Forums » The Wizard

AOE Groups

• 26 posts
    January 9, 2017 9:49 PM PST

Anyone remember the days of AOE groups.  I loved them.  They were super high risk, but oh so much fun.  I remeber doing AOE groups in Old Sebilis all the time.  I think one of the craziness AOE groups I was ever in was when my old guild (Brotherhood of the Spider - Rathe Server) was doing a raid in the Plane of Time and we did an entire guild AOE run where about 20 or 30 raid mobs were pulled and we actually (mostly) survived the pull and kill all the mobs.  (It was in the part of the Plane of Time where the army was gathering or something like that)

Anyone else remember what I am talking about?  Or have memories they want to share about these type groups?

• 419 posts
    January 10, 2017 3:39 AM PST

Hey mate! Yeah AoE groups like you said were great fun because they were so high risk... I played the enchanters role in them from time to time and it was a steep learning curve initially and lots of fun mastering it with plenty of anguish in between! :p

But i am extremely wary of how this mechanic is going to be used in Pantheon.  If using AoE in this fashion is not like walking on thin ice (extremely dangerous) i will fear for how this will impact on tactics and more and more people will trend to using AoE as their primary tactic and the quickly most of your skills start to become secondary to just AoEing everything!

On top of this i am also a little wary of all dps classes having high damage / potency aoe skills, because i worry again this will drive the tactics away from the Quaternity to just a simple round em up and AoE them down tactic.  I know this is a possibly a bit hysterical to assume that it will go that way but i am just nervous of simplifying the tactics to AoE CC and AoE DPS... fun on rare occasions when there is nothing to loose and you have the right class combination in group, but if all damage contributing classes have plenty of AoE capability then the game tends to lean towards just using those skills in absense of others. All this aside of course if the penalty for AoE is likely death, then this in itself will police how people can use it (safely) and i hope the consiquence for high damage AoE is a hell of a lot of trouble loosing agro and swift death!

I feel my want for minimalistic AoE will not be popular ;)

• 26 posts
    January 10, 2017 5:06 AM PST

I definitely hear what you are saying.  I hope like in most good games its an option not the standard.  And as you said in EQ doing AOE groups were definitely challenging, if everyone wasnt on the same page or someone didnt do what they were suppose to the entire group was going to wipe.  Sometimes its nice to break up the norm and do something that you need to drink 3 red bulls before you start!!!  Dont get me wrong, I like the idea of group play, everyone has a role and each role working together for a common goal.  Group play has always been my idea of a fun MMO. 

• 8 posts
    January 11, 2017 12:25 AM PST

Fungus grove aoe groups ftw. Pretty sure chain stunning with two enchanters was never intended, players will always push the limit. Aoe groups though were probably one of the most fun groups to be in, except for deep first time dungeon exploration. 

• 18 posts
    April 30, 2017 11:26 AM PDT

Fungus Grove  :)    I used to pull in AOE groups  :)  Good times and risk was very high with Wizzards, Chanter and a Warrior.  No Healers for Dis Dwarf  :(

• 151 posts
    July 15, 2017 3:31 PM PDT
    Loved me a good AOE group:-)
    • 172 posts
    July 22, 2017 10:03 AM PDT

Lots of good memories of AoE groups.  Like pulling nearly every mob in The Deep except the worms and Thought Horror Overfiend, including the Elders (albeit in the PoP era w/ Time gear).  But then again, that's kind of the problem, too.  Like many mechanics in EQ, chain stunning was eventually taken to a game-breaking extreme.  On the most recent TLP server to hit Luclin (Phinigel), it was common to have a single group clear most of Seb or The Deep every spawn cycle, often by using multiple boxed enchanters outside the group.  The experience rates for these groups were so inflated that people were selling spots for 1-2 krono per hour.  As an extreme example, in one weekend I got 300 AA on one character, and 250AA on another character, just by AoE clearing in The Deep.  Normally it would take weeks or months to gather so many AA.  It basically made it foolish to grind Exp or AA in any other way.  So I really hope AoE mechanics (AoE stun in particular) are kept in check.  Otherwise AoE will become the only intelligent way to earn XP, which would really be a shame.