Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Z- Axis

• 200 posts
    December 20, 2016 9:30 AM PST

Searching through the forums, most mentions of Z-Axis are related to exploits or underwater related, however  given we saw Griffin's flying high above in the latest stream,  what is the vision for allowing you to pull those NPC's way above you in the sky and will spell ranges be driven/limited by Z-Axis?

If they are out of range of your spells, can you lure them down with your favorite bait, wait for them to path down?  Just curious and having a slow day :D

• 1404 posts
    December 20, 2016 8:31 PM PST

Warben said:

(Snip)

If they are out of range of your spells, can you lure them down with your favorite bait, wait for them to path down?  Just curious and having a slow day :D

"Favorite Bait" you mean like a low level guild newbie ?

• 3016 posts
    December 20, 2016 8:55 PM PST

Hmm what do Griffons hunt...rabbits, deer?  Can you set a trap? :)

• 500 posts
    December 21, 2016 4:12 AM PST

Hmm.. If I recall correctly, Griffons have a penchant for gnomes and halflings.  Bait problems solved ;)

• 763 posts
    December 21, 2016 4:45 AM PST

Based on my observations, it does seem that some z-axis was used (aggro of mobs on higher outcrop), but there was also an example of non-Z-axis aggro (where mobs a long way below were aggroed).

While a lot of games don't use z-axis referencing, Pantheon is to be using under-water (as you state) and hence it make sense that z-axis integration into aggro ranges, spell ranges etc will be needed. If it is done for 1 zone, it will likely be universal for all. This means that a certain caution is going to have to be taken for dungeon/vertical areas by thye developers to ensure there is equality of distance for z-axis vs x+y. I sincerely hopr z-axis is in, and robust! I.e. LOS determinations take z-axis collisions only in combination with x-axis and y-axis, not using 2 sweeps.

Old O'Grezzer's patent Griffin trap:

Place ye down the Bait:

Tie ye down a well fed gnome or halfling. (If a halfling, make sure to shave the toes)

Tactic for thee:

Stand back and await the Griffin to eat the bait!
    Wait ye a further 2 hours - then it will have a bad case of indigestion
    Upon it's landing to barf, attack it!

Tips for thee:

Poison your bait for better results!
    1 Keg of cheapest Ogre Mash will do the trick!

Excerpt from O'Grezzor's 'Book of Trapping stuff' translated by McGoogle the Seer.

• 200 posts
    December 21, 2016 8:23 AM PST

Gnomes may not be as scrumptious looking in Pantheon as they have in others, but then again it depends if Griffin's like shiny bait or not... I'm guessing halflings will fit in nicely for mobs that don't like the copper ethereal crunch provided by gnomes.

I envisioned having to send some poor agile person to the top of the ruins to jump off cliffs and ranged tag them from way above spell range if Z axis..... viva los Safefall, grappling hooks and ropes!

This post was edited by Warben at December 21, 2016 8:50 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    December 21, 2016 9:00 AM PST

Grymmlocke said:

Hmm.. If I recall correctly, Griffons have a penchant for gnomes and halflings.  Bait problems solved ;)

NOooooooo *runs away*

• 3016 posts
    December 21, 2016 9:02 AM PST

Warben said:

Gnomes may not be as scrumptious looking in Pantheon as they have in others, but then again it depends if Griffin's like shiny bait or not... I'm guessing halflings will fit in nicely for mobs that don't like the copper ethereal crunch provided by gnomes.

I envisioned having to send some poor agile person to the top of the ruins to jump off cliffs and ranged tag them from way above spell range if Z axis..... viva los Safefall, grappling hooks and ropes!

What about a wizard with levitate (or druid)  wouldn't that work? :)