Forums » Pantheon Classes

Day / Night Tanks

• 14 posts
    January 14, 2017 5:30 PM PST

I have had an idea and was just thinking it would be cool if the day and night cycle would actualy reflect on the classes tanking ability. Was just an idea I saw other posts about day and night cycles and how long they would be but nothing like this. I was just thinking of different ideas to make classes unique

example-

During the day time a crusader would get a bonus to attributes during the night a small decrease

During the night a dire lord would get a bonus to defensive attributes and during the day a small decrease

A warrior would be neutral and wouldnt affect them.

Zhyn

• 1434 posts
    January 14, 2017 6:12 PM PST

They had something like that in Shards of Dalaya (a modded EQ server). Not only did day and night affect certain abilities, certain holy days (maybe even seasons?) would give you a boost depending on your class/deity.

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Differences_between_SoD#Combat_and_Casting

• 318 posts
    January 14, 2017 8:06 PM PST

Idk. I feel like it would result in one of two things... Either the day/night buff is so minor it doesn't even matter and is basically ignored, or it is significant enough that whenever your group or raid faces a tough encounter, you have to sit around waiting until the time of day is ideal in order to get your buff before engaging. 

Neither of which do I think would be good gameplay. 

This post was edited by Wellspring at January 14, 2017 8:07 PM PST
    • 4 posts
    January 14, 2017 8:18 PM PST

...maybe, but it's not a bad thought, either.  For example, it could give a reason to have two tanks in the same group, as one is a night tank and one is a day tank.  It's essnetially just extending the attuning to atmostphere concept, and including night and day as one of the possible attunements you could have.  There might be soemthing fun in there...

• 2419 posts
    January 14, 2017 8:34 PM PST

zhyn said:

I have had an idea and was just thinking it would be cool if the day and night cycle would actualy reflect on the classes tanking ability. Was just an idea I saw other posts about day and night cycles and how long they would be but nothing like this. I was just thinking of different ideas to make classes unique

example-

During the day time a crusader would get a bonus to attributes during the night a small decrease

During the night a dire lord would get a bonus to defensive attributes and during the day a small decrease

A warrior would be neutral and wouldnt affect them.

Zhyn

And if you're in a dungeon where day and night are irrelevant...

• 1778 posts
    January 14, 2017 9:50 PM PST

Internal clock? :p

• 24 posts
    January 14, 2017 10:17 PM PST

Watches :) HEY guys, sorry, its a bit late, gotta get going back now, you're all great though i'm sure you'll do fine. bye bye now (looking down at his pocket watch nervously as he runs off)

• 97 posts
    January 14, 2017 10:23 PM PST

I remember early VG had a quest from Misthaven where you could turn into a vampire.  I think you had a small loss of hp during the day and better vision at night.  You also had the ability to turn into a bat with a small featherfall (I think). 

• 9115 posts
    January 15, 2017 4:20 AM PST

This topic has been moved to "Pantheon Classes" as it is better suited to the class subforum. :)

• 60 posts
    January 17, 2017 7:29 AM PST

A better solution for this I think would be to make use of the environmental system they will have in place. For example make it so in dark and gloomy places the dire lord will have increased defence and therefore will be much better at taking damage than the warrior or crusader. But I think for the most part the warrior should be better in most places and be focused as the main tank class but only in some areas should other tanking classes have chance to shine and be better for that moment. 

I think this is very fair considering the other classes are more hybrids but will also get their chance to shine at times. It will make raiding guilds highly want crusader and dire lords for certain raids in there specialized environments and allow players who play that class and want to tank to focus on gearing that way without feeling secondary as much.