Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

World Map

• 134 posts
    December 29, 2016 7:46 PM PST

Part of what I love about this game is the Everquest style world map.

I was reading through race lore and couldn't find on the map where Dwarves would hail. It says in the southern tundra, yet I don't see a Tundra-esq place in the south. I only see six crowns, which I can narrow down as starting areas for...

Thronefast - Humans

Faerthal - Elves

Wilds End - Halflings

Skargol - Skar

The Broken Maw - Ogre

Syrnoai's Rest - Dark Myr

So my question is... where do Archai, Gnomes and Dwarves fit in?

https://pantheonmmo.com/images/atlas-hi-res.jpg

• 27 posts
    December 29, 2016 7:51 PM PST

"naming the area Khadassa, meaning "Khazas’ Reach", after their king." kings reach?

• 134 posts
    December 29, 2016 7:54 PM PST

pendragen said:

"naming the area Khadassa, meaning "Khazas’ Reach", after their king." kings reach?

Pretty sure Kingsreach is the name of the eastern continent. Like Reignfall is the western one.

• 284 posts
    December 29, 2016 8:39 PM PST

The continent those three races reside on is called Whitethaw, and is not depicted in the map on this site.1 I am pretty sure the reason for this is that it is an old conceptual map, which will be updated at some point in the future. There is a line from the telling of the Age of Chaos iirc that says "Avendyr (important human king) was mourned on no less than half a dozen continents" when he died, which implies to me a much more fleshed out world. I wouldn't take too much stock in the map for now. Incidentally, Khaldassa is merely a region on Whitethaw, not a continent in and of itself.

edit: I sincerely apologize, the Archai do not in fact reside on Whitethaw proper; they live in particular on the island of Su'Roa. I believe my mistake was precipitated by the description of their alliance of convenience with the Dwarves, who do in fact live on Whitethaw, and of the description of their hiding in the Frozen Sanctum which also lies near that continent in what is known as the "Tenebrous Tundra".

1. To avoid pedantry I'll just add here that Gnomes technically live in what is basically a spaceship that just so happens to be located "on" Whitethaw.

This post was edited by Jimmayus at December 29, 2016 10:13 PM PST
    • 169 posts
    December 30, 2016 9:41 AM PST

I don’t know where the in game locations will be for the races, but I hope there is no world map in game. That kind of cheapens the experience of adventure and exploration. It’s enough that we can see this map and get an idea of where everything is before even playing the game.

• 116 posts
    December 30, 2016 9:53 AM PST

I'm pretty sure they have said there will be a world map, but not a local one.  I.e you'll have a general idea of what area you are in but not your precise location.  Could be wrong though.  

• 169 posts
    December 30, 2016 9:56 AM PST

Hi itvar,

I didn’t see that in any videos I watched of gameplay, but that sounds fairly acceptable. The thing that kills the adventure the most IMO is the GPS systems and the glowing trails. Quest Markers that show up on maps are also a killer to an extent.

Thanks

• 284 posts
    December 30, 2016 10:49 AM PST

Well, if EQ is anything to go by we'll probably be using our memorization of landmarks and the Pantheon compass at the top as our primary means of orienteering. Add reasonable topological maps in places like local inns and you're good to go. GPS systems are one of the worst things to happen to the genre, I'm over the moon they won't be present.

• 432 posts
    December 30, 2016 1:39 PM PST

You have some Lore, speculations, deductions and maps here : https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4563/race-locations-and-speculations

• 1618 posts
    December 30, 2016 2:24 PM PST

I am really waiting for the updated map. It will greatly affect what races I play, since I want to be able to play with my wife relatively early in the game.

• 78 posts
    December 31, 2016 1:36 AM PST

I'm loving the map, and loving the idea of racial cities. I can't wait to travel zones to meet my friends. BRING BACK QENOS to FREEPORT journey!

• 1618 posts
    December 31, 2016 5:39 AM PST

I just hope they change it up more, so that all the good races are not on one continent and all the bad races on the other.

The races were supposed to in conflict at times. That is much harder and less natural when they are separated by oceans.

Usually city-states go to war with their neighbors, not travel to another continent to fight.

Getting enough trips to another continent for a real invasion force is very difficult, especially while leaving your home relatively undefended, unless you complete outnumbered and overpower the opponent.

Same reason why the US has been relatively safe from wars on our soil.

This post was edited by Beefcake at December 31, 2016 5:40 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 3, 2017 9:59 AM PST

Beefcake said:

I just hope they change it up more, so that all the good races are not on one continent and all the bad races on the other.

The races were supposed to in conflict at times. That is much harder and less natural when they are separated by oceans.

Usually city-states go to war with their neighbors, not travel to another continent to fight.

Getting enough trips to another continent for a real invasion force is very difficult, especially while leaving your home relatively undefended, unless you complete outnumbered and overpower the opponent.

Agree,  mix them up.  Make it interesting. :)

• 780 posts
    January 3, 2017 9:49 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Beefcake said:

Agree,  mix them up.  Make it interesting. :)

Yes, please do this.  It won't feel as real to me if all the good races are together in one place and the bad races are together in another.

EDIT:  Had my comment inside the quote...fail.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at January 5, 2017 4:46 PM PST
    • 363 posts
    January 4, 2017 10:46 AM PST

Love the world map, can't wait to see it updated! But PLEASE no GPS map! Compass and landmarks ftw!

This post was edited by Flossie at January 4, 2017 11:14 AM PST
    • 97 posts
    January 4, 2017 10:51 AM PST

You have gotten better at sense heading (1)

• 610 posts
    January 4, 2017 11:18 AM PST

Quintra said:

You have gotten better at sense heading (1)

Now we're going old school

• 1618 posts
    January 4, 2017 11:23 AM PST

If we have a compass, we should have sense heading. I loved it when the compass would keep changing because my skill was not good enough.

This post was edited by Beefcake at January 4, 2017 11:23 AM PST
    • 134 posts
    January 5, 2017 4:04 PM PST

I had NO IDEA there was a third continent. Mind, blown.

• 1618 posts
    January 5, 2017 4:44 PM PST

Dhampir said:

I had NO IDEA there was a third continent. Mind, blown.

Hopefully more eventually. At least Pantheon has a lore reason for new lands to appear. The gods brought them!

Other games have to declare them as newly discovered Or something.