Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Ragdoll corpses

• 14 posts
    January 13, 2017 7:42 AM PST

On the 3rd time I've watched the Cohh stream, I noticed that the corpses keel over like most other games, stiff. I'm not sure if it's planned or what kind of level of effort is involved, but it might be nice to see something such as a mob running full tilt as someone, only to be nuked and topple over it self as it dies.

Just a thought.

Mod Edit: Meme removed as they are against forum guidelines unless posted in the thread specifically created for them.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 13, 2017 4:36 PM PST
    • 1921 posts
    January 13, 2017 8:04 AM PST

It's more 'costly' (in the sense of load) to the rendering engine and has the potential to move corpses after death, if kinetic effects are in play, or friction & slopes.

So, while entertaining and in some games hilarious (Skyrim being one of the more pointed examples), I'm not sure having your corpse slide and fall from the top of Amberfaet to the bottom would be 'fun' when it came time to rez. :)

• 14 posts
    January 13, 2017 8:11 AM PST

I was smiling thinking of that. That's just me though. Haha.

Didn't your mom ever tell you not to fight near a ravine?

This post was edited by lewicki at January 13, 2017 8:12 AM PST
    • 1778 posts
    January 13, 2017 8:12 AM PST

Would be cool, but not that important to me.

• 159 posts
    January 13, 2017 8:28 AM PST

Not important imo vs server load and physics accidents.

• 14 posts
    January 13, 2017 8:53 AM PST

Xilshale said:

Not important imo vs server load and physics accidents.

Not to nitpick but server load is negligible. Physics calculations can be made client side. I remember many times in EQ when corpses on hills or next to walls become nearly untargetable/lootable.

This post was edited by lewicki at January 13, 2017 9:34 AM PST
    • 780 posts
    January 13, 2017 9:21 AM PST

I don't think they've done much with any animations yet.  There's a lot more to come.  They just aren't worrying about that stuff at this point.

• 2130 posts
    January 13, 2017 10:18 AM PST

Physics is indeed usually handled by the client. However, ragdolls have a number of issues. It's extremely expensive processing wise compared to just normal death animations, and physics always tends to introduce graphical errors, bodies flying into the sky, etc.

I'd rather not see it personally just because of the performance implications.

• 2886 posts
    January 13, 2017 10:40 AM PST

In games like Heroes of the Storm, ragdolling is a setting that can be disabled if your computer is not up to the task. But in that game, it doesn't matter where a corpse ends up. However, in an MMO, I don't think it'd be fair to be able to disable it. There are too many repercussions that are affected by where a corpse ends up. Yeah it can be funny to watch sometimes, until you realize that the mob is unlootable because it slid off the edge of a cliff from the killing blow? That corpse could have been carrying the item you've spent weeks grinding for. Basically, it's not worth it.

• 2130 posts
    January 13, 2017 10:50 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

In games like Heroes of the Storm, ragdolling is a setting that can be disabled if your computer is not up to the task. But in that game, it doesn't matter where a corpse ends up. However, in an MMO, I don't think it'd be fair to be able to disable it. There are too many repercussions that are affected by where a corpse ends up. Yeah it can be funny to watch sometimes, until you realize that the mob is unlootable because it slid off the edge of a cliff from the killing blow? That corpse could have been carrying the item you've spent weeks grinding for. Basically, it's not worth it.

Yeah, Dark Souls has solid ragdolls too, despite some errors at times. Overwatch has amazing ragdolls. Neither of those games are MMORPGs, though.

One thing that could resolve the bodies disappear is by not having the loot determined by the location of the corpse. It seems reasonable that the loot range could be exceptionally large, if not infinite, and that loot could automatically be opened in a UI window when a mob dies like the Advanced Looting system they added to EQ.

I can think of some workarounds but damn, I don't want to imagine the performance issues. Maybe if we had /hidecorpse, but then it'd defeat the purpose.

• 1 posts
    January 13, 2017 4:44 PM PST

I would be happy with just different death animations based on how something was killed, no physics involved.