Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Question about Gnomes

• 77 posts
    January 5, 2017 11:44 PM PST

This may or may not be something that can be revealed, but as a long time Gnome this has been a big curiosity of mine:

Are all gnomes going to have an Iron Mask face?

Is the Iron Mask Face..... just a piece of armor?

Thanks.

-Fingurs

• 470 posts
    January 6, 2017 12:27 AM PST

From what I can tell from the lore, gnomes wear body suits due to a little incident with magic or something. So the suit kind of contains their energy form. So the mask will probably have some variations, but it's likely they'll all have one of some sort. May be a bit before we know for sure the customization options.

• 411 posts
    January 6, 2017 4:02 AM PST

There was actually a pretty fun rundown of the race during the most recent livestream. Cohh was playing a female gnome and asked about it. I suggest you give it a listen/look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-VljOeRfis&feature=youtu.be&t=2940

• 2886 posts
    January 6, 2017 6:45 AM PST

It seems like the mask itself is what gives life to their magical essence. So without it, the gnome would probably simply cease to exist. I would expect there to be many variations of masks. Materials, colors, markings, etc. depending on the social standing, profession, or personality of each gnome. But it's basically their head. And when you don't have a head, you die.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 6, 2017 6:46 AM PST
    • 1778 posts
    January 6, 2017 7:55 AM PST

Its also possible that in place of helmets maybe Gnomes will be able to find or craft mask upgrades. Also at char creation Id like to see different styles of masks with different markings to make them a bit more different from one another.

• 77 posts
    January 6, 2017 10:31 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

It seems like the mask itself is what gives life to their magical essence. So without it, the gnome would probably simply cease to exist. I would expect there to be many variations of masks. Materials, colors, markings, etc. depending on the social standing, profession, or personality of each gnome. But it's basically their head. And when you don't have a head, you die.

This is what I was worried about.  Bummer.  Well hopefully I can come around on another race.

Thanks!

• 151 posts
    January 6, 2017 11:37 AM PST

I think their whole concept of gnomes this go around is much better. The whole look to include the mask. I say this because I no longer have an intense desire to commit genocide. Before they were unbearable what with the big heads, small hands, and the constant smell of cabage and feet. Now they don't look like something that the very sight of will bring on a state of rage in me and many others. I say keep the gnomes masked.

• 3016 posts
    January 6, 2017 12:37 PM PST

Hope we get a variety of masks to choose from OR crafters can make them..it would be armor after all I would think?  There could be some pretty cool variations..with time. :)

• 144 posts
    January 6, 2017 12:41 PM PST

Betting that a lot of the gnome customization and variation will be all about the mask. I think I recall the team saying that the mask is effectively what "holds" them together as a living entity and keeps them from coming apart as pretty much pure magical energy?

Would be awesome to see color and texture customization, maybe accents, small sigils... again, lots of possibilities!

• 2886 posts
    January 6, 2017 12:52 PM PST

This discussion has been going on for a while in the Gnome race subforum. They definitely took a lot of liberties in designing the Terminus gnomes and I think they had the right to do so, but it's still controversial because a lot of people feel strongly about gnomes in general, either liking or disliking them. I personally do not have a very strong opinion either way. It seems (from a relatively small sample size) that most people are in favor of the "new" reimagined gnomes. Usually with gnomes in most games, the entire race is basically just a joke. A lot of people like the humor associated with it and there's nothing wrong with that. But I think VR sensed that their primary target audience would want something a little more dark and serious. It's understandable for the purists to be disappointed. But I, for one, applaud VR for thinking outside the box.

• 156 posts
    January 6, 2017 4:52 PM PST

What, no Jason hockey mask?

• 3016 posts
    January 6, 2017 6:01 PM PST

Or maybe..dundun ..clown masks? :D  I would hope that they have stats as well as being craftable.  :)

• 2138 posts
    January 6, 2017 6:10 PM PST

Or they will be the only ones with no Faction, not even partial faction with any other races, and have no sense of good or evil. Wether they make a human mask out of real human flesh, will have them hated in Human areas, but possibly accepted in Skar. Or they make a painted face from hides where the humans nickname them "leatherface" and are subjects of derision in Human settlements for the mask, but at least are tolerated and accepted, but not in Skar. Likewise, a mask made of Dark Kyr flesh would cause ostracism in Human towns, but may fly with the Skar... and may fly with Dark Myr.

• 3016 posts
    January 6, 2017 6:19 PM PST

Hmmmm faction masks..interesting..I like it :)

• 9115 posts
    January 6, 2017 9:28 PM PST

I have gone ahead and removed the images from this thread as they are not related to the topic at hand, please try to keep images to an absolute minimum unless they are demonstrating something serious to the development team (e.g. the carrying of weapons thread - https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4933/on-the-carrying-of-weapons) or you are asked to post one by a VR staff member for reference, otherwise all memes and pics belong in the off topic section, not in the general development forums.

We appreciate jokes and picture replies too on FB and other platforms but we like to keep our development forums clean and tidy and just text based so we can locate and share information quickly, which helps us with feedback and the development of the game.

On Topic:

Justin explains the Gnomes mask and the reason for it in our December stream, he goes into a bit of detail that states the masks are what binds the Gnomes to their form and it is actually quite interesting, it may not be everyone's cup of tea but hopefully when we release more information on them people might come around as they are quite unique and interesting as races go :)

• 470 posts
    January 6, 2017 9:31 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Justin explains the Gnomes mask and the reason for it in our December stream, he goes into a bit of detail that states the masks are what binds the Gnomes to their form and it is actually quite interesting, it may not be everyone's cup of tea but hopefully when we release more information on them people might come around as they are quite unique and interesting as races go :)

Here's a question/food for thought: were any of the gnomes spared from the "incident" or did some yahoo manage to nuke the whole race with a spell gone awry?

This post was edited by Kratuk at January 6, 2017 9:31 PM PST
    • 610 posts
    January 7, 2017 3:16 AM PST

Kratuk said:

Kilsin said:

Here's a question/food for thought: were any of the gnomes spared from the "incident" or did some yahoo manage to nuke the whole race with a spell gone awry?

The Gnomes that were spared from the "incident" are the playable characters....if youre meaning were there any that were unchanged, I dont think so, and even if there were they are pretty much gone now since there home world is no more, hence why they are in Terminus

• 780 posts
    January 7, 2017 5:01 AM PST

I wonder what other customization options we will have for the Gnomes.  I think the mask will be most of it, and I don't think those will be craftable.  If there's an equipment slot for the face, I think it will function the same way for all races.  I think you'll be able to choose which color their essence glows, and if you look at the Mak'esh wrappings as skin, I think you can probably change the color/design and maybe the pattern in which they are wrapped around the 'body'.  I'm not sure what else you could have.