Forums » Pantheon Classes

Wizard/Druid sinks

• 154 posts
    December 22, 2016 10:19 AM PST

So I'm sure everyone remembers classes like clerics using peridots and other reagents Mage and using their own malachite/lapis lazuli etc. I think that wizard and Druid ports should cost a reagent. Not only is it a platinum sink but then it makes their ports even more precious as it's not only mana.

What are your thoughts?

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at December 22, 2016 3:55 PM PST
    • 633 posts
    December 22, 2016 11:09 AM PST

I sort of like this idea.  Perhaps some common locations (say if a wizard can port to a city) could be free to cast, but some rarer locations (out in the wilderness where people are more likely to go for adventuring) could have a reagent cost.

As an example from EQ1, a wizard porting to the commonlands might be free (since it is near Freeport), but porting to Cazic Thule or West Karana could cost a reagent.

• 3016 posts
    December 22, 2016 12:27 PM PST

Then wizards and druids would be OBLIGED to charge something...personally I always commented that it was on a donation basis..give something, whatever ...some gave a plat, some gave more, it varied, and I was good with that.      I did use peridots for a nuke or two back in the  day and they were ten plat each.   Expensive.    I do remember if gems..like peridots or others that clerics could use, dropped during the team hunt, that we (at least our groups did) donated those gems to the clerics, because their buffs were expensive to cast.    That means if you are a porter...you would have to have the money up front to AFFORD these gems.    Therefore each cast of those ports would cost at least ten plat ...not everyone would want to do that.    I think this needs to be rethought...maybe a catseye..instead for casting ..not a peridot.   Your passenger's "good will" varies as many times as each person is unique.   I used to rescue newbies dumped off near Karnors...translocate them back to bind spot..out of my own good will, no charge.   Let's think about community....first.  And let's not encourage RMT...don't have the ingame money...go to a plat seller and buy for real money...again,  let's not encourage that kind of thinking...it ruins the game economy.  And on a group hunt...many times it required an evac,  no charge.    And I am NOT gonna charge my friends for ports...sorry.

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at December 22, 2016 12:29 PM PST
    • 15 posts
    December 22, 2016 12:44 PM PST

What about in addition to a regeant required to teleporting to a rare location it also required a 'binding item' on the party member wishing the teleport or maybe a requirement of acclimation if it is in a deadly area.

• 3016 posts
    December 22, 2016 12:52 PM PST

I don't understand why the ports have to be made complicated.   That means a newcomer to the game doesn't have any of those things..."binding item" etc.   Don't fix what ain't broke.   I intend on helping newbies where I can,  that keeps them wanting to play and learn the game.   Let's not put obstacles in their way to do so.

• 15 posts
    December 22, 2016 12:58 PM PST

Oh I wasn't refering to the starting areas but a teleport area near a raid dungeon underground in a lava cave? Surely some effort could be required. I keep thinking back to EQ Velious in that you required fangs to be teleported to the location which meant you had to have gone there once on foot, you also needed faction to teleport to some of them safely as a dragon might eat your face.

• 154 posts
    December 22, 2016 1:47 PM PST
    Because a port is so much more intensive than giving someone a little bit more hp, it makes sense that these would be highly desired and sought after. Only costing mana is too simple for something so grand as traveling across a world where exploration is king.
    • 3016 posts
    December 22, 2016 2:13 PM PST

Taledar said: Because a port is so much more intensive than giving someone a little bit more hp, it makes sense that these would be highly desired and sought after. Only costing mana is too simple for something so grand as traveling across a world where exploration is king.

There were special reagents required for areas like the Plane of Sky ..and others like that.  I'd prefer that my ports weren't priced out of reach..for me and or my passengers. :P

• 70 posts
    December 22, 2016 3:58 PM PST

EQ1 didn't have a reagent for all ports, just a few special ones like Planes.

EQ1 had a great balance of travel ease and the wonder of a huge world, not because ports were free but because the game was HARD. Hard games make things seem larger than life.

I prefer not to go down the road of charging reagents to complicate useful travel-related conveniences that benefit group formation and cohesion, otherwise we'll be adding reagents to SoW and bard speed while we're at it. Anything that helps honest, sociable folks to organize and colocate their groups to actually play the game should be kept streamlined insofar as access to them, with the usual caveats about having to visit places once on foot, etc.

• 68 posts
    January 2, 2017 10:54 PM PST

redgiant said:

EQ1 had a great balance of travel ease and the wonder of a huge world, not because ports were free but because the game was HARD. Hard games make things seem larger than life.

I tend to agree to keep thing's harder as it seems larger than life.  I also agree with classes such as wizards that the ability to teleport long distances to special locations should be a key benefit. Maybe tie the mechanics into materials required.  Maybe for farther travels the more unique the items required to cast the spell.

J

• 780 posts
    January 3, 2017 1:20 AM PST

I'm a big fan of reagents.  They don't necessarily have to be expensive, but I like the idea of having to carry them and pay attention to your supplies.

• 2886 posts
    January 3, 2017 8:00 AM PST

I have mixed feelings about reagants. I usually find them annoying but I suppose it is an important gold sink. I think as long as only certain powerful spells require them and there is a good way to store them so they don't detract from the rest of your inventory, it can be a good thing.

• 780 posts
    January 3, 2017 12:09 PM PST

They should allow reagents to be stackable to a much higher number than other items, maybe.  Gems are generally quite small, and why couldn't I carry a thousand fish scales easily in a tiny pouch?

• 1618 posts
    January 4, 2017 10:42 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

They should allow reagents to be stackable to a much higher number than other items, maybe.  Gems are generally quite small, and why couldn't I carry a thousand fish scales easily in a tiny pouch?

Have to agree. Same with quest items, various tokens, etc.

I hate these items filling my inventory.  A separate tab would be nice.

• 2886 posts
    January 4, 2017 10:58 AM PST

Beefcake said:

Shucklighter said:

Have to agree. Same with quest items, various tokens, etc.

I hate these items filling my inventory.  A separate tab would be nice.

There should definitely be a reagent bag that can only hold spell components, but does so very efficiently and keeps them separate from the rest of your items for easy access.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 4, 2017 10:58 AM PST
    • 1778 posts
    January 5, 2017 12:35 PM PST

Best Druid/Wizard sink:

Pitfalls (drum roll) >.>

• 1618 posts
    January 5, 2017 3:25 PM PST

Bridges... They are the most underconned mobs.

• 3016 posts
    January 7, 2017 1:19 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

Agreed stackable..and like the pouch idea.

• 316 posts
    January 8, 2017 10:54 PM PST
    Totally agree with redgiant. No need to add a stress to teleporting - not everything needs to demand a price. Wonderful for the social aspect to, more willing to transport lower level chars. Aradune has said we may need to travel to locs first anyway to be eligible to port there, so not much of a worry about the justice of low levels being able to travel by port. The ability is awesome and magical, and it was a great feeling as a Wizard to know you could port wherever whenever. Really added to the sense of power a Wizard should have. Reagents would definitely mitigate that. Keep reagents for high level nukes and special locs, but keep the free, powerful teleporting that so helped to define the feeling of the class.
    • 316 posts
    January 8, 2017 10:58 PM PST
    Uch - I meant "too" in my third sentence and "that so influenced the feeling" in my last sentence. Can't edit, on a phone, plz forgive me for so wanting to fix those two things.
    • 38 posts
    January 10, 2017 11:34 AM PST

I think it would be interesting if rare ports (port that are not general port sites) required reagents that are harvestable/lootable from that area. So when wanting to port to specific locations not on general port sites (ie druid rings, wizard spires, etc) one needs to be concious of carrying a proper medium for that site. A negative to this would probably be inventory and bank space for this sort of thing.

-W

• 780 posts
    January 10, 2017 11:57 AM PST

Witter said:

I think it would be interesting if rare ports (port that are not general port sites) required reagents that are harvestable/lootable from that area. So when wanting to port to specific locations not on general port sites (ie druid rings, wizard spires, etc) one needs to be concious of carrying a proper medium for that site. A negative to this would probably be inventory and bank space for this sort of thing.

-W

I like this idea a lot.  You could have the reagents be parts of plants or animals in the area.  Just have to make sure to grab a few every time you go there, or maybe you spend some time stocking up.  Let them be small and stack to large numbers.  Those who aren't able to teleport, but like to be prepared, would probably have small stacks of the reagents required to teleport to their favorite places.  I remember on my paladin in EverQuest, I carried bone chips, bat wings, fish scales, coffins, peridots, etc, when I couldn't even cast those spells.  I just love reagents in these games.

• 97 posts
    January 12, 2017 11:38 AM PST

I think that a fair balance, that ports to 1 or 2 prime locations per continent would be lowever level, no reagents, simple to acquire and cast. And ports into more specific aread may require attuning to that zone first and/or particular reagents to overcome, for example, atmospheric conditions that may prevent you from sending someone to that location otherwise. Or what about flip the script, and each person who is BEING teleported to an area must have a reagent on them (everyone must have one if it's a group port, or just the individual if it's a translocate).

• 7 posts
    May 23, 2019 8:35 AM PDT

Has the issue with reagents been decided?

I loved the idea of being able to port people around as well as to disappear at a moments notice.  You are a wizard.  You should be that powerful.  I like the idea of definitely being able to port to common areas for free.  Seems like that's not so much of a big deal.  I think it would be awesome to have the ability to port to other locations as well such as the beginning of a dungeon.  That should probably cost reagents.  Perhaps only reagents that you can get in that particular dungeon. 

I also really like the idea of having a junk drawer for inventory.  Mine always gets filled up with things I can't take out of inventory or absolutly must carry.  Would be nice if we had them organized elsewhere so that it doesn't take up space.

• 9 posts
    May 23, 2019 9:00 AM PDT

I like the idea.  I would like to add in the quality of port based on the quality of item used.  If it was used with something common you have a 20% chance of appearing in the air taking fall damage, or off in the distance away from the spires/runes (potentially next to angry NPCs).  

Casting the port with no reagent causes drastically unknown results.  You may end up porting, but dead.