Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Sticky Targeting - Oh god please.

• 2130 posts
    December 20, 2016 10:16 AM PST

I just had this thought posting in another thread.

Is sticky targeting already implemented in Pantheon, or will it be?

Sticky targeting means that once you've targeted something, clicking on an open space won't clear your target. For instance, I click a player and then click a wall, and my target drops. Sticky targeting ensures that you stay targeted on the mob/player unless you specifically target another targetable entity.

I hate this about EQ. Often repositioning the camera will just cause you to lose your target out of the blue.

This post was edited by Liav at December 20, 2016 10:16 AM PST
    • 109 posts
    December 20, 2016 10:22 AM PST

Liav said:

I hate this about EQ. Often repositioning the camera will just cause you to lose your target out of the blue.

That would be a pain. I hope that doesn't happen in Pantheon. Lol. Assuming you repositioned by clicking and holding a mouse button?

• 2130 posts
    December 20, 2016 10:33 AM PST

Backin said:

Liav said:

That would be a pain. I hope that doesn't happen in Pantheon. Lol. Assuming you repositioned by clicking and holding a mouse button?

Yeah, LMB. Even with a really nice mouse so I could confirm it wasn't an issue there. There's also just accidental left clicks that happen when you grab your mouse.

Either way, sticky targeting solves all of that and is generally a toggle in the options of most modern games. Super convenient.

• 318 posts
    December 20, 2016 11:04 AM PST

How do you click to select a different target with "Sticky Targetting" enabled? Hit ESC to clear your current target, and then click on the new one?

I don't really remember losing my target in EQ1 ever being an issue. IIRC I would use my right mouse button to turn my camera, not the left one, but it has been a while, so I could be remembering wrong..

• 3016 posts
    December 20, 2016 11:30 AM PST

Liav said:

I just had this thought posting in another thread.

Is sticky targeting already implemented in Pantheon, or will it be?

Sticky targeting means that once you've targeted something, clicking on an open space won't clear your target. For instance, I click a player and then click a wall, and my target drops. Sticky targeting ensures that you stay targeted on the mob/player unless you specifically target another targetable entity.

Would rather the option of clicking on the ground or hitting esc to clear my target.  

• 2130 posts
    December 20, 2016 11:32 AM PST

Sticky targeting is a toggleable option in games.

Pressing escape will clear your target, clicking another target will switch targets. Clicking the ground or a wall will not clear your target.

You can turn it off and on if you don't want it.

• 3016 posts
    December 20, 2016 11:42 AM PST

I've found sticky targetting annoying at times. :)   I'd rather turn it off. 

• 563 posts
    December 20, 2016 11:44 AM PST

I'm pretty sure I've played games where a click to the group would clear the target but holding the mouse button down and moving the camera didn't.

• 2130 posts
    December 20, 2016 11:50 AM PST

Rachael said:

I'm pretty sure I've played games where a click to the group would clear the target but holding the mouse button down and moving the camera didn't.

EQ is intended to work this way. In practice, accidental misclicks and bugs happen that can cause unintentional target loss.

This post was edited by Liav at December 20, 2016 11:50 AM PST
    • 563 posts
    December 20, 2016 12:03 PM PST

Liav said:

Rachael said:

EQ is intended to work this way. In practice, accidental misclicks and bugs happen that can cause unintentional target loss.

I see, miss clicks have caused me to lose targets like that :P I personally still prefer it this way, but I also like to have the option for sticky targets as you've stated. I think it would be a great option for them to allow us to turn on/off.

• 1281 posts
    December 20, 2016 12:19 PM PST

I don't recall your target box in EQ clearing unless you targeted another npc/pc, or pressed escape. A lot of gameplay elements were mouse driven so the design of your target clearing every time you clicked the mouse I doubt would of made it out of testing phases.

I haven't played live since 2008 but I have played P99 a lot and it was never an issue. So 'non-sticking' targeting may be something they added much later in life so I don't remember that being an issue.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at December 20, 2016 12:21 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    December 20, 2016 12:28 PM PST

bigdogchris said:

I don't recall your target box in EQ clearing unless you targeted another npc/pc, or pressed escape. A lot of gameplay elements were mouse driven so the design of your target clearing every time you clicked the mouse I doubt would of made it out of testing phases.

I haven't played live since 2008 but I have played P99 a lot and it was never an issue. So 'non-sticking' targeting may be something they added much later in life so I don't remember that being an issue.

Yeah, I believe you're right. Left clicking outside of a targetable entity does indeed not drop your target. I'm logged in right now.

Welp. Either way, I still want it in Pantheon. :p

• 556 posts
    December 20, 2016 1:29 PM PST

Long as I can set my mouse wheel to swap to next target it really doesn't matter to me. Mouse wheel makes retargeting super easy :P