Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Expansions??

• 21 posts
    December 27, 2016 12:59 PM PST

Have they announced how they will be rolling out expanctions? 

I think it would be nice to see the expanctions or at lease the intro to the expanction for when you complete the content or raid, The next expanction unlocks for the guild or people who took part in the event.. just an idea thoughts? 

• 1303 posts
    December 27, 2016 1:04 PM PST

Expansions are generally released as the developers complete them, not based on who has finished what content. And you want as many people as possible to buy the expansion, not just those who are done with the last one, because you need the income to finance the development of more expansions. Thats why there's almost always content in an expansion for the lower level players as well as the players who are capped out. 

I dont really have a problem with the notion from a player perspective. But financially I dont see how it's beneficial to the developers in any way. 

• 21 posts
    December 27, 2016 1:07 PM PST

well it would be for everyone to buy of course. but unvailing the expansions is what im talking about. like you defeat the boss in your raid you you get a sneak peak at the new expansion

• 1303 posts
    December 27, 2016 1:13 PM PST

Why would you buy it if you get nothing from it?

• 134 posts
    December 27, 2016 1:16 PM PST

I don't want classic expansions all the time.

I want large expansions as standalone expansions, but I would also be -really- interested in mini-expansions here and there.

By mini expansions I mean stuff like Legacy of Ykesha, Lost Dungeons of Norrath.

Smaller content chunks that add in a couple new zones in an area of the map that wasn't filled in previously that could either be high level content or anywhere else. New dungeons, items, factions, quests and anything else they can come up with.

Maybe a mini expansion adds a new playable race, complete with starter zone that fits perfectly. Maybe theres a small island off the coast that is home to this race of whatevers.

I dunno - I like all sorts of new content and I'm not shy about paying for it as long as it is properly priced.

Full expansions : 40-60$

Mini expansion - 15-20$

• 610 posts
    December 27, 2016 1:35 PM PST

Dhampir said:

I don't want classic expansions all the time.

I want large expansions as standalone expansions, but I would also be -really- interested in mini-expansions here and there.

By mini expansions I mean stuff like Legacy of Ykesha, Lost Dungeons of Norrath.

Smaller content chunks that add in a couple new zones in an area of the map that wasn't filled in previously that could either be high level content or anywhere else. New dungeons, items, factions, quests and anything else they can come up with.

Maybe a mini expansion adds a new playable race, complete with starter zone that fits perfectly. Maybe theres a small island off the coast that is home to this race of whatevers.

I dunno - I like all sorts of new content and I'm not shy about paying for it as long as it is properly priced.

Full expansions : 40-60$

Mini expansion - 15-20$

EQ2 did this..they were called "adventure packs" such as the Fallen Dynasty pack. Didnt go over very well IIRC

• 21 posts
    December 27, 2016 1:40 PM PST

Feyshtey said:

??? im talking about beating rise of the fallen and when the first guild beats it it unlocks the preview to a new expansion. allowing everyone to buy it. not sure your getting where im coming from with it. not traditional at all  almots like a cut scean when you beat a boss.

• 556 posts
    December 27, 2016 2:15 PM PST

Problem with this is that there is no way to really do it. Without artifically gating the content, people would blow through it in at most 2 months. More than likely looking at 1 month. So if this was to happen, they would have to churn out more like 5-6 expansions a year and gate them to slow some down. The average person would never keep up with the amount of content and by the time they got halfway through there would be a ton more dropped. 

An expansion a year is my ideal pace. Gives people the time to consume the current content without feeling pressured. The ones who rush through it generally end up going back to explore and farm everything else they passed along the way as well as level alts anyway.

• 211 posts
    December 27, 2016 2:20 PM PST

Rousie said:

Have they announced how they will be rolling out expanctions? 

I think it would be nice to see the expanctions or at lease the intro to the expanction for when you complete the content or raid, The next expanction unlocks for the guild or people who took part in the event.. just an idea thoughts? 

I don't know, for a game where raiding is not the primary focus, this doesn't sound like it would fit with what Pantheon is trying to be. Also, there will certainly be players who have no intention of raiding, so if a next expansion unlocks for the guild or people who took part in the event... some people will never be able to access the next expansion! And then some servers will be on the next expansion and some won't...not sure the devs would want to deal with that.

As for just the intro to the next expansion. I'm hoping there's not any cutscenes in this game at all really, unless it's just in those possible instanced solo-quests they're considering.

• 610 posts
    December 27, 2016 3:35 PM PST

Rousie said:

Feyshtey said:

??? im talking about beating rise of the fallen and when the first guild beats it it unlocks the preview to a new expansion. allowing everyone to buy it. not sure your getting where im coming from with it. not traditional at all  almots like a cut scean when you beat a boss.

To me, its that thought (emphasis) that is ruining MMOs. There is no "beating" it. Havent even launched the game and already people are asking for xpac info LMAO

• 1303 posts
    December 27, 2016 3:35 PM PST

Rousie said:

Feyshtey said:

So the developers have to spend the money and time to create a whole expansion, and then sit on it till a guild beats the last expansion? Then and only then do they release the expansion so everyone can pay for it? Again, how does this benefit the developer? They have to wait to get more income from selling expansions till someone beats the last one? 

This is of course immaterial, since it's almost universally true that guilds on every server shard will have already beaten the last expansion before the developer is even able to complete a new one. 

For the idea of showing just a cutscene, it assumes that when one expansion is completed the developer has actually solidified what the next expansion is going to be. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at December 27, 2016 3:37 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    December 27, 2016 4:24 PM PST

For anyone that has actually raided, one kill of the top raid boss is not enough. You have to Farm the hell out of it to get all the benefits for the whole guild. It takes time.

Expansions should be planned for regular times, not based on a few guilds achievevents.

Why should I care if another guild has accomplished something? Great for them, but the game doesn't stop their. I still try to work towards it.

• 284 posts
    December 27, 2016 5:18 PM PST
    It seems pretty clear that there is a divide in how people understand mmo expansions in this thread. To those of you who are newer to the genre, please understand that groups generally raid multiple expansions worth of content at the same time in older model mmos. The idea of beating the Lich King and suddenly that's the end of the expansion is antithetical to what type of mmo this is.

Just remember that when discussing expansions. In this game, an expansion is quite literally what is happening: the amount of current content is expanded. Older content is obsoleted but not on a cycle that is as clear as the drop of new content. If we can keep that in mind, the idea of "beating the game" is no longer a concept that makes sense.