Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Best Source For Vanguard Information?

• 780 posts
    December 24, 2016 7:34 PM PST

I find myself reading over and over (often from Developers/Moderators) that PRF, or at least many aspects of it, will likely resemble a mix of early EverQuest and Vanguard with some new twists thrown in.  I know early EverQuest well, but I never played Vanguard.  I've been trying to read up on it, but the wikia seems to be incomplete and the other links I've followed have been broken or have field to yield any useful information.  Can someone point me toward a better source?  I'm particularly interested in spells/abilities.  The wikia seems to list them all, but many are without descriptions or specifics, especially the higher versions of other spells.  I get it.  It's a more powerful version of a lower level ability.  I still want to know how powerful it became.  Thanks in advance for any help.

• 578 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:06 PM PST

Unfortunately, there really isn't a whole lot of information on the web these days that cover Vanguard. You might be able to scrounge up bits and pieces but I assure you you will wind up with a headache in doing so. What I can help with is the Vanguard Emulator website. They have a client download so that you can dl the game yourself and give it a try. They are still working dilligently on it so it is obviously not in a finished state but I figure there will be no better source of info than either their website or from playing what they have up on their servers. I would suggest downloading the game and just running around a bit and checking some things out, they do have quite a bit completed.

client download http://vgoplayers.com/playvg/index.htm

developers website (open to public, not just devs) http://vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/index.php

VG's community website http://vgoplayers.com/community/

some of the bards abilities are found at the end of this page... http://vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/Song_Composition_Guide

all of their progress so far for their classes... http://vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=65

Hope some, any, or all of this helps. Once they have this game fully up and running it will be a beautiful thing. Will be great to play this from the beginning while we wait for Pantheon to releaes.

• 780 posts
    December 24, 2016 11:28 PM PST

Very helpful, thank you.  Just wish the trainers would let me see the spells all the way up instead of just the lower ones.

• 578 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:43 PM PST

Not sure what they have finished but I know that the starting area trainers only have the first 10 levels of spells. So you would have to travel to a town futher out to possibly see a trainer with the remaining spells. But I also don't know if the devs have all of the spells either so they might not all be in there. They don't have a lot to work with so some of the stuff they may have to create from the top of their heads.

• 780 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:30 PM PST

I was able to level a couple of characters a little, and that lets me see higher level spells on the same trainer.  Not sure how much higher I'll be able to level, though.

EDIT: Well, I actually started paying attention and there are test commands that let you set yourself to max level so you can look at all the spells.  Most of the higher ones don't work yet (unless they are just higher ranks of spells you get early), but at least you can look at all of the details for all of the spells for any class instantly if you want to do that.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at December 27, 2016 10:24 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    January 2, 2017 1:49 AM PST

To obtain some amount of information you just have had to experience the games. I started EQ in 2000, shortly after Kunark came out. I then joined the Sigil Games forums before Vanguard was announced and was part of that community for a few years. I didn't play Vanguard much after beta because of how poor it played, and how it was too WoW like for me. I did go back to check it out and realized that the game played significantly better if you had a SSD but didn't stick around because the game was closing down.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at January 2, 2017 1:50 AM PST
    • 170 posts
    January 28, 2017 8:29 AM PST

I downloaded VGOE and started to play it again (thanks to Xinux ) and it's a reminder of how progressing slowly (not as slow as EQ1) can be fun and entertaining. I personally started to remember things and remember how fun this game was and how great it was going to be. Except they forced it out the door so many players left early and that stunk.

All my old EQ guild was split between WoW and EQ2 so my wife and I joined a new one in Vanguard. And they ALL left for a new MMO (I forget which) because they felt it was too difficult. Lame! This left my wife and I searching for friends to play with and after several failed months with little progression we retired it to return someday.

That is the main reason as much as I want to play Pantheon and as bored as I am waiting on it. I will not bug VR or Brad to hurry. I want it but I want people to stay and I know with a dozen games a year (I didn't say good ones) if it doesn't hold attention people will leave. NO! I will wait until the game is ready so that this community can enjoy it for years. I'm 46 if it can keep me a decade I will almost be 60 and ready for their next newest creation to play in retirement.

So, Brad you and the team at Visionary Realms take the time you need to get it done. When personal things allow (I have a 20yr old money sucker son) I will continue to try and donate by upgrading mine and my wife's pledges.

I will continue to tell people about the game. and I will partake in stream watching, forum chats, Facebook and Twitter polls and questions regarding development.I am not a groupie I just experienced something with EverQuest and made lifelong friends that I still talk to and I miss that. Games today have become sprint to the end and raid raid raid games and I prefer the journey. The many different ways I can alts, crafting, exploring, collecting and camping rares. 

Thanks, you'll hear from me when I have something to contribute or when I am answering a poll or development question. Great community here Guys and Gals I can't wait to see you in game. Guild up or group with you, raid with you or buy/sell from you. Hopelly see you soon but only if it's ready.

• 138 posts
    January 28, 2017 1:24 PM PST

I would recommend giving it a try as well... :D ..... 

• 578 posts
    March 13, 2017 11:50 AM PDT

I wonder if there are enough classes fleshed out with spells/abilities that we could get a small group, or maybe even a full group, and go romp around VG. I'm pretty sure there are a few classes that have a good amount of work done considering their abilities and I'm pretty sure there are a good amount of quests fleshed out scattered across the land. If there is enough content for us to put something together, maybe Xinux or someone can help clarify how far we could go with this atm, we could possibly test out a lot of their content and equally as important test out a lot of their group mechanics. And possibly have a fun time while we do this.

If anybody is interested in checking this out chime in on here. When I get home from work I will map out what classes have a good portion of their abilities completed. Hopefully I'm not way off base here. It's possible none of the abilities actually work, and that they are just written in the game as starting code and are waiting on animations or something? I don't know. But on the dev website they have a page for each class and what spells are completed and some have a good amount that say they are completed...whatever that may mean.

• 780 posts
    March 14, 2017 4:08 AM PDT

Rumor and a few others grouped up on the emulator last week and it did not sound like it went very well.  There seemed to be quite a bit of crashing.  I logged in for a bit myself to mess with Diplomacy that night.  I didn't really do anything else, but I noticed that a lot of the buffs are still broken.  I'm guessing a lot of other abilities are still broken also.

• 47 posts
    March 23, 2017 8:53 AM PDT

Smedley ... /snarl

Didn't know there was an emulator ...

• 82 posts
    March 24, 2017 9:00 PM PDT

I adjusted how loading is being done so the crashing while moving between chunks should be minimal now. We are doing a pretty big push on making IOD our proof of concept and a few people are working on nothing but abiltiies right now and a few working on quests and spawn cleanup and quest rewards. 

• 72 posts
    April 16, 2017 3:14 PM PDT

I recently joined on my Vulmane Shaman.  It was a breath of fresh air to run through the cascades of beautifully rendered grass again.  I have to say, if there's one aspect of the details from that game that's still unmatched in today's graphics,  it's that free flowing velvety carpet of grass throughout Vangard.

Also, I love how when I place in a Bug report in Vanguard EMU, the bug is usually fixed within a few hours or less. 

I still remember the Everquest II Kunark Expansion, and the introduction to powerful legendary weapons.  There was one mythic quest for the Ranger's Bow where I had to go back to the clockwork gnome dungeon and kill some kind of mechanized Lv 50 boss which had a shield mechanic which was bugged and would not go away.   I kept sending in bug reports and pleading with the devs to just give me credit for the kill, since as a lv 80, I could easily one shot this thing.   It took roughly 1-2 months for them to fix this bug, and I was left way behind on raiding progression.  

I ended up just leveling a Sarnak Shadowknight which I performed the faction quests to then turn him into a Paladin.  Everyone said I had gone to the dark side, but hey! I was a fire breathing Dragon Paladin.  Nothing sweeter than that :3.  

• 4 posts
    April 18, 2017 9:40 AM PDT

I just got this started up, looks like I am the only one on? LOL

• 542 posts
    April 18, 2017 10:54 AM PDT

Ive been playing a bit thanks to the info @NoobieDoo provided.Never played Vanguard before this.

Noticed 1 other player ,must have been Becoda lol. 

While the animations of the character feels stiff and the world very static.I've actually enjoyed my first hours in Vanguard. Yesterday I had no abilities and kept dying on the first mob encounters as auto attack was the only thing I got.Today I suddenly had some basic abilities.For a classic quest hub MMO it seems well made. Most likely I won't get addicted to it anymore ,but I might play it once in a while in order to learn more about what people have come to love about it.

This post was edited by Fluffy at April 18, 2017 10:55 AM PDT
    • 82 posts
    April 19, 2017 4:57 PM PDT

I love how when I place in a Bug report in Vanguard EMU, the bug is usually fixed within a few hours or less. 

We try and fix the bug's people report as quick as we can. :)

Yesterday I had no abilities and kept dying on the first mob encounters as auto attack was the only thing I got.

Odd something must have happened when your character was loading in i'll add some checks in to see if I can catch it but this is the first 

time i've heard of this happening in a very long time.

This post was edited by Xinux at April 19, 2017 4:59 PM PDT
    • 542 posts
    April 20, 2017 8:41 AM PDT

The first time i logged on the game window was not responding several times ,yet it didn't crash.Might have been the resolution though.I changed that and it works perfectly now.

The ablity list was blank and as far as I can remember so were all the icons missing at the lower-right section of the ability bar.(now they are all there)

Also there is an issue at camp Aelinar,location bladesinger Soalas ; the underwater breath bar appears and you can drown on land

This post was edited by Fluffy at April 20, 2017 8:41 AM PDT
    • 82 posts
    April 20, 2017 9:08 AM PDT

Yea the breath bar appearing while on land happens in a few places we are still working on parsing the world geometry.

• 542 posts
    April 20, 2017 9:26 AM PDT

thanks, I'm grateful that I can experience the game so many seem to love here. It has something to it,even when its the same old questhub we are used to. My character is a sorcerer named Fernwyn. Will probably be playing a few hours once in a while.

• 4 posts
    April 20, 2017 6:26 PM PDT

I am having a lot fun running around and playing. I wish there was more people on playing. :)

• 56 posts
    May 6, 2017 6:14 AM PDT

I really enjoyed Vanguard a lot. The reason was the ability to craft almost anything. Enjoyed designing houses and boats. The diplomacy system was unique.