Forums » The Dark Myr

Are they evil or just angry?

• 1900 posts
    January 15, 2017 9:27 AM PST

Im interested in how well they play together with the other races. Reading the lore they dont seem evil so much as mad at the world and maybe condescending? You know butt hurt over the whole Syronai thing especially after they saved the world. And that line about having disdain for anyone not Myr. Makes them sound overly proud and would consider all other races beneath them (damn racist lol). And yet they apparently worked together with the other races against the Ravaging Lord. They also have their enemies the Nythirian Red and Ermos who they consider vilains.

So true evil? Like evil on a quest to do the bidding of greater evil? Dont think so.

Angry, overly proud, and distant and untrusting of others not Myr? Sounds right

Doesnt sound like they are allied with other evil races as they would think it beneath them. Isolationist?

Is it death for a non-Myr to walk into their cities? Is it death for a Myr to walk into every other city? Or in either case do the NPCs default to treating you like crap lol.

• 1015 posts
    January 15, 2017 9:42 AM PST

I agree that they seem more angry and ethnocentric than purely evil, but they do seem to have cruel and selfish dispositions.

• 1481 posts
    January 15, 2017 12:30 PM PST

I don't think Pantheon has any traditionally EVIL races. Those who feel superior and value conquest, yes. But not blatantly evil.

• 1015 posts
    January 15, 2017 1:02 PM PST

I dunno.  I'd say Skar are pretty evil.  Their description starts off with:

"If there was an opposite to any good thing in every race, the Skar would stand alone in the extreme.  Suicidally vicious, tribal and short-sighted, the Skar fear only their "Nine God" and are there (typo?) fervent only in their hatred."

Seems pretty evil to me.

The Dark Myr description starts with:

"Out of their own way, the Dark Myr of Syronai would perhaps become a contemporary of Thronefast -- even its chief rival. But their native beauty, valor and nobility have rusted down to bitter ornaments."

This makes me feel like they have a victim mentality and have basically become angry jerks for the most part, but not like they are all necessarily evil.

• 1481 posts
    January 15, 2017 1:18 PM PST

Haven't paid much attention to the Skar. Don't like that race. So, from the description, they might be more evil.

• 187 posts
    January 26, 2017 10:32 AM PST

The skar don't read as evil to me, they read as savage primal tribals despite any industrial advances they may have made.  Might makes right, strongest rules type of Darwinism.  I still think they look rediculous based on how they are presented looking in the text, but that doesn't make them evil either :p

More like DND goblins on bathsalts.

Myr seem more jaded and bitter than evil.  The other races are barely evolved past animal status to them perhaps.  Ever read any of the Elric of Melnibone saga?  The Myr read to me like the Melniboneans.

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 26, 2017 10:33 AM PST
    • 1917 posts
    January 27, 2017 3:07 AM PST

Xilshale said:

The skar don't read as evil to me, they read as savage primal tribals despite any industrial advances they may have made.  Might makes right, strongest rules type of Darwinism.  I still think they look rediculous based on how they are presented looking in the text, but that doesn't make them evil either :p

More like DND goblins on bathsalts.

Myr seem more jaded and bitter than evil.  The other races are barely evolved past animal status to them perhaps.  Ever read any of the Elric of Melnibone saga?  The Myr read to me like the Melniboneans.

I agree. It seems like the Skars' minds are only capable of reckless destruction. But that doesn't necessarily mean they're evil. I guess it depends on the definition of evil. The "opposite of any good" in their description could easily be interpreted as evil haha. But in my mind, a truly evil race would require there to be some supreme overlord antagonist (like Sauron) whose minions were a playable race. I'm not even sure the Skar are capable of that moral choice. They're more like animals. I could be wrong though.

But more on topic, the Dark Myr are definitely just grumpy/vengeful/get-off-my-lawn merb*tches.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 27, 2017 3:09 AM PST
    • 1015 posts
    January 27, 2017 7:57 AM PST

The description given for Skar definitely makes me think evil.  I guess 'evil' is subjective, but still...

I think at least some factions of Dark Myr will clearly be evil.

• 362 posts
    January 29, 2017 12:40 PM PST

The bitter depths might have shaped their character in some ways that they appear cold.

At times ,they might seem emotionally-numb.

But most likely the majority of them is misunderstood and seen as evil because they are very distrusting towards the other races

Quickly hostile against the other races of the land because they have been attacked by some in the past.
    While in reality all they want is a peaceful existence and wish no harm.

This post was edited by Fluffy at January 29, 2017 12:41 PM PST
    • 293 posts
    February 2, 2017 9:22 PM PST

The Skar are literally both genocidal and cannibalistic, an entire race of crazed slavers. I don't think there's any rationalizing that as misunderstood. Additionally they were cursed to look the way they are, it is unnatural in every sense of the word, but it would be a stretch to say they didn't deserve some sort of punishment for their actions on their homeworld. They are decidedly not a sympathetic race.

The Dark Myr are different, and to OP's question I would describe them as angry not evil. The Nythirian Red are of course less sympathetic than normal Dark Myr but still not inherently evil (at this point). I don't blame them for being bitter, what happened to them was messed up. Where Elves got their namby-pamby new tree and humans did their typical fantasy thing of becoming the numerous masters of all the non-human races, the Myr were transported to a world where the air was literal poison. No other race had such a brutal trauma on a societal level as a result of their arrival. I think it would make any race have a deep seeded despondancy.

• 9 posts
    February 3, 2017 12:09 AM PST

According to the lore, I'd consider them more 'corrupted' if anything. Initially they weren't evil, but driven mad by certain events.

In terms of gameplay,  they are a race killed on sight by Humans, Elves, and Halflings like the Ogres and Skar; so they are an evil race in terms of factional alliances.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK3HJTSZG6c#t=30m24s

This post was edited by Nick at February 3, 2017 12:13 AM PST
    • 1900 posts
    February 3, 2017 6:58 AM PST

Thanks for all the responses guys. And thanks for the link Nick. I missed that part about the KoS from the stream. It doesnt say specifically that Myr are on good terms with the other Evil races though. I wonder about that.

• 1015 posts
    February 3, 2017 7:34 AM PST

I knew they were going to be KoS to the 'good' races.  I thought this was a question about whether it was because they were truly evil, or whether they were misunderstood or given a bad rap.

• 362 posts
    February 3, 2017 8:46 AM PST

They also talk about faction adjusting ,increased and decreased.Faction shifting while you play the game.

Ogre,dark Myr,Skar are mentioned together.Likely they are seen as evil race for the curse they have.Like Ogres are evil because they are no top models like the rest of the races :-D

With the shifting alignment I will have to show the good races how prejudiced they were. And then make out with kissies <3

• 1900 posts
    February 3, 2017 9:46 AM PST
    I hear ya Fluffy. If I did go Dark Mr Bard, just got to work that faction. Because who wants to play with a bunch of stinky Skar and stupid Ogres o.0
    • 362 posts
    February 4, 2017 4:49 AM PST

Curious why the evil races are always the one depicted as odd,imperfect ,monstrous or ugly
    while the good races are always pretty,attractive and perfect
    As if imperfection,ugly is evil

and perfection,pretty is good

I don't really mind playing with ogre or skar,
    uncomfortable yes
    Afraid that Skar and Ogre might mistaken my Myr for seafood when I fall in combat :,-(
    Skar can make up for it during my sunbath on the rock sticking up out the ocean,
    wiggling their lizard tongue across my feet for massage <3

This post was edited by Fluffy at February 4, 2017 4:50 AM PST
    • 1481 posts
    February 4, 2017 2:42 PM PST

The female versions might be evilly attractive. Nothing says hot like a Mermaid tail.

• 362 posts
    February 5, 2017 4:23 AM PST

especially cute when angry and cursed :-D I've always wanted to roll one of the merfolks <3

• 15 posts
    February 7, 2017 2:21 PM PST

By all means they are not "Evil" as the concept of Good/Evil is subjective. If it were plain and clear, there would be no evil at all. The Ravaging Lord never seen himself as evil. He had a vision of the world he wished to live in and had the power and influence to draw others to his cause. Through his influence and by his own hand, he began to shape the world into the vision he seen in his mind's eye. His followers could've easily made a case that the races currently living on Terminus were evil and destructive with no right to bend the world around them to their will as they currently were. Their expansion and exploration could've been seen as a trespassing and looting of their home lands. If not for the 6 War Wizards and Dragon King Rok’Nhilthamos, this could've easily been an MMO about the straggling random races that populate Terminus planning and plotting the downfall of the Honorable and Just Ravaging Lord. Take a look at history and twist the one event that turned the tide in favor of what is became. Looking through the eyes of the vanquished, you may find that, while their views are morally wrong in today's views, they were fighting for a vision that we never had a chance to fully understand.

Given that outlook, the Dark Myr (Myr of Issul) were removed by force with no voice in the decision. They were placed in a world that was poisonous in the very life giving "air" they took into their lungs. They were driven out of that place and forced to breath air and stand on solid ground for the first time in the known history of their entire race. I can barely comprehend the outer edges of confusion and rage that were ignited with those two catastrophic events happening back to back. The very fact they have survived at all is a credit to the innovation of the Dark Myr. The fact that they channeled that rage to help shape history and bring about the world we all will enjoy traveling and exploring is a tribute to their resilience. For a strong and proud people, they have overcome more than any other race in Terminus 3 fold. Let us see how the Dwarves would survive if they had to adapt to the bottom of the sea where their precious metals would rust, their forages would never light and their beloved quarries would collapse with the ever changing tides held within the sea. Maybe now we have a glimpse of just one thread that is the blanket of rage and resentment they harbor for the world they have been forced to reside in.

But that's just a theory. Take it as you will.

• 187 posts
    February 7, 2017 5:03 PM PST

Smallchange said:

A whole lot of got it right

Paraphrasing.

+1

• 15 posts
    February 8, 2017 1:05 PM PST

Xilshale said:

Smallchange said:

A whole lot of got it right

Paraphrasing.

+1

Where did you find this quote Xilshade? Granted, I don't mind being quoted, but I can't find it anywhere in the prevous post. I'd hate to think that you were attempting to troll me.

Xilshale said:

Smallchange is a God among mortal men like myself.

Because that would be wrong to troll someone that can troll back. :)

Disclaimer: the final quote from Xilshade in this post was never an actual statement made by Xilshade and was used for the sole purpose of humor, however poorly implimented it was.

• 1 posts
    March 15, 2017 7:09 PM PDT

My girlfriend won't play one if they are truely evil, she insists on being good but really likes their look.

• 46 posts
    March 16, 2017 7:52 PM PDT
    She can be a Good member of an Evil race. She can even change faction (prove herself) and play with the other races.
    • 1917 posts
    March 17, 2017 7:56 AM PDT

Kurgon999 said: She can be a Good member of an Evil race. She can even change faction (prove herself) and play with the other races.

This is a good point. From the FAQ: "While there are some nuances to faction and alignment adjustment, evil races such as the Ogre, Skar, and Dark Myr will have a hard time getting close to good race cities. This is not set in stone, however, as you can adjust your faction and alignment through your actions in the game world."

So we can see that VR actually answers this question and defines Dark Myr as an "evil" race. But your personal alignment is flexible. It would of course take a lot more effort, but one could eventually become allies with the opposite faction. That way, you can have the cool appearance of a Dark Myr, but not feel dirty about doing evil things and hanging out with evil people. For example, in EQ1, my uncle played an Ogre that disowned his racial home and eventually became friends with the High Elves.

• 1900 posts
    March 17, 2017 8:33 AM PDT

Yea I have to decide if I want to avoid the extra effort and just be a good Bard. Or if I embrace evil. Or if I chose Myr but go through the effort to change alliances. Question is if I do that do I get blocked from the Dark Myr storyline? And if so would I want that?Because I kinda doubt faction wil let me play both sides heh.