Forums » The Wizard

Wizards Familiar

• 3046 posts
    August 13, 2017 10:33 PM PDT

I would like a pet that stays with me...the sword pet wizzies had in EQ would only live as long as there was an enemy to fight,  then it would poof.   And again would prefer a miniature dragon familiar.   Something that gives a buff.  :)

• 4 posts
    May 15, 2018 5:48 PM PDT

Did not read through the entire thread so I apologize if this was mentioned...

In another game, a particular class could cast a spell and try to tame various beasts to be their pet. Maybe the wizard could have a similar type of spell to try and pick his or her familiar of choice...

?

• 110 posts
    May 15, 2018 6:37 PM PDT

Gutted said:

In another game, a particular class could cast a spell and try to tame various beasts to be their pet. Maybe the wizard could have a similar type of spell to try and pick his or her familiar of choice...

?

Enchanters get charm. Charm does exactly what you are describing.

Wizard familiars are little pets that (usually) can't attack and (in most games) cannot be damaged which provides a buff to the wizard for as long as it is alive. If it dies or is unsummoned the wizard loses the buff. Summoning a familiar usually has a long cast time, a heavy cost, or can only be done in certain situations. Letting the familiar die can also sometimes come with harsh penalities such as losing a percentage of health and mana.

• 154 posts
    May 16, 2018 9:56 AM PDT

To me Familiars have been so underutilized in most other games; I’m hoping for a new approach that can/will bring forth new opportunities for Wizards or other Casters to utilize Familiars. A few ideas posted here are interesting and I hope to add to this discussion with my own:

Familiars should be captured in the wild of Terminus and trained to become Wizard Familiars. I’m thinking something similar to WOW’s Hunter class where they have to capture pets to utilize them.

Familiars should come in many different types such as common, rare, unique, and Epic.

Familiars should come in a variety of sizes & types and produce different benefits when utilized, as an example if I capture a Snow Weasel it should provide the benefit of increasing my cold spells or increasing my resistance to cold environments, or If I capture Fire Toad it should provide the benefit of increasing my fire spells or increasing my resistance to fire environments. Etc… Unique Familiars can offer benefits to the whole group…etc…

Expendable Familiars can be summoned by the Summoner Class and they can be more powerful than most rare familiars but die after a set amount of time (30 mins..Etc…) and are no rent.

Familiars could offer some form of utility skill such as Taunt, Fear, Stun…etc… but can only be used once per hour or so…

Familiars for the other caster classes…

I have always loved the idea of Familiars but its time to change them up a bit and make them really worth having around.

Rint

This post was edited by Rint at May 16, 2018 10:55 AM PDT
    • 3046 posts
    May 16, 2018 10:05 AM PDT

In Star Wars Galaxies there was a class that could hunt baby mobs in the wilds,  called the Creature Handler,    and raise them up to become hunting pets, or mounts. (before all the "iconic" changes)

I received a couple of those pets as payment,  from people that I danced for/buffed as an Elder Master Dancer. 

Entertainers would heal the mind wounds of incoming fighters and others that needed healing, inside our cantinas.   We got our buffs from the Doctor class,  we'd stand in line to pay for Doctor buffs ..which would last many hours, and help our hunting/ fighting classes. 

I don't know what the Devs have planned for Pantheon in that regard, but it would be cool if we had some of those types of interdependent class abilities where community members needed other community members,  as in SWG.  :)    

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at May 16, 2018 10:07 AM PDT
    • 3046 posts
    May 16, 2018 10:11 AM PDT

Gurt said:

Gutted said:

?

Wizard familiars are little pets that (usually) can't attack and (in most games) cannot be damaged which provides a buff to the wizard for as long as it is alive. If it dies or is unsummoned the wizard loses the buff. Summoning a familiar usually has a long cast time, a heavy cost, or can only be done in certain situations. Letting the familiar die can also sometimes come with harsh penalities such as losing a percentage of health and mana.

In Everquest Wizards had a flaming crossed swords familiar...that lived as long as the mob being attacked,  then it would poof.    Sometimes it lived long enough to attack more than one mob, when the first mob died.     That was kind of random.    It was a familiar that could be killed if..set to attack something that was stronger than the familiar could handle.  

• 1010 posts
    May 16, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

Gurt said:

Gutted said:

?

In Everquest Wizards had a flaming crossed swords familiar...that lived as long as the mob being attacked,  then it would poof.    Sometimes it lived long enough to attack more than one mob, when the first mob died.     That was kind of random.    It was a familiar that could be killed if..set to attack something that was stronger than the familiar could handle.  

Never saw that, in what expansion did it appear ? All I remember is the AA summoning a little drake pet that flew next to the wizard, helping with mana regen.

To me, wizard's familiars are magical or tied to magic, and hunting them does too much looks like pokemon with an illusion of choice for me to enjoy the sole idea.

• 154 posts
    May 16, 2018 11:14 AM PDT

To me, wizard's familiars are magical or tied to magic, and hunting them does too much looks like pokemon with an illusion of choice for me to enjoy the sole idea.

My view is that the world of Terminus is a giant living magical world where many of the creatures are magical; these creatures should have the option of being captured/tamed into Familiars for the caster classes (at the very least Wizards). As an example if I'm a newb Wizard starting out without a Familiar and I happen upon a Wisp (which most agree is magical) that can be captured/tamed into a Familiar so I can benefit from its light emitting capabilities it would behoove me to capture it as my Familiar, this would free up one of my slots so I don't need to hold a torch in dungeons or dark outside zones.  If I get lucky and find a Greater Wisp and capture/tame it I can benefit from its increased range light emitting capabilities and it would expand my stable of Familiars which could be implemented as a way to augment caster situational gear.

I can understand your comparisons to "Pokemon" but this is so much more as it provides a benefit and not the source of our powers/abilities. For me this would be a game within a game as it would give me something to do when my play time is limited and I just want to hunt creatures that are flagged as being capable of being Familiars.

Rint

This post was edited by Rint at May 16, 2018 11:15 AM PDT
    • 371 posts
    May 16, 2018 2:49 PM PDT

Never saw that, in what expansion did it appear ? All I remember is the AA summoning a little drake pet that flew next to the wizard, helping with mana regen.

End Quote

It was called the Flaming Sword of Zuxl , or something close to that, it was like a fifties level spell that I think was in the game by the Velious Era.

It seemed to act like a DOT spell that had a visible component to it in the form of a flaming sword. I found it useful when soloing and sometimes when reverse Ranger kiting; my wife was the Ranger and I was the Wizard, keeping just enough aggro to make the MOB want to chase me, while the Ranger buried arrows into the MOB. We worked together to keep it snared. The Ranger kept SOW on us and could do a little heal if I got hit once here and there. Ranger and Wizard was a good Kiting team in EQ if done carefully, and most important of all it was a lot of fun.

This post was edited by Skycaster at May 16, 2018 2:51 PM PDT
    • 1010 posts
    May 16, 2018 11:25 PM PDT

https://wiki.project1999.com/Flaming_Sword_of_Xuzl

Found it, thanks for the name. Apparently the spell comment explains by itself why I never saw it in action :/ . Seems like it was poorly tuned back then.

• 20 posts
    June 27, 2018 8:04 PM PDT

I had that spell back then. Somewhat useful when grouped. Kind of flashy, but not particularly mana efficient. DoT, Nuke, sit. When grouped as a wizard, my main job was to NOT get aggro. And to keep mana pool up for emergencies. Careful nuking, and lots of sitting, until mounts arrived.

The sword spell just about useless when soloing, or quad kiting.

• 28 posts
    June 28, 2018 5:24 AM PDT

One suggestion - make all the familiars VIABLE.

Either a) make it a random familiar you summon when you do so (although this would give less affectionate connection to familiars, I guess), with a long cooldown, so people can't just re-summon until they get what they want.

b) Change familiars with level, so a level 4 might have a book, a level 12 might have a bat, a level 24 might have a fae dragon, etc.

or

c) Make all the familiars balanced, so not every single wizard is using the Fire Dragon Familiar, because Fire is the most powerful spell wizards have at level 50. Because that's boring! 

Also, if we have a ton of familiars, one shouldn't be objectively "the best" compared to the others. 20% damage to all my spells? Yeah, ok, who cares about the other familiars then! (Boooo!)

• 254 posts
    June 28, 2018 8:51 AM PDT

I'd like a little more out-of-the-box options. An example would be to cast your familiar onto your tank's shield, showing the familiar's graphic on his/her shield and upping ac, or regen, whatever.