, I have it locked on the top of my PC case to feed it super cold air when I am gaming on a really hot Aussie day and it works really well :)

Maybe it is time to move to Phase Change cooling. :p

• 9115 posts
    February 28, 2017 2:18 AM PST

Bluefyre said:

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

Haha sounds good, let's do it! :D

• 208 posts
    February 28, 2017 12:43 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

:p I actually considered it at one point. I have always been interested in being an enthusiast and doing crazy things for the looks and power.

I know am going hardline for sure on my build for that extra sexiness.

• 9115 posts
    February 28, 2017 4:22 PM PST

Bluefyre said:

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

Kilsin said:

Bluefyre said:

:p I actually considered it at one point. I have always been interested in being an enthusiast and doing crazy things for the looks and power.

I know am going hardline for sure on my build for that extra sexiness.

Haha, I would be interested in messing around with it at some point but at the moment, I am just happy that I built my first PC and am having fun messing around with it and tweaking things without going too crazy.

• 578 posts
    February 28, 2017 10:45 PM PST

Depending on how many programs you use for work and the amount of games you play you might be able to get away with a smaller SSD than the 1TB you have listed in your OP. I read somewhere keeping 25% free disk space is a good range for filling up your SSD so possibly a 512GB SSD would work fine and save you a few hundred dollars which you could go spend on whiskey and celebrate your savings :D lol.

I use a 256GB but my PC isn't a work PC so I only install like a game or 3 (Skyrim and FO4 atm) But when Pantheon comes out I will probably clear everything I can off of my solid and solely install PRF.

• 9115 posts
    March 1, 2017 3:19 AM PST

NoobieDoo said:

Depending on how many programs you use for work and the amount of games you play you might be able to get away with a smaller SSD than the 1TB you have listed in your OP. I read somewhere keeping 25% free disk space is a good range for filling up your SSD so possibly a 512GB SSD would work fine and save you a few hundred dollars which you could go spend on whiskey and celebrate your savings :D lol.

I use a 256GB but my PC isn't a work PC so I only install like a game or 3 (Skyrim and FO4 atm) But when Pantheon comes out I will probably clear everything I can off of my solid and solely install PRF.

My build is already finished my friend, I have the 1 TB installed and I must say, it boots incredibly fast from the M.2 SSD, I also have an SSD, a Passport external HD and a WD 4TB storage drive, I only keep necessary things on my main C: M.2 and a few games that I play often, everything else goes to the SSD for other games and 4TB storage for everything else :)

• 595 posts
    March 1, 2017 8:52 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Iksar said:

Kilsin said:

Absolutely my friend and I was only just able to push its limits last night with The Witcher 3 on Extreme settings and a few mods, I love my GTX 980 Ti being the bottleneck and I am even more excited now with the countdown to the 1080 Ti which I have been waiting to upgrade to since the GTX 1080 was released 2-3 months after I got my GTX 980 Ti, I will wait and see benchmarks and who can OC it the best and then grab it and put the 980 Ti back in my old PC for my bro :D

I hope that day comes soon for you, my friend and please share when it does come :)

1080Ti news ;)

The bit about the improved heat dispersion it cool, should work nicely in your build Ben.  I'm just gonna slap water blocks on whatever cards I go with anyway /shrug.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/nvidia-geforce-1080ti-will-launch-for-699-next-week/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIaaxe_HVk4

This post was edited by Nikademis at March 1, 2017 8:58 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    March 1, 2017 3:44 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Kilsin said:

Iksar said:

Kilsin said:

1080Ti news ;)

The bit about the improved heat dispersion it cool, should work nicely in your build Ben.  I'm just gonna slap water blocks on whatever cards I go with anyway /shrug.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/nvidia-geforce-1080ti-will-launch-for-699-next-week/

I am so excited man, I have been waiting for this card for a long time, ever since I purchased my 980 Ti to have the 1080 announced a couple of months after! I will wait for Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA etc. to get their hands on them and then I will grab one and put the 908 Ti back in my old system for my brother :)

Thanks for the info my friend!

• 595 posts
    March 1, 2017 3:58 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Nikademis said:

Kilsin said:

Iksar said:

Kilsin said:

1080Ti news ;)

I am so excited man, I have been waiting for this card for a long time, ever since I purchased my 980 Ti to have the 1080 announced a couple of months after! I will wait for Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA etc. to get their hands on them and then I will grab one and put the 908 Ti back in my old system for my brother :)

Thanks for the info my friend!

You bet man <3  It should be sweet in your setup for sure.  And $699 is pretty much where the 980Ti launched if memory serves, give or take.  Though I never bought one myself.

• 1281 posts
    November 12, 2017 7:59 AM PST

Current System

*  Monitor:  2, LG 27UD68P-B 27" FreeSync IPS LED Monitor 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 16:9 Widescreen 5ms (GTG) On-Screen Control with Screen Split Game Mode & Black Stabilizer, VESA mountable
    *  Keyboard:  Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    *  Mouse:  Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Professional-Grade Wired / Wireless Gaming Mouse
    *  Case:  Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full-Tower PC Case
    *  120mm Case Fan (two):  COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Silent Case Fan
    *  Power Supply:  CORSAIR AXi Series AX860i Digital 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply with C-Link Monitoring and Control
    *  Motherboard:  GIGABYTE Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
    *  CPU:  Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor
    *  CPU Cooler:  MasterLiquid Pro 280 All-In-One CPU Liquid Cooler with FlowOp Technology by Cooler Master
    *  Memory:  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3466 (PC4 27700) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3466C16D-32GTZSW
    *  Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 HYBRID GAMING, 08G-P4-6188-KR, 8GB GDDR5X, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)
    *  CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Burner:  LG Black 16X Blu-Ray BDXL SATA Internal rewriter with 3D Playback, Model BH16NS40
    *  Thermaltake AC0031 USB 3.0 Support MS Slot, CF Slot, SD Slot,Extreme Slot, Micro SD Slot, M2 Port Multi-Card Reader
    *  Hard Drive:  Seagate Desktop HDD ST8000DM002 8TB 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    *  SSD Drive:  SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE512BW
    *  SSD Drive:  SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE1T0BW
    *  Audio Headset:  Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum RGB 7.1 Surround Gaming Headset

Planned Upgrades

*  Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
    *  GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
    *  CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 Desktop Memory Model CMK32GX4M2F4000C19

This post was edited by Kalok at November 12, 2017 8:05 AM PST