Forums » The Bard

Melee vs ranged

• 677 posts
    December 29, 2016 9:30 PM PST

Topic is simple enough, do you want bards in PRF to focus on melee or ranged? Or both?

I've always played my bards as melee. Ever since EQ I've hoisted myself into the fray of battle singing and swinging and this is definitely my preference. I don't believe I've ever even played a ranged bard. I believe Final Fantasy has ranged bards and I know you can make a ranged bard in Rift but mine was melee. Maybe Archeage has a ranged bard, but I don't know. I only played AA til like level 6 lol.

Anywho, what do you like or prefer? Should the bards of Terminus be of the singing and swinging type or of the hooting and shooting sort lol?

• 1993 posts
    December 30, 2016 8:21 AM PST

Personally a fan of the ranged Bard. When not singing, using arrows, bolts, or throwing weapons (daggers, stars, boomerang even). If I could choose out of those then Id say throwing daggers from a stylized approach.

That being said its not a deal breaker if they are melee.

And yes FFXI probably shaped my leaning towards ranged. But they could equip estoc or rapier class weapons, but it was mostly for Bard stats and parry to help with their low defense (no plate or chain for Bards in XI). Most ranged damage done by Bards in XI were from songs though. Which I could also get on board with as technically its still ranged damage heh.

• 1564 posts
    December 30, 2016 2:25 PM PST

Bards are always supposed to do everything, but not greatly. So, I anticipate both.

• 1993 posts
    December 30, 2016 7:47 PM PST

@Beefcake

Though Im not necessarily a fan of over-hybridization, it wouldnt be a deal breaker for Bard to be more jack-of-all-trades-ish. However I always picture bards as being THE best combat buffers (i.e. not protective buffs) and the largest list of non-combat utility spells.

But yea the more I think about it the more Id be okay with a Bards instrument being all inclusive for casting buffs, debuffs, CC, Utility and any dps. Sonic Damage go!

• 1564 posts
    December 30, 2016 8:22 PM PST

You can seriously dent someone's head with a basoon or bass guitar.

Yes, I feel they should be the ultimate buffers and utility, but the OP was asking about weapon style.

• 1993 posts
    December 30, 2016 9:08 PM PST

Good point Beefcake. How about something like this?

Image result for el kabong

• 1564 posts
    December 31, 2016 5:24 AM PST

You have to give the bard above style points for the matching cape, hat, and mask, while wearing nothing else.

I love animal cartoons.

• 1993 posts
    December 31, 2016 11:00 AM PST

^.^

Couldnt resist, but yea Im a cartoon/anime nut. Pretty much dont care what. Looney Toons, Disney, Pixar, Anime, etc. If its animated, Im a sucker for it.

Funniest moments is when me (40) and my dad (63) are watching Anime and relatives or friends call asking what we are up to. When I tell them they usually sound bewildered, like why the hell would yall watch that. LOL.

• 677 posts
    January 5, 2017 8:37 PM PST

I dabbled with the new FF MMO and they have ranged bards so I thought FFXI most likely had ranged bards too. So I also had a feeling which direction you would lean Ams. I really like being up in the fray of things so I prefer melee but I could live with a ranged bard. But since we have limited spell slots we could actually be both. As long as our abilities aren't washed out because of trying to please both melee and ranged we could do well as both. Give us a good amount of abilities and we can make a setup for melee and a setup for ranged.

• 1993 posts
    January 6, 2017 7:30 AM PST

Yea Im all about the options too. But I do agree not at the expense of being too watered down. So in the long run I suppose Id rather them be melee than too watered down. And even though I now know what VRs direction with support functions is going to be. I expect Bard will be a bit more jack of all, but I do hope master of some (like buffs and pulls, etc). And of course aboe all I want a fun and interesting class.

• 2549 posts
    January 6, 2017 7:53 AM PST

I'd imagine they'd be somewhat competent with a bow, but in my mind they should be far and away more likely to dual wield swords.

• 299 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:10 AM PST

With no kiting, I would love to see the option of many melee weapons for auto attack and skills. 1h sword, bow, throwing darts. Flute thats a boomerang =-)

• 324 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:37 AM PST

Nanfoodle said:

With no kiting, I would love to see the option of many melee weapons for auto attack and skills. 1h sword, bow, throwing darts. Flute thats a boomerang =-)

http://www.copperman.co.uk/shoppe/images/large/bo_004_blue_whistle_boomerang_01_01_LRG.jpg

• 299 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:40 AM PST

LOL

• 2549 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:48 AM PST

tanwedar said:

Nanfoodle said:

http://www.copperman.co.uk/shoppe/images/large/bo_004_blue_whistle_boomerang_01_01_LRG.jpg

Lol that's amazing. "Pfeifender Bumerang" sounds like an awesome name for a bard :P

I can actually picture some sort of panpipe/boomerang hybrid. In one of the other threads, I advocated for instruments that doubled as weapons. Don't see any reason why ranged weapons couldn't be included in that. In regards to the OP, I typically picture bards as melee. But if they are to truly be jack-of-all-trades, I suppose they should also be proficient in all forms of physical combat.

• 299 posts
    February 7, 2017 12:00 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

tanwedar said:

Nanfoodle said:

Lol that's amazing. "Pfeifender Bumerang" sounds like an awesome name for a bard :P

I can actually picture some sort of panpipe/boomerang hybrid. In one of the other threads, I advocated for instruments that doubled as weapons. Don't see any reason why ranged weapons couldn't be included in that. In regards to the OP, I typically picture bards as melee. But if they are to truly be jack-of-all-trades, I suppose they should also be proficient in all forms of physical combat.

As for instruments that are also wespons. Bards could be playing them magically. That opens an whole pandoras box of options.   

• 561 posts
    February 7, 2017 1:01 PM PST

Would prefer bard as mid-range to long range class 

A few melee abilities ,bashing the lute on skull of the enemy .Dazzle them good <3

• 53 posts
    February 7, 2017 3:15 PM PST

I would like to see it be mid - ranged with one long range instant ability for pulling

• 677 posts
    February 8, 2017 2:31 PM PST

Haha, LOVE the fluterang!

• 16 posts
    February 14, 2017 6:08 PM PST

I am admittedly partial to the ranged bard, but I really dig the Swashbuckler with a Lute as well. Maybe a system that allows for specializing in either? Say, Rapier and Daggerthrow with an Lute, or bow/crossbow with some woodwind? I feel there is a real opportunity for hybridization on the class. 10/10 would play.

• 105 posts
    February 16, 2017 9:05 PM PST

I hope its melee. It BETTER be melee.

• 62 posts
    February 18, 2017 3:32 PM PST

I for one hope there's a bit of a mix, with primary focus as melee, but that's just my preference.  Songs that act as DD and DoT to be used in conjunction with melee (like the EQ Bard).  I loved how the Bard in EQ was designed, hence why it was my main for so long!

Oh, yeah.. I hope we get plate!

• 11 posts
    February 18, 2017 8:11 PM PST

Melee

The instrument you equip will more then likely have modifiers like classic EQ did. 

Singing should be baseline, and instruments should agument. This should allow you to customize some of your playstyle and is pretty fair all around.

The thing we want to avoid is locking bards into favoring only one playstyle. Part of why I enjoyed bards was I had options.

Any word if they will kill swarm kiting ?

• 11 posts
    February 18, 2017 8:13 PM PST

Lyrical said:

Oh, yeah.. I hope we get plate!

Same here, at very least chain, but ideally PLATE.

Hate how some newer MMOs put bards in just leather or cloth and play them like casters.

• 11 posts
    February 18, 2017 8:15 PM PST

Dhampir said:

I hope its melee. It BETTER be melee.

Bard is my Fav class, so yes, It BETTER be MELEE :P