Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

External chat system, internal idea

• 801 posts
    December 24, 2016 7:08 AM PST

I wanted to search to bring up an idea i have that would really work well inside games of the future.

We know Discord is Meh ok, but it works well for many reasons.

Search on topic = 1 hit found Out-of-game chat

You do not have permissions to view this topic..... I think ill startup a kickstarter page soon, so i can afford more things. J/king

Discord, we know it has announcements, voice chat, text chat, and different channels, and commands to allow people to become officers etc.. and make groups.

You can expand this inside a game like Pantheon, or other games.

If you have a system with multi guilds, a chat system like discord works wonders. If you use it for your own single guild it works wonders +1 and why i mention this is because,

it is like an in game database, that players can catchup on past raids, events etc... without going to 10 different websites.

When will discord allow an external API to allow devs to embed this into games? I am not speaking of TS, Discord, or any other chat system as "Who is best" but the whole structure.

Discord has many good features that MMO's could adapt into the whole API chat system. It would also be very useful to game development within the game.

Note:

then there is the whole, How much bandwidth does this take away?? well that is unknown, and can it be client - external only and not internal.

Here is an overlay

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/217659737-Games-Overlay-101

What really do you think of this?

I am saying that could the game embed this into the text chat boxes, the voice comms, and allow the user to flip pages within the game to handle other features.

So here i am sitting behind my computer as a client, I open up Pantheon and all my Discord style windows open up in my custom UI i laid out. the UI is embeded with group chat windows i can expand, the users online but not playing (Like steam) i can chat to, or send msg's too. i can go into a group and start voice chatting with others, text chatting in that room, or expand my windows and look for announcements from the guild.

P.s i have not looked deep into this, with discord, it only came to mind, that it would be rather nice to have these features.

This post was edited by Crazzie at December 24, 2016 7:14 AM PST
    • 1618 posts
    December 24, 2016 2:22 PM PST

The game will already of built in voice, stated on the last stream.