Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Is It Bad To Play Everquest P99 Servers?

• 30 posts
    December 24, 2016 8:31 AM PST

What are your opinions of people who play Everquest 1999 servers.   Are they damaging to the original live game?   Should players drop supporting these servers and return to the proper game?

This post was edited by rencil at December 24, 2016 8:32 AM PST
    • 563 posts
    December 24, 2016 8:53 AM PST

There are a ton of people here who play on P99 :) Just like with vanilla wow servers how is it hurting the Official game if what their emulating is a different game? Many people hate what its become and want what it was (and as such would never play/pay the official servers anyways). :)

Edit: Welcome to the community Rencil :)

This post was edited by Rachael at December 24, 2016 8:54 AM PST
    • 633 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:07 AM PST

Welcome Rencil.  I don't know how much it hurts the live servers, but I do know that p99 has an agreement with Daybreak Games.  You can read about it here.

• 188 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:21 AM PST

The proper game doesn't exist any longer.  It's 17 years worth of content stacked on top of a base game that is no longer recognizable.  I don't think the games are competing for the same userbase, because people who play P99 generally aren't looking for the type of experience that EQLive now offers.  Each game has positives and drawbacks within the communities that play, but they aren't comparable other than the setting, really.  

P99 exists because SOE/Daybreak alienated a lot of players along the way.

• 780 posts
    December 24, 2016 11:59 AM PST

Welcome Rencil.  As the others have said, it's a completely different game.  I guess you technically still have to buy EQ Titanium to play P1999, anyway, and the live game is technically free to play, no?  I guess it makes sense that P1999 could cost them players who would otherwise subscribe and play the TLPs now, but even TLP and P1999 are quite different.

• 3 posts
    December 24, 2016 12:00 PM PST

People play on P99 because they want to return to the game as it was when they fell in love with it - Live has little to do with that game. There are a TON of new people coming onto P99 (I just created a new cadet guild for my raiding guild and we've gained over 100 members already, a lot of them new to P99) and I think they are really well positioned as Pantheon customers. I know my guild is already prepping to establish a sizable presence on Pantheon when it rolls out as well. Does this hurt Live? Don't care. Does it help Pantheon? Lots. And thats what matters now, something to move forward with versus trying to recapture the classic experience on Live.

Regards,
      Mgellan

• 780 posts
    December 24, 2016 12:04 PM PST

Welcome to the boards, Mgellan.  Great point.  I don't care if it hurts their live game either.  Haha.

• 3 posts
    December 24, 2016 12:12 PM PST

I guess if I had to clearly answer the question I'd say I don't think P99 is hurting Live (people go back and forth, and losses from Live to P99 are probably preventing people from leaving the EQ fold altogether) but I suspect Pantheon really taking off will be the final nail in the EQ Live coffin!

Thanks for the welcome, I've ponied up my cash and looking forward to supporting the **** out of this game up to launch and beyond :)

Regards,  
      Mg

• 1618 posts
    December 24, 2016 1:27 PM PST

Daybreak has authorized the servers, so no laws broke. Therefore, play the it if you enjoy it.

• 144 posts
    December 24, 2016 4:39 PM PST

I would say that considering Daybreak is okay with it, no. (Edited cause I was overtired and misread this a bit)

This post was edited by Portalgun at December 24, 2016 4:45 PM PST
    • 30 posts
    December 24, 2016 5:53 PM PST

Thanks for the welcoming messages.   I just hardly see anyone in official EQ1 anymore, yet P99 is thriving.  People do want to achieve amongst their peers, but when there is no one to compare or relish with, then it's kind of pointless playing but for your own exploration.  It seems wrong that P99 has high server numbers yet Daybreak is struggling.  If they go under there's a chance they wont on-sell the IP/server-sets.   Possibly they could sell it to someone that shelves the project killing the full game.

I agree people are playing P99 for the nostalgia and without the nerfs.  Daybreak Games should be making changes to bring back the older style of play, like removing the Plains of Knowledge book portals to force people to travel more.  They need to modernise the artwork and player models with heavy relevance to the old game style.

This post was edited by rencil at December 25, 2016 3:10 AM PST
    • 1618 posts
    December 24, 2016 6:07 PM PST

rencil said:

Thanks for the welcoming messages.   I just hardly see anyone in official EQ1 anymore, yet P99 is thriving.  People do want to achieve amongst their peers, but when there is no one to compare or relish with, then it's kind of pointless playing but for your own exploration.  It seems wrong that P99 has high server numbers yet Daybreak is struggling.  If they go under there's a chance they wont on-sell the IP/server-sets.   Possibly they could sell it to someone that shelves the project killing the full game.

I agree people are playing P99 for the nostalgia and without the nerfs.  Daybreak Games should be making changes to bring back the older style of play, like removing the Plains of Knowledge book portals to force people to travel more.  They need to modernise the artwork and player models with heavy for relevance to the old game style.

Daybreak has no interest in anything other than sucking cash out.

But, who cares? We will have Pantheon soon and they can all come here. 

• 1434 posts
    December 26, 2016 4:27 AM PST

I wouldn't exactly say p99 is thriving. They have one semi-populated server that usually has around half the numbers of a server back during that time period. A time period where there were 40 servers.

P99 is definitely the place to go if you want something closer to classic, but even it is no longer representative of EQ during that era. Too much mudflation and twinks. Trying to find a legit group without twinks and people powerleveling is pretty much impossible. They need new servers asap.

This post was edited by Dullahan at December 26, 2016 4:30 AM PST
    • 1303 posts
    December 27, 2016 1:22 PM PST

Think Hannar hit the nail on the head. P99 and modern EQ are two entirely different games at this point. One is not a replacement for the other. Some people like old EQ, some new. They are conflicting philosophies. 

That being said, P99 is a recognized and sanctioned emulator. If Sony (and now Daybreak) felt that it was somehow a threat, they wouldnt sanction it. 

• 2886 posts
    January 1, 2017 2:38 AM PST

Hannar said:

The proper game doesn't exist any longer.  It's 17 years worth of content stacked on top of a base game that is no longer recognizable.  I don't think the games are competing for the same userbase, because people who play P99 generally aren't looking for the type of experience that EQLive now offers.  Each game has positives and drawbacks within the communities that play, but they aren't comparable other than the setting, really.  

P99 exists because SOE/Daybreak alienated a lot of players along the way.

This.

• 1281 posts
    January 2, 2017 1:44 AM PST

I don't think me playing on P99 hurts the Live game because I quit in 2008, 5 years before I even knew P99 existed. I will never play Live again, though I've kept the possibility of logging in with free account to check out my characters as an option.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at January 2, 2017 1:44 AM PST
    • 30 posts
    January 2, 2017 3:48 AM PST

Lets give credit to the expansions.  Some are fantastic like "The Buried Sea" which I'm jsut starting to explore.

• 31 posts
    January 13, 2017 10:04 PM PST

After p99 went live with the Velious expansion, it's user base grew considerably. I logged in to the Velious server, about an hour ago, and there were over 1000 players online. I spotted a few members from Fires of Heaven in EC and buffed breeze with my 18 enchanter. Seems P99 is thriving to me....I only wish I could play my ranger at max level and go adventuring to my hearts content, actually, Ima log back in now that I think about it...check out unrest maybe. My chanters name is Samulejackson (hellz ya he's erudite mothaf***er)...if you login p99 send me a tell, or come party....you know you want to.

This post was edited by SyriusNorthstar at January 13, 2017 10:22 PM PST
    • 30 posts
    January 13, 2017 10:26 PM PST

SyriusNorthstar said:After p99 went live with the Velious expansion, it's user base grew considerably. I logged in to the Velious server, about an hour ago, and there were over 1000 players online. I spotted a few members from Fires of Heaven in EC and buffed breeze with my 18 enchanter. Seems P99 is thriving to me....I only wish I could play my ranger at max level and go adventuring to my hearts content, actually, Ima log back in now that I think about it...check out unrest maybe. My chanters name is Samulejackson (yeah erudite mk)...if you login p99 send me a tell, say hello.

It's a pity for Live as so many managers just don't get what made EQ great.  Daybreak Games and John Smedley simply targeted the I-want-it-all-crowd as they game is simply too accomidating to fast travel, and low risk.  It also is gear for collectibles to show pony your character.  Yep it's good to have unique items and suits, but they should be great achivements to get them.  In EQ live it's like going to a cos-pllay convention with so much wiz bang effects and specialities on characters.  The sales of loot has more or less been destroyed by the quality of gear that drops off common mobs.  All the old boss loot are trash.  There is still time for EQ Live to be fixed but if Patheon is well worked out then it will be a new era.

• 160 posts
    January 16, 2017 1:10 AM PST

rencil said:

It's a pity for Live as so many managers just don't get what made EQ great.  Daybreak Games and John Smedley simply targeted the I-want-it-all-crowd as they game is simply too accomidating to fast travel, and low risk.  It also is gear for collectibles to show pony your character.  Yep it's good to have unique items and suits, but they should be great achivements to get them.  In EQ live it's like going to a cos-pllay convention with so much wiz bang effects and specialities on characters.  The sales of loot has more or less been destroyed by the quality of gear that drops off common mobs.  All the old boss loot are trash.  There is still time for EQ Live to be fixed but if Patheon is well worked out then it will be a new era.

AMEN to that.  I played EQ from 1999 til 2007.  I know it's easier to add new content without mucking every thing up earlier in a franchise, but seriously...Ruins of Kunark was just about the best expansion ever.  And Velious was just amazing, with the different factions being so key to everything.  Even Planes of Power was pretty well done, though I do recognize it was in that expansion that the seeds of disaster were sown.  I stayed with it up until Darkhollow I believe (which was sort of refreshing in its relative simplicity compared to the previous 2-3 expansions, one of which was the godly awful Gates of Discord)...and just reached my breaking point.

I haven't played an MMO since, except for a couple of months of WoW in 2015...and all it did was make me miss classic EQ all the more.

That's why I'm chomping at the bit for Pantheon...the promises of hints of old EQ play have me crazy with anticipation.