Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

serverside logging of statistics

• 61 posts
    December 29, 2016 8:12 AM PST

Will there be some sort of logging of statistics keeping track of total # of deaths, total # of each type of mob killed, etc?  I think it would be fun to look at the stats chart for my toon after a few years and see I have killed  10427 orc centurions, 34231 orcs, 57123 goblins, crafted 521 swords, looted 300plat etc.

• 556 posts
    December 29, 2016 8:16 AM PST

I wouldn't be against some of the stats being held but I don't think it should be broken down by mob. What I mean is 'orc centurians' should just count as an orc. Trying to keep track of too much data can be detrimental. Especially when they will have so many different names and types of mobs. And I really hope they never include any 'named' mobs in the list. Leave that part of the mystery that we have to find

• 801 posts
    December 29, 2016 9:21 AM PST

Well i would say Networking stats are very important if say it was a MP GSP hosted product. Since it is governed by VR hive, it will be limited to basic stats for them, and for us. I dont know if we need to bog down the servers we play on with no use data parses.

Its very important, that the engine runs as smooth as it can, so we can group up without lag issues. Since we want to push a number of players we need all the bandwidth, server resources we can get.

I would be happy for item parses, when the items dropped, guild infomation, etc... some thing can be suggested around alpha if we want more.

Idea is good Blue, but do we really need totals? unless it is special kills.

• 109 posts
    December 29, 2016 9:47 AM PST

I would love for it EVERYTHING to be tracked personally and I think it could provide good data to them just for having it. Whether they share it with us is the real question, I think

Things to track is an endless list. Will be a gigantic database. It will all be needed for debugging, and tracking down problems

Eventually, I would love a web interface where we can see all thing that are relevant and/or fun to look at

• - Global Stats
    • - Server/Shard Stats
    • - Character Stats
    • - Guild Stats
    • - Race Stats
    • - Class Stats
    • - Faction Stats
    • - Alliance Stats (If guild alliancing exists)

All kinds of info to keep and for various reasons

• - How many of x killed? (x can be by name, faction, race, or class)(pc or npc)
    • - How many of x looted? (quest items, armor, weapons, level who looted it, etc)
    • - Damage Dealt to (a faction, a name, a race, a class, etc)
    • - Damage Recieved from (a faction, a name, a race, a class, etc)
    • - How many of x crafted? (name of item, where it was crafted, solo or grouping, etc)
    • - How much currency earned (by name, faction, race, class, etc)
    • - How much sold.....

This list can go on forever.

It is probably all in their database already and just needs queried to be readable in a nice neat format. All data is good. No such thing as bad data.

Update some of it daily, some weekly, other stuff monthly.

Make server competitions out of it, server vs server

Make guild competitions out of it, guild vs guild

Top 100 get something for a context.

Have fun with it

I like to look at everything though. I love the small details in things.

• 1303 posts
    December 29, 2016 9:55 AM PST
    Making statd like that available, let alone deliberatley making a competition out of it can have unintended consequences. People are always stressing the possibility in a open competitive world that kill stealing will be a ptoblem. I think there are ways around that which dont involve encounter locks or instancing. But you would make the solutions less and less effective when you give people a reason to kill something that otherwise provides no benefit to them just to pad their kill stats.
    • 801 posts
    December 29, 2016 10:12 AM PST

Feyshtey said: Making statd like that available, let alone deliberatley making a competition out of it can have unintended consequences. People are always stressing the possibility in a open competitive world that kill stealing will be a ptoblem. I think there are ways around that which dont involve encounter locks or instancing. But you would make the solutions less and less effective when you give people a reason to kill something that otherwise provides no benefit to them just to pad their kill stats.

Yup it did, the one that worked much better for guilds was a teir dragon kill system. When it was killed, and completed. It alllowed people to try and be better then other guilds.

That is fun competition, otherwise it is rather nice to let a company like Magelo parse from the game.

Not so much us.... because if i remember correctly the EQ stats, character pages broke pretty much right after they announced it.

If you remember that?

• 109 posts
    December 29, 2016 10:13 AM PST

Thats a good point, Feyshtey. Cancel that idea = ) That wouldn't be worth it.

• 1618 posts
    December 29, 2016 2:49 PM PST

I love logging and stats, even down to individual levels. But not if it slows anything down noticeably.

• 9115 posts
    December 30, 2016 3:44 AM PST

We have discussed the possibility of something like VG Players which kept track of stats like that for fun but have not decided on what we will do yet, it will be something we discuss again later down the track when it is more appropriate and closer to release. :)

• 151 posts
    December 30, 2016 11:28 AM PST

I think it is pretty obvious that VR will be tracking a vast multitude of statistics for the sake of game design and balancing, how much of that being viewable by the players is a different thing though and it would be a neat thing to see some of these thing I guess but not much more than that.

//Voices of Terminus' Youmu Svartie