Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Controller Support

This topic has been closed.
    • 13 posts
    January 8, 2017 11:09 AM PST

I am assuming everyone here is PC gamers, myself included, but I will say that for MMOs I have grown to enjoy using a gamepad. I don't use a gamepad for any other games but for MMOs I prefer them. I think mostly it's because MMOs I tend to put in long hours and I like the convenience of the gamepad. FFXIV is a great example of controller integration in an MMO, they nailed it. Anyway, anyone know if the Devs have stated whether the game will natively support them or not? Thanks 

• 1303 posts
    January 8, 2017 11:18 AM PST

Do you find it convenient to set down the controller in order to type chat with people? Or do you just not chat with people?

• 13 posts
    January 8, 2017 11:21 AM PST

That's a valid point. Typing I find it to be a pain to set the controller down to type but I do do it when needed. Most of the time though I have a headset and in constant communication with my guild via voice chat when doing raids / group events so the in-game chat is only used when I am with randoms not in my guild. 

But really not trying to debate which is better as I thnk all of us would agree controller/mouse is best. I was just wondering if there was any native support for it because I have looked and didn't see anything online so assumed the answer is no but figured I would ask. 

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 8, 2017 3:54 PM PST
    • 1778 posts
    January 8, 2017 11:38 AM PST

I usually just did a quick one handed typing for anything important in XI on PS2. I think its just a personal preference thing. People who are better with keyboards and mouse I would of course say dont try using a gamepad, it wont work out well. Some people are more comfortable with KB and M and others with gamepad for character controls.

Depending on how the controls work in Pantheon (saying nothing of if they would implement gamepad or not), my prefered set up would be M and KB and Gamepad and Headset. The idea being that I would use a gamepad for actual gameplay, mouse for certain menu/configuration actions and certain gameplay action like possible crafting, KB and Headset for various levels of communication. Headset for friends and family or for important mission critical things like a Raid. KB for most every other type of communication and the occaisional /command.

As far as what the devs said? It is not at the top of their list. Unity is friendly and somewhat easy from what Ive heard to implement gamepad functionality. But in order to do it right like the way FFXIV did it might take man power and budget from the main systems and features that they dont have. So the closest answer Ive got from devs is a maybe, but with 2 conditions. 1. It would be sometime after launch if they did make it gamepad ready. 2. Not if it would compromise the KB and M, or if gameplay would need to be dumbed down for it. With it being a tab target game and a slower more strategic sytle of combat I dont see 2. being and issue. But I also dont know what all the devs have in store for the gameplay. As far as 1. goes, I think its completely upt to the devs if they wanted to or if they thought it was worth it to do so.

• 318 posts
    January 8, 2017 11:40 AM PST
    Can you clarify what you mean when you say "gamepad"?
    • 1778 posts
    January 8, 2017 11:42 AM PST

Pretty sure he means like a PS or Xbox style controller.

• 13 posts
    January 8, 2017 11:51 AM PST

Amsai, yeah that's exactly how I play FFXIV now. KB / M for certain functions and some chat /commands etc, gamepad for actual gameplay, and headset for everything else communication wise. Also, very informative repsonse and I appreciate the information. Wellspring, I mean like using an Xbox controler on a PC via the PC adapter because Windows 10 natively supports it. 

• 9115 posts
    January 8, 2017 3:56 PM PST

We already have a thread on this topic, which can be found by typing "Controller" into the search function, so I will go ahead and close this one down, please use the search function prior to creating a new thread as more times than not, you will find that someone has already started a discussion on the topic over the last few years.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3251/playing-with-a-controller

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 8, 2017 7:59 PM PST