Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

GM Monsters

• 202 posts
    January 18, 2017 9:41 AM PST

Okay I know some where in the forums we have talked about "Player Monsters" before, just as EQ had where players would be able to log-in as a monster with extreme restictions.

I would like to take the time to maybe put this out there. What if we had the GM's log-in as monsters from time to time, or maybe all the time. Not nessicarilly be a Public event for everyone to chase the GM down and try to murder him.

But more of the players don't know the GM is the creature and he/she is able to level up as that creature. Obviously the GM will go to the respected level area upon his/her level, or even a group of GM's playing as monsters/creatures grouped together.

• 780 posts
    January 18, 2017 9:56 AM PST

I don't think they really need to log in as monsters.  They just make themselves monsters when they want to be monsters.  Players had encounters like this pretty regularly in early EverQuest, I'd say.  Not every encounter was a huge GM Event.  I'm also hoping PRF has plenty of GM interactions like these.

• 3016 posts
    January 18, 2017 10:08 AM PST

GM events were fun in EQ..hope to see more of the same. :)  We felt a connection to our GMs. :)

• 2886 posts
    January 18, 2017 10:22 AM PST

Honest question: what's the point if the players don't know that it's a GM? Would there be some sort of reward for killing a GM monster? But then again, why? If GMs want to do that on their own time to mess around, no one's gonna stop them. But I don't see how it would be an official thing. I like the idea. But I like it more as a big event :) They've said many, many times that there will be GM events and I can't wait!

• 60 posts
    January 18, 2017 11:33 AM PST

It doesn't sound that fun or interesting to me tbh. I liked the small more organised events that they held in Everquest.

• 613 posts
    January 18, 2017 11:52 AM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

GM events were fun in EQ..hope to see more of the same. :)  We felt a connection to our GMs. :)

Totally agree!  You could actually talk to them.  It was a great time indeed!

Ox

• 1778 posts
    January 18, 2017 12:17 PM PST

I like the direction this is going. More of this please.

• 626 posts
    January 18, 2017 12:18 PM PST

Yup, I'd like to see some GM events as well. That would be neat! 

• 839 posts
    January 18, 2017 1:17 PM PST

A group of GM's playing as monsters with tank, healer dps & cc etc all working together would be cool!

• 160 posts
    January 18, 2017 1:50 PM PST

Not all of my "encounters" with GM's were fun.

Like the time I was admonished for naming my EQ Bazaar mule "Balsak". (He was a troll, so I thought it wasn't too inappropriate hehe).

But despite being slain many times by Brad himself (while trying to kill him!), those were good times.

• 363 posts
    January 18, 2017 2:24 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Honest question: what's the point if the players don't know that it's a GM? Would there be some sort of reward for killing a GM monster? But then again, why? If GMs want to do that on their own time to mess around, no one's gonna stop them. But I don't see how it would be an official thing. I like the idea. But I like it more as a big event :) They've said many, many times that there will be GM events and I can't wait!

I'd like to think that GMs running around, either solo or as a group, and NOT behaving like most other NPCs you're used to interacting with and/or killing could be a cool idea. Maybe you see some orc walking by itself and, before you attack it, it waves at you. You decide not to attack it and it begins to motion for you to follow. The orc either leads you to your (possible) doom or to some neat area that no one has been able to discover yet (but the devs really want someone to) and etc, etc.

Not every GM interaction need be via a huge GM Event, imho. Maybe a GM takes control of a city guard and begins speaking with players in the surrounding area. Might pass out a few hints about things. Might even arrest players for the hell of it, leaving the player to discover how to get out of jail...secret tunnel leading outside the city walls, maybe?). Just seems a fun way for the devs to interact with the players without having to suffer through "It's Aradune! Quick, gimme some stuff, buddy!"

• 3237 posts
    January 18, 2017 2:28 PM PST

Anistosoles said:

Bazgrim said:

I'd like to think that GMs running around, either solo or as a group, and NOT behaving like most other NPCs you're used to interacting with and/or killing could be a cool idea. Maybe you see some orc walking by itself and, before you attack it, it waves at you. You decide not to attack it and it begins to motion for you to follow. The orc either leads you to your (possible) doom or to some neat area that no one has been able to discover yet (but the devs really want someone to) and etc, etc.

Not every GM interaction need be via a huge GM Event, imho. Maybe a GM takes control of a city guard and begins speaking with players in the surrounding area. Might pass out a few hints about things. Might even arrest players for the hell of it, leaving the player to discover how to get out of jail...secret tunnel leading outside the city walls, maybe?). Just seems a fun way for the devs to interact with the players without having to suffer through "It's Aradune! Quick, gimme some stuff, buddy!"

I remember there being a GM event on my server in EQOA.  My guild was farming in the Isle of Dead and a GM randomly spawned on our raid as the God Tunare.  Not knowing that it was a GM, or guild started to beat on her and attempt a kill.  I guess the GM wasn't too happy about that because they ended up despawning half way through the fight and our guild missed out on whatever type of event they had planned.  Wonder what we missed out on lol  ... but lesson learned for all, if you ever see a GM or God spawn ontop of you, don't just randomly start attacking it!

• 780 posts
    January 18, 2017 4:37 PM PST

Anistosoles said:

These are the GM encounters that are the most fun.  If they tell you a week in advance that there's going to be a GM Event in Nektulos on Friday night at 10P, that's still cool, and I would have wanted to go...but it's the impromptu ones that excited me the most.  The kind where you log on at 2AM and your entire guild is in Steamfont.  You ask wtf they are all doing in Steamfont and they tell you a GM Event is going on.  You pop over from Kelethin real quick and find a giant DE threatening everyone.  Guild fills you in on the details you missed (started in LFay just outside of MM, etc) on your way over and you get there just in time to help take him down.  Obviously much cooler if you are the first one to stumble upon that GM Character, but you can't always be the star of the show. 

• 202 posts
    January 20, 2017 3:55 AM PST

Anistosoles said:

Bazgrim said:

Exactly too many times we find our selves with Gm's trying to do fun stuff with the community and be apart of the communiy but you always have those players that are "OMG its a GM, can I have free stuffz!?!" or "its a GM lets see if we can kill him faster than anyone else"

Obviously Gm's probably have a seperate account to stop that, but I had brought this topic up as a way for the GM's can join the communiy and well "troll" us a little bit and have fun, without obviously ruining the experience for others. Maybe the GM's happen to cordinate as monsters better than that Adventuring group. Just might teach the adventuring party a thing or 2 about cordination in the process; especially if the adventuring group is a bunch of friends that are struggling to get some cordination together.

I do see how this could go wrong though. A group of GM's having a bad day grouped together just out roaming just to kill players but obviously they would make precautions for this (hopefully). Like running around killing AI monsters or other players in PVP is cool and all; but running into actual player monsters / monster groups takes up the whole new level of "OH ****!" we are about to be screwed hard! if not paying attention.

• 31 posts
    January 20, 2017 5:49 AM PST

Im gonna bet x1 high quality rat fur, that these happen, whether we get confirmation about them or not. And this is why, this game is being made in the same spirit as EQ and UO, I believe both had GM events. So if the dev team philosophy of old prevails, then it is inevitable GM events will strt happening. A further reason i reckon this is likely to happen as an independant studio, the devs/gms can actually have fun, not everything is about maximising their profit.

I deem profit mximisation to be detrimental since a gm event is not directly profit generating, and takes time. No studio like EA is gonna let that fly. But if brad himself was an once a fan of doing these things, probably he has changed his mind on them.