Forums » The Bard

Melee vs ranged

• 5 posts
    September 23, 2017 10:43 AM PDT

I am for mele bards all day. Ranged weapons should be relagated to boss mobs with nasty AOE's and kiting. I like to be in the thick of things. Having to play ranged would be as boring as having to play a healer class and babysit health bars, no offense healers, you guys do a great job!=)

• 159 posts
    January 12, 2018 9:40 AM PST

Contrary to the EQ1 bard, I think the bard should be a medium armor wearing, small weapon and shield wielding mobile musician (with spell caster combat stats).  The armor and shield would be to protect them in combat situations while allowing them to still perform.  The bard should be inspiring to allies and demoralizing to enemies, not fighting along side a Monk or Dire Lord, and not punishing enemies with a hail of arrows with the Rangers; Instead they should be weaving in and out of combat singing anthems and mesmerizing audiences with their fascinating performance... switching to different instruments to amplify their captivating songs and words of encouragement or viscious mockery.  Their range should be line of sight/sound, effectively being able to be in melee range or at a distance, but the majority of their damage should come from their magically enhanced music and words.  

Instead of a Jack-of-all-Trades wearing heavy armor, dual wielding, and having ranged capabilities with songs, have them be the masters of support and CC (along with Enchanter so there isn't just one CC master)... or change their class name from Bard. 

*Insert image of Shakespeare wearing full plate, dual wielding long swords while reading poetry here.*

:P

This post was edited by Darch at January 12, 2018 9:43 AM PST
    • 327 posts
    January 12, 2018 10:07 AM PST

Bard toolkit:

• 2010 posts
    January 18, 2018 10:09 AM PST

@Darch

Totally on board with your kind of Bard. Good stuff man!

@Tanwedar

Shhhhhhh! Dont let the other classes know, or they will be jealous!