Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Question/suggestion regarding servers

• 2130 posts
    January 14, 2017 1:26 AM PST

Gragorie said:

I don't think many people will be changing servers.  Maybe early on to be with friends that joined a different server, but when you have stuff like houses and full banks, alot of that wont transfer with you.  At least in previous games I have played that is the case. 

Every game I've played that had server transfers allowed for my bank to transfer with me. That's bizarre.

• 97 posts
    January 14, 2017 1:58 AM PST

Liav said:

Gragorie said:

I don't think many people will be changing servers.  Maybe early on to be with friends that joined a different server, but when you have stuff like houses and full banks, alot of that wont transfer with you.  At least in previous games I have played that is the case. 

Every game I've played that had server transfers allowed for my bank to transfer with me. That's bizarre.

I was wrong about banks, I know when merges were done, banks were ok.  It was just houses and anything in them that were lost.

• 318 posts
    January 14, 2017 7:05 AM PST

Liav said:

Gragorie said:

I support the idea of "naked" transfers. If you want to switch servers, you shouldn't be able to bring your platinum and trade-able items. This to reduce RMT and keep the server economies separated.

Also, transfers should be restricted to the same server rulesets. You shouldn't be allowe to level up to 50 on the  PvE server and then switch to the PvP server. 

• 170 posts
    January 14, 2017 7:46 AM PST

I personally would love there to be server rule sets. I know there is going to be PvE and PvP servers and maybe RP and that kind of stuff but what about this. Servers which are easier, normal and harder similar to when you used to play games back in the day and say it was Serious Sam or Diablo. You would select between 3 to 5 levels of difficulty and that's how the game would be. With the no server transfer in place, it shouldn't affect the economy but might make you play on multiple servers. Say you have a good friend how plays very limited due to family, work and other things and you want to be all hardcore. Well, you'd play with him on the easier server so you both could group and have fun but then you could also log into the other server when he can't play do some HC stuff with the uber guild you joined. I don't know just a thought but I did like it in other games not sure how or if it would work in an MMO.

• 2130 posts
    January 14, 2017 11:28 AM PST

Wellspring said:

I support the idea of "naked" transfers. If you want to switch servers, you shouldn't be able to bring your platinum and trade-able items. This to reduce RMT and keep the server economies separated.

Also, transfers should be restricted to the same server rulesets. You shouldn't be allowe to level up to 50 on the  PvE server and then switch to the PvP server. 

I can get behind some of these things.

I don't think server economies will be so wildly different that transferring plat and items would have an adverse effect, but I'd be willing to look at evidence that it did. I also don't think it has any impact whatsoever on RMT

However, not transferring from a PvE to PvP ruleset is required.

• 3016 posts
    January 14, 2017 1:49 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Liav said:

Disappointing to hear that paid server transfers aren't on the table at all. I sincerely hope it doesn't bite VR in the ass.

It isn't set in stone, there may be extreme cases where we will allow it but it probably won't be a common occurrence.

We have seen in other games, that "some" folks like to do that to get away from the unsavory rep they've created for themselves ..and server transfer is the easy way out.   Hope VR is aware of those types too :)

• 2130 posts
    January 14, 2017 1:56 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

We have seen in other games, that "some" folks like to do that to get away from the unsavory rep they've created for themselves ..and server transfer is the easy way out.   Hope VR is aware of those types too :)

Realistically with forums and social media that tie into games, reputations seem to be a lot more global now than they were back in the day. I somehow doubt that servers will be so harshly isolated from eachother that reputations won't follow people around to an extent.

EQ2 is a good example of that. Everybody knew who you were regardless of server because of EQ2Flames, especially if you were an ****** that robbed guild banks or something.

• 169 posts
    January 15, 2017 1:50 AM PST
    If it can be done with low latency, I would love to see servers separated only by rule sets. Do this so eu, oceanic, and America can all play on the same servers...and the servers will be populated 24/7. Also by doing this....and keeping the servers active at all times, it should be able to keep guilds from bottlenecking other guilds because of the different play times for each person from each area.
    • 1434 posts
    January 15, 2017 2:07 AM PST

Should never be easy servers in Pantheon. Do think there should be hardcore servers though, and players should be rewarded accordingly. More coin, better chance of rare spawns and rare drops, but at the cost of a harsher death penalty and less convenience in general.

• 1778 posts
    January 15, 2017 8:56 AM PST

Dullahan said:

Should never be easy servers in Pantheon. Do think there should be hardcore servers though, and players should be rewarded accordingly. More coin, better chance of rare spawns and rare drops, but at the cost of a harsher death penalty and less convenience in general.

In general I like the sound of that.

• 3016 posts
    January 15, 2017 10:46 AM PST

Liav said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Realistically with forums and social media that tie into games, reputations seem to be a lot more global now than they were back in the day. I somehow doubt that servers will be so harshly isolated from eachother that reputations won't follow people around to an extent.

EQ2 is a good example of that. Everybody knew who you were regardless of server because of EQ2Flames, especially if you were an ****** that robbed guild banks or something.

Guild bank robbers are specifically why I spoke up about paid server transfers.  

• 56 posts
    February 18, 2017 11:26 AM PST

Amsai said:

I think mega servers have good intent, but in practice dont work well. Also a like the whole server pride thing too.

Nothing wrong with taking a bit of pride in the servers/communities you're apart of. I'll always think fondly of Thunderaxe, Xeth and Bristlebane.

This post was edited by Wyatt at November 18, 2017 9:50 AM PST