Forums » The Warrior

To Shield or not to Shield

• 326 posts
    January 6, 2017 2:06 AM PST

That is the question. Do you think that warriors should or will use a shield in Pantheon or duel wield when tanking? 

In EQ it was possible to use a 1h only and shield or 2h but that was not the best option for the warrior in most situations IMO. In EQ2 they kept nerfing the game until the shield was required to tank. Depending on how bad ass you were, some of us could pull off raiding while DW on all but the hardest raid mobs but this required the full set of end game gear which few Guardians were sporting.

I have seen it done many ways over many games but it seems like the idea of being "defensive" while duel wielding is dead (Until the last stream). What weapons do you expect the warrior to use while tanking? What do you prefer? What is your experience? Are you a 2H fan? Do you even care?

• 204 posts
    January 6, 2017 6:22 AM PST

I personally prefer a 2H sword, but am hoping that all tank classes can use whatever weaponset they want and that it is adequate for end game tanking. Yeah, a shield might give you a better defensive bonus over other combinations, and that's fine, but I hope that all types of weapons are viable.

This post was edited by Umbra at January 6, 2017 4:47 PM PST
    • 4172 posts
    January 6, 2017 8:08 AM PST

While tanking: shield. In my opinion, I wish it didn't even have to be a question tbh. Anyone that knows anything about actual melee sword combat knows that it's incredibly impractical to try to defend yourself with a weapon in your off-hand. Other situations should of course call for other weapon sets. But if you need to seriously defend yourself at all (from physical attacks), you need a shield or you're dead.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 6, 2017 8:10 AM PST
    • 215 posts
    January 6, 2017 8:21 AM PST

Double Shield, the only true path for Turtle Wizard Warriors!

This post was edited by Warben at January 6, 2017 8:22 AM PST
    • 4172 posts
    January 6, 2017 10:10 AM PST

Warben said:

Lol I would be so down for that. There was a thread a while ago about dual wielding shields as a Warrior and I think it would be awesome. The ultimate tanking solution.

Anyone that says it wouldn't be enough dps to be intimidating should put their money where their mouth is... lemme get a 6'4", 300-lb guy to bash you with a huge spiked shield and tell me it doesn't hurt lol

• 1789 posts
    January 6, 2017 2:48 PM PST

I believe the 2-handed is more for Dire Lords. I am assuming warriors will sword and board while tanking.

• 1546 posts
    January 6, 2017 3:23 PM PST

I liked in Vanguard that warriors were mainly dual-wielders, even when tanking.  Dire lords did the two handed thing while paladins were sword and shield.  So it's entirely possible that warriors in this game could be mostly dual wielders.

Although I think of warriors as the ultimate weapon masters myself, and I would like any of the above should be options with abilities that allow you to function normally with any of those combinations.

• 1789 posts
    January 6, 2017 4:51 PM PST

Could just be my bias, but I would think for real,tanking, you should have to use a shield for defense. But, I remember in EQ2, the mobs didn't damage as much, but you had to max DPS just to keep agro. So, you dropped the shield. I hope that's not the case here.

• 1179 posts
    January 6, 2017 8:07 PM PST

I think that if you are a tank and your class is able to equip a shield, then you'd probably want to carry a shield and equip it when tanking to mitigate as much damage as possible.  Maybe in a group setting it wouldn't matter as much and you could get away with dual weilding, but I think it still makes sense to use a shield....unless, like Beefcake said, you have to rely on both weapons to keep aggro.  I hope that's not the case.

• 272 posts
    January 9, 2017 4:07 PM PST

I'd like it to be dependant on the encounter.

A heavily armored foe like a dragon, you're gonna a get shredded regardless of shield (ripped like tinfoil) so a 2 hander to carve that thing up while hoping your healer is up for keeping you alive while you keep the thing focused on you as you slash and dodge.  Maybe have strikes with a heavy weapon cause an AC Debuff so your DPS buddies can hit harder while the Debuff generates agro over time.

A melee combatant?  Sword and board to keep yourself covered.  Maybe a all around mitigation buff.  The "normal" approach for most fights if you can withstand the hits and don't need to interrupt.

A caster fight? Interrupt with lightning fast slashes and smashes from paired weapons, keep them too busy to wiggle their fingers.  Perhaps a haste and/or bonus to interrupt mechanic?

A warrior should be a master of melee combat after all.

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 9, 2017 4:52 PM PST
    • 91 posts
    January 13, 2017 8:45 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Warben said:

Lol I would be so down for that. There was a thread a while ago about dual wielding shields as a Warrior and I think it would be awesome. The ultimate tanking solution.

Anyone that says it wouldn't be enough dps to be intimidating should put their money where their mouth is... lemme get a 6'4", 300-lb guy to bash you with a huge spiked shield and tell me it doesn't hurt lol

LOL well said my friend!

• 10 posts
    January 14, 2017 7:41 AM PST

I like having a shield for tanking and then dropping it for another wep or 2 hander when just helping on DPS.  To me alot of the tank mechanics feel better with a shield vs relying on high dex/agi or what ever for evasion.  IMO, Wars are meant to absorb damage vs being super nimble and dancing around taking damage.  With that theory, the shield should help mitigate that damage they are absorbing.  It also supports stun moves and spell interruptions.

• 48 posts
    January 18, 2017 11:04 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

While tanking: shield. In my opinion, I wish it didn't even have to be a question tbh. Anyone that knows anything about actual melee sword combat knows that it's incredibly impractical to try to defend yourself with a weapon in your off-hand. Other situations should of course call for other weapon sets. But if you need to seriously defend yourself at all (from physical attacks), you need a shield or you're dead.

This.  

As a tank, shield should be king.  This is one combat mechanic that always bothered me in EQ.  Main tank should not be dual wielding unless he is doing that for extra dps on easier content.  Shield should provide vast amount of extra benefits over off hand weapon.  For example many forms of crowd control: stun, interrupt, knockdown, protect.. Shield should provide HUGE defensive abilities.  Blocking majority of attacks if you are using a giant tower shield (at cost of slower movement, etc..).     I can understand some hit to agro due to less damage, but all other benefits should more than make up for it.  Even when it comes to agro, sometimes ability to protect a healer with your giant shield (taking them off the agro list) is worth generating less agro as a tank.

That said it should be situational.  If you are fighting a swarm of "easy" mobs, it may be more optimal to dual wield or use 2h weapon.  Due to aoe type damage and agro.  But while fighting a single boss mob, shield should win hands down in most cases.

• 1191 posts
    January 18, 2017 1:05 PM PST

What would people think of a "epic" shield instead of a "epic" weapon quest for warriors?

• 48 posts
    January 18, 2017 1:27 PM PST

philo said:

What would people think of a "epic" shield instead of a "epic" weapon quest for warriors?

I think it would be a lot more suitable for a Tank than a weapon!  Love the idea.  It would probably be safer though to choose your epic reward, weapon or a shield.

• 1179 posts
    January 18, 2017 5:39 PM PST

moszis said:

philo said:

I think it would be a lot more suitable for a Tank than a weapon!  Love the idea.  It would probably be safer though to choose your epic reward, weapon or a shield.

I like the idea of giving a choice there, but do you make the choice 1H+Shield -or- 2 X 1H -or- 2H?  I do like the idea of permanent choices, but can see people being put off by that. You know, worrying about if they choose just the weapons when they weren't planning on tanking and then they discover they like tanking and can't get the shield.  Too bad transformer epic sword has already been done...lol.  Other classes would probably complain about warriors having choices, too.  Guess you could possibly do epic mini-sets as rewards, I guess.  Maybe give everyone a handful of items for their reward.  I dunno.

• 1191 posts
    January 18, 2017 7:39 PM PST

I guess we will just have to have epic weapon...and epic offhand item quests. ...and epic armor and jewelry and... ;)

• 1179 posts
    January 18, 2017 7:46 PM PST

Don't forget the epic-quested spells and abilities!  Haha.

• 54 posts
    January 26, 2017 9:48 AM PST

I hope they implement a proper block/parry mechanic in general, that makes melee combat feel unique for the warrior.

Blocking/parrying should be something more or less reactive or at least something you do consciously. if they won't implement active blocking, at least have a channeled block ability that gives certain bonuses if timed correctly.

• 91 posts
    February 4, 2017 12:05 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Warben said:

lol that was great...I too would down for that. To reply to the OP I would prefer tanking with the shield just because of the AC.

• 2938 posts
    February 4, 2017 12:25 PM PST

I think duel wielding shields seems a bit bizarre, but I think it would be cool if certain archetypes had an equip slot unique to their role.  Tanks, for example, could have a primary shield they carry with their hands, and a secondary shield that they equip on their back.  Healers could have an aura that permeates around their character, offering some sort of buff to various types of heals or colored mana.  Casters could have a familiar of sorts (2 pets for summoners!) that doesen't attack, but offers some sort of buff.  Melee DPS could use poisons or other types of consumables.  The familiar/poison idea has already been used in a lot of games but it was more of an ability tied into their class.  I think having a unique equipment slot for each archetype could add more flavor to each role and create some additional separation between roles.

This post was edited by oneADseven at February 4, 2017 12:26 PM PST
    • 1179 posts
    February 8, 2017 1:54 AM PST

I think it's pretty likely that we'll get at least a couple of shields that can be worn on the backs of some classes.  We had a few in EverQuest, even before expansion.

• 295 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:33 PM PST

I still want to be able to dual wield shields as a warrior.  Especially as an ogre warrior wielding two tower shields as they tank a Dragon or a Leviathon.  That would make this Ogre warrior very happy :)

• 20 posts
    February 12, 2017 2:07 PM PST

This Dwarf slams his Axe against his Shield.  Who said all we could do was sword and board?  What about me Axe??????????

• 200 posts
    February 15, 2017 11:53 PM PST
    I could swear we had this discussion already.. I hope the warrior has a shield and is not less effective using one as old EQ. I liked the massive AC gains from a shild as Rift did it.