Forums » The Wizard

Wizards Familiar

• 602 posts
    December 22, 2016 7:29 AM PST

Ok so as someone who is looking forward to playing a Wizard I've been thinking of a Familiar for them. Unsure if this is a thing of the past, but here is my thoughts.

I'd like to be able to summon a small familiar dragon that followed me around and provided some small benefits. Some ideas of benefits:

- Small reduction in fizzel chance. 

- Allows you to go from in combat to mediating faster.

- Small increase to magic abilities and damage. 

- Cast a small damage spell. 

Now what I think would be really neat if Wizards had different Familiars they could summon that provide different benefits, and I would expect the only way to obtain these spells would be to kill off a High Wizard with a Raid group and take his/her Familiar. 

This post was edited by Saicred at December 22, 2016 7:29 AM PST
    • 916 posts
    December 22, 2016 8:09 AM PST

What would be pretty cool is if you could choose from familiars, and the different familiars gave you a different bonus.  Add a little variety to them  :)

• 164 posts
    December 22, 2016 8:20 AM PST
    Take it a step further, have a wizards order who only accepts women of a few races. The dragon minion is at the end of a chain of requirements that tests your ability to become one of the order. Just a thought, love this idea
    • 602 posts
    December 22, 2016 9:01 AM PST

kelenin said:

What would be pretty cool is if you could choose from familiars, and the different familiars gave you a different bonus.  Add a little variety to them  :)

Yup, thats kinda what I was getting at as well. I even want you to have to kill different Raid Bosses or such to get the different familiars :)

• 2708 posts
    December 22, 2016 11:18 AM PST

Even though I didn't play a Wizard in EQ, I always had a strange fascination with their familiars.

I definitely think Wizards in Pantheon should have a bunch of different familiars. And I agree it would be cool if you had to quest or raid for some of the more powerful ones. It would basically be like another piece of gear. They would be fun to show off cosmetically, but would also serve a purpose by boosting stats, resistances, dmg, etc. depending on the familiar.

Therefore, they should come in all different shapes and colors:

-Flying book

-Floating eye

-Small reanimated hand

-Fae Drake

...almost endless possibilities :)

• 1619 posts
    December 22, 2016 4:30 PM PST

It would be nice and provide some variation between wizards.

• 490 posts
    December 22, 2016 4:50 PM PST

Couldn't most of the listed benefits be attained from a simple buff?  I'm sure we have all read the long threads about pets.  Why familiars over buffs?

• 1619 posts
    December 22, 2016 5:00 PM PST

It's an artistic. It's just a buff, but with a visual flair. I like it.

• 602 posts
    December 23, 2016 12:46 PM PST

philo said:

Couldn't most of the listed benefits be attained from a simple buff?  I'm sure we have all read the long threads about pets.  Why familiars over buffs?

Well simply put... because it looks better :)

Sorry I just like the look and lore of them. Think they just add a little something something to the Wizard class myself. 

• 173 posts
    December 25, 2016 6:39 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Even though I didn't play a Wizard in EQ, I always had a strange fascination with their familiars.

I definitely think Wizards in Pantheon should have a bunch of different familiars. And I agree it would be cool if you had to quest or raid for some of the more powerful ones. It would basically be like another piece of gear. They would be fun to show off cosmetically, but would also serve a purpose by boosting stats, resistances, dmg, etc. depending on the familiar.

Therefore, they should come in all different shapes and colors:

-Flying book

-Floating eye

-Small reanimated hand

-Fae Drake

...almost endless possibilities :)

I like this thought and have been thinking about something similar for a while now. I really want some depth to the wizard class in all aspects.  I think there is a lot to explore with regions and lore and how you find familars.  I like the idea of ancient familars that take an epic type quest to obtain.  Also, Wizard Boss mobs would occasional spawn their rare familair during a fight.

• 32 posts
    December 25, 2016 8:44 AM PST

A raven or owl  please!

• 164 posts
    December 25, 2016 9:28 AM PST

Times you find in the world that double as your spell book, could have a chance to cast a spell that is written inside for a percentage of its full damage/buff amount. It would be like the use of the time causes the magic to some to.we be bottled up and overflow with random chance.

Familiars could be found, or made. The perception skill could be used to allow a wizard to find a particularly intelligent raven in the world. Have a rare chance for the wildlife in the world to be found, and "tamable" as a wizards familiar.

• 1619 posts
    December 25, 2016 10:57 AM PST

VitaKorp3n said:

Times you find in the world that double as your spell book, could have a chance to cast a spell that is written inside for a percentage of its full damage/buff amount. It would be like the use of the time causes the magic to some to.we be bottled up and overflow with random chance.

Or scrolls?

• 164 posts
    December 25, 2016 6:50 PM PST
    Oh sure, scrolls work too. Sorry about that typo, times should have read "tomes". Was typing on my phone, and autocorrect hates me...

If there were to be some sort of system in place to tame creatures from the environment, or grab special scrolls/tomes from the desk of a certain war wizard *coughAradunecottageraidcough*... It could really add to the flavor of a number of classes. Rogues could be paid handsomely to steal that special item, or perhaps a rare corpse spawn could appear, and an adventurer could loot the item that way. The other classes that have pet type mechanics could also take advantage of what ever system they come up with.
    • 1619 posts
    December 27, 2016 3:12 PM PST

From the June 2016 pet document, familiars are planned.

• 164 posts
    December 27, 2016 3:30 PM PST

Not finding that Beefcake, could you link it here? Ty!

• 1619 posts
    December 28, 2016 12:34 PM PST

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3448/pets-and-pantheon

The 6/3/2016 post from Aradune on the first page.

• 14 posts
    February 14, 2017 3:08 PM PST

Thoughts on permanent or semi-permanent familiars? I love the idea of familiars, but would like to avoid the 'trendy meta' that goes on in so many games now. Having people judge you as a player because you have X familiar out instead of the critically agreed upon Y is an unfortunate reality.

However what if there were familiars you had to stick with? Or familiars that you choose, and commit to via some sort of leveling system or attunement process? I like the idea of having a 'soulmate familiar', and not a strategic 'pokemon card'. It would definitely be a tough decision to choose mana regen, extra mobility, utility, or some other perk -- but that is what will bring uniqueness in. Thoughts?

This post was edited by Prostadamus at February 14, 2017 3:08 PM PST
    • 2561 posts
    February 18, 2017 2:48 PM PST

Small dragon pet as a familiar.  :)  Could be a buff.

• 354 posts
    February 18, 2017 6:21 PM PST

Perhaps the Wizard Familiar could be chosen only from one of the several astrological signs that are unique to Terminus. We don't know what those may be yet so it could be a great system for the Wizard.

• 18 posts
    April 29, 2017 2:54 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I definitely think Wizards in Pantheon should have a bunch of different familiars.

I love the bit on facination with familiars.  Perhaps make them mysterious to other classes in a lore style.

On multiple familiars, I just posted about arcane school specialization.  Maybe this is a way to allow the wizard to have a focus on a school of magic but not limit the utility of the wizard (eg. a frost wizard being useless in a cold environment).

Edit: Changed a thought to a quote:

Convo Said:

I think there is a lot to explore with regions and lore and how you find familiars.  I like the idea of ancient familiars that take an epic type quest to obtain.

This post was edited by Pompler at April 29, 2017 3:02 PM PDT
    • 37 posts
    June 29, 2017 1:19 AM PDT
    Give me an old dirty boot that hops around as a familiar and I'll pick it regardless of usefulness. Let's get playful!
    • 173 posts
    July 15, 2017 3:30 PM PDT
    Old dirty boot. Interesting :-)
    • 251 posts
    August 12, 2017 4:56 PM PDT

Pathetic mortal beings.  Your borrowed Magics are weak and you lack the Will to wield true Power.  Dark Power.  Pathetic Wizards have to borrow their power from demons bound to lesser forms.  At least the Warlocks used to summon a whole demon.  Even so, borrowing power is such a fool's errand.  You could simply kill the beast, consume its essence, and keep the power for yourself.  I have done so many times.  You can even turn their skeleton into a shiny new minion, or sew its head directly onto your latest Abomination.  If you save just enough of the brain matter, the winged ones can even manage flying.  Although, landing is less predictable.

It is strange, but the subservient lesser demons will continue to follow your Abomination even if it only carries a piece of their Lord.  They clearly know their Lord is dead, but they seem to feel kinship with the Abomination.  Almost like tiny Demon children.  The Abomination loves having the tiny creatures around to snack on, so I typically ignore them.  Once their bones are bare I can strengthen their joints with sinew and re-purpose them for all sorts of mundane tasks.  Even their reanimations will become attached to the Abomination though.  It seems Demons loyalty is to their Lord and only their Lord, even in Death.

It is almost as if soon, he will no longer need me at all... No... he couldn't be eating the little ones to try and reform himself as the demon Lord?  Could he..

My apologies, I will need to excuse myself.  An urgent matter has just come to my attention.

• 2561 posts
    August 13, 2017 10:30 PM PDT

ZennExile said:

Pathetic mortal beings.  Your borrowed Magics are weak and you lack the Will to wield true Power.  Dark Power.  Pathetic Wizards have to borrow their power from demons bound to lesser forms.  At least the Warlocks used to summon a whole demon.  Even so, borrowing power is such a fool's errand.  You could simply kill the beast, consume its essence, and keep the power for yourself.  I have done so many times.  You can even turn their skeleton into a shiny new minion, or sew its head directly onto your latest Abomination.  If you save just enough of the brain matter, the winged ones can even manage flying.  Although, landing is less predictable.

It is strange, but the subservient lesser demons will continue to follow your Abomination even if it only carries a piece of their Lord.  They clearly know their Lord is dead, but they seem to feel kinship with the Abomination.  Almost like tiny Demon children.  The Abomination loves having the tiny creatures around to snack on, so I typically ignore them.  Once their bones are bare I can strengthen their joints with sinew and re-purpose them for all sorts of mundane tasks.  Even their reanimations will become attached to the Abomination though.  It seems Demons loyalty is to their Lord and only their Lord, even in Death.

It is almost as if soon, he will no longer need me at all... No... he couldn't be eating the little ones to try and reform himself as the demon Lord?  Could he..

My apologies, I will need to excuse myself.  An urgent matter has just come to my attention.

Pfffft silly Necro :D