Forums » The Halflings

More Different Than Gnomes!

• 52 posts
    July 1, 2017 5:06 AM PDT

I like the originalitty of the gnomes and halflings, I just wished they weren't called gnomes and halflings. No one is complainging about the Skar, because they didn't call them Trolls.

• 7 posts
    May 21, 2018 12:22 PM PDT
    In my opinion, the halflings are fine. The look of the halfling that we see is what makes me want to play one. Never liked races being too small. If the size of halflings is shrunk to like they were in Everquest, I'll go Dark Myr. If it were me I would make the dwarf model the same height as the halfling just with a more muscular build.

Now to gnomes. I might have read the lore wrong, but weren't gnomes a smaller size until they put themselves into the machines they made? If so, the gnomes are fine for me. Again, dont like small races being too small. Keep them as is.
    • 54 posts
    May 31, 2018 5:43 AM PDT

Gnomes have referred to many different creatures over the course of mythology. I believe they were originaly wee things that lived in fey hills and played tricks. As to halflings, Wizards of the Coast wanted a hobbit like race for their game, but for legal reasons they couldn't call them hobbits, so they changed the race to thinner, more adventurous (to the point of wanderlust) trickster rogues, and called them halflings, and so we have examples like Tasslehoff Burrfoot held up against Bilbo, the most adventurous of hobbits.

If we're talking about sticking to absolute hallmarks of a race when naming a race a pre-existing name, we should really make the gnomes live like brownies, and leave the halflings the way they are because they're pretty close to the *actual* halflings.

This post was edited by wizen at May 31, 2018 5:43 AM PDT
    • 15 posts
    June 2, 2018 1:21 AM PDT

I really love what they've done with both Gnomes and Halflings. Love the creativity and willingness to step outside the box.