Forums » The Ranger

Who's done it best thus far?

• 10 posts
    December 16, 2016 12:31 AM PST

Just curious as to what MMORPG everyone thinks has done the best job with and or has been your favorite version of a ranger class and why.

For me, as much as I hate to say it, its been the WoW hunter. I loved the ability to train and keep actual NPC animals as pets along with some of the other options they had but it was the pet training thing that initially had me hooked.

• 43 posts
    December 16, 2016 10:24 AM PST

Hope you haven't played WoW:Legion Hunter. What a monotonous trainwreck of a class. Great DPS numbers though! 

I thought Bounty Hunter in SWTOR was one of the best ranged/melee hybrids tbh. The game stunk, but I really enjoyed the class. 

• 12 posts
    December 16, 2016 9:29 PM PST

I want the Ranger class to be "Aragon" inspired. I love Aragon from the first LOTR movie. In the Mines of Moria battle, he would dual weild and fight well melee as well as use a bow and arrow to kill goblins at a range. I also like how he had the ability to track an herb to help mitigate the poison effect on Frodo when he was stabbed by the Wraith. I like how he had tracking and scouting skills.

To expand on this concept, I am fine with the Ranger able to tame animals to help with the fight. Maybe even give them some Warden like abilities, to mind control a bird for example to scout ahead (just an idea). I hope the Ranger isn't just another "Legolas" clone... It is just my preference, but I like the idea of jack of all trades for the concept of Ranger. I do hope they shine in the utility/support role. Being able to be useful in every group due to there versitility. There does need to be a necessity for them in raids as well. I hope it's not like EQ where they just acted as a weaker DPS in raids.

• 14 posts
    December 19, 2016 10:52 AM PST

Starwars Galaxies.

As a Ranger (or the lower scout class)  I could create different types of camps which protected me from wildlife and could heal other peoplein that camp. I could skin or harvest bones from animals. I got a lot of terrain negotiation so i could "climb" mountains better then other classes. 

for me the best ranger class in any mmo was in Starwars Galaxies.

Ranger is no real class, it's a life style.

This post was edited by knoote at December 19, 2016 10:53 AM PST
    • 10 posts
    December 20, 2016 1:25 PM PST

Quozzel said:

Hope you haven't played WoW:Legion Hunter. What a monotonous trainwreck of a class. Great DPS numbers though! 

I thought Bounty Hunter in SWTOR was one of the best ranged/melee hybrids tbh. The game stunk, but I really enjoyed the class. 

I haven't played WoW since about midway through Cataclysm. Its shame if the class has been turned into the mess you have claimed. I played a SWTOR Bounty Hunter going the tank route and enjoyed it but it didnt feel like a "ranger" to me.

I didn't play Star Wars Galaxies (one of the few main stream MMORPGs I haven't). It sounds like the scout class would have been really fun to play.  

As far as wanting an "Aragorn" style ranger I'd be fine with the idea if it was done well but I have yet to really see it implemented into a game. EQ1's rangers were melee based for a long time witch lead to us kinda being less usefull/desired than a rogue and we died all the time. 

• 14 posts
    December 28, 2016 2:00 PM PST

I love the Aragorn style, that being said, what about what was tried in early EQ and the old school pen a paper D&D ranger, anybody remember that? 

Lifted shamelessly from my handy dandy circa 1980's players handbook:

The Ranger

Rangers are a sub-class of fighter who are adept at woodcraft, tracking, scouting, and infiltration and spying. All rangers must be of good alignment

So that gives a good bit of light fighter, so we have duel wield, essentially handy with any blade. Also would like to be great in archery.  Essentially the consumate light fighter, which segues into the mystique of the ranger (is it druidic magic or is this guy just that good).  

Very handy moving through rough terrain (a little druid casting from the Druid Spell Line (think Spirt of the Wolf), good as a field medic (something like a tiny HoT during downtimes, that could carry over briefly into the next engagement).

Some subtly of a rogue (no backstabs or anything that would take away from the reason to run a rogue) but detect traps, sorta stealthy.  Think I read something about climbing being in the game, so great rope work, faster climbing, being able to climb certain areas that other classes could not, then at the top, drop the rope for the rest of the party use.  Mainly a melee, but just a little bit of the other stuf to make him a jack of those trades, but master of none.  

Definately no pets. 

This post was edited by Nihlist at December 28, 2016 2:06 PM PST
    • 413 posts
    January 4, 2017 6:26 AM PST

Dark Age of Camelot hands down.

The class felt right. You could be either a melee power house or a ranged dmg dealing nightmare. As a Ranger I was a master at harassing other characters in RvR (main focus of end game). I would stalk healers and casters relentlessly. I might not always kill them, but I could take them out of the fight by making them run for their lives constantly. Self buff spells that made sense for the class. Archery that felt like archery. Many different weapon specs to choose from which were all equally good.

It was a great implementation of the "Ranger".

• 10 posts
    January 6, 2017 8:47 PM PST

kellindil said:

Dark Age of Camelot hands down.

I really regret never giving that game a try. I guess there is always Camelot Unchained to make up for missing it.

• 94 posts
    January 10, 2017 7:46 PM PST

I really love the Everquest version of the ranger.  I've played a WoW hunter and loved that class up until Legion, but the EQ ranger is where it's at for me.

There are two main reasons why I love the EQ ranger even though it started out, and was for a long time, the joke class of Everquest.  In EQ's current form, the ranger has versatility and self-sufficiency.  These two factors is what has caused me to continue enjoying the class for all these years.

When EQ started, the ranger was a joke.  Throughout the years and expansions, the ranger has evolved into a class that is desired in groups and raids but can also solo and do their own thing.

If you want to group, the ranger can be the DPS, puller, tank (gear and AA dependant), and crowd control (via punting and aoe root/snare).  In a raid situation, the ranger is great at personal DPS, ADPS, survivability, and CC via punting.  Finally, if you want to be left alone or want to explore, the ranger can stay independant without the need for a box or merc toon due to their versatility.  Melee, physical range, aggro generating and shedding, and crowd control are all at the disposal of the current EQ ranger. 

Now this evolution has been from MANY years of tweaks and refinement of the class.  Since the EQ ranger has been around forever, I believe that it is the most developed class benchmark, but obviously I'm completely biased in my asssesment.  My various rangers in EQ have been in the top 5 serverwide and the bottom 5 serverwide.  I'm layed rangers solely as a solo class and also played as a melee and class leader for the top guilds in hardcore raiding.  No matter how I've played them, I've always enjoyed them.

• 10 posts
    January 11, 2017 8:11 PM PST

Radamus said:

I really love the Everquest version of the ranger.  I've played a WoW hunter and loved that class up until Legion, but the EQ ranger is where it's at for me.

Really sounds like they got their stuff together after I quit playing playing EQ. Almost makes me wanna reinstall the game and give it another go just to see everything they have improved on. I quit playing somewhere around Gates of Discord but came back briefly when Omens of War released so that I could get the new ranger epic weapon.  I dont think punting and AoE snares/roots were in the mix yet but that sounds like a bunch of fun.

This post was edited by YungMasta at January 11, 2017 8:11 PM PST
    • 168 posts
    January 13, 2017 10:12 PM PST

I liked the low level early version VG ranger.  You had 3 stances, melee, ranged and parry.  You had snares, minor heals, and some nature based dots you could throw on a mob.  As you leveled the dots become pretty weak and snares didnt seem to work alot.  Then they changed the stances so you couldn't "stance dance" between ranged and melee.  I retired my ranger around that point. 

• 61 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:42 PM PST

Quozzel said:

Empire Sniper - still log in to play that toon till this day. True Ranged - but all the same one of the best ranged classes I have played. 

I also like the Skyforge Archer - way different combat style tho - action combat doesn't really transfer over to pantheon. 

This post was edited by xaices at January 16, 2017 8:46 PM PST
    • 94 posts
    February 6, 2017 4:35 AM PST

YungMasta said:

Radamus said:

Really sounds like they got their stuff together after I quit playing playing EQ. Almost makes me wanna reinstall the game and give it another go just to see everything they have improved on. I quit playing somewhere around Gates of Discord but came back briefly when Omens of War released so that I could get the new ranger epic weapon.  I dont think punting and AoE snares/roots were in the mix yet but that sounds like a bunch of fun.

The EQ ranger class has really come into their own since EQ started.  You never see a ranger that is denid a group because they are a ranger.  While being in the top raid guild on FV, I was class leader and top 5 top on many raids with other rangers not that far behind. 

Punting is my favorite ability in EQ because it punts a mob a far distance away from whatever direction the player is facing, then it roots the mob and memblurs it.  That way the mob is out of the camp and goes about its business like nothing happens.  It has so much versatility that I almost feel like I'm cheating when using it. 

We also have the Vinelash group of spells that is an AoE snare and root.  It reall helps to derail trains and gets things under control when it gets hairy.  Using Vinelash with punt is just stupid crowd control that kicks the mobs out of the camp which chanters and shaman cannot do.

DPS side EQ rangers have multiple physical damage spells based on arrows which can hit multimple mobs, single mobs multiple times, or multiple mobs numerous times.  Rangers used to use these when headshot worked with those spells for probably the fastest AAs a toon could get in game.  That's why it was sadly nerfed to not being able to trigger headshot for any mob other than the one you are targeting.  Ranger's also have the Summer's spell like which does fire AND ice damage.  Crittable and man when they both crit it's sweet.  TBM expansion also gave rangers some seriously nutty AAs that made your burst damage comparable to a full burn wizard.  The effect has a limited numbner of charges and a long recast, but for boss fights, it's straight up the cat's meow.

Crap, now I want to go back into EQ and play again even though I swore I wouldn't over a year ago.  I hate Daybreak, but love my EQ ranger and the Ranger class.

• 6 posts
    March 12, 2017 12:57 AM PST

I liked EQ ranger, but I am definitely biased. I played that for many many years, and no other MMORPG has kept my attention for even a fraction of that amount of time.

Still, EQ ranger has changed a lot over the years. Personally, I like being situational. I mean by this, that I like the choice of being either a sniper/archer or a melee fighter depending on the situation. That is how I think the ranger is now in EQ, but it was not always so. For many years, EQ rangers were medium-armored tanks, which is what lead to all the "ranger down" jokes etc. Then, upon the release of AAs, and the Endless Quiver AA in particular, rangers became predominantly archers for several expansions. I left the game several expacks ago, but when I did, Rangers had evolved into a nice mix of both of these styles. No longer did Rangers top the DPS lists, or rarely, but they now had the option of picking their DPS style a bit more, rather than being just one or the other. The added pulling ablities helped as well, like the "punt" AA mentioned above.

I did play WoW, several times off and on over the years, and I usually ended up playing the hunter class. Part of this was ease of lvling solo. Still, I have never been a pet class lover. It was ok, but I always prefer focusing my attention on a mob etc rather than worrying about some  extra NPC such as a pet. That is a big reason I avoided Chanters and Mages in EQ1....

EQ2 pushed the ranger into too much of a "Range-dps" class for my taste, but then again, I never really got into EQ2 at all, despite several attempts...The game was just not EQish enough for me....I have been back several times to get max level and try and see how things developed, but never was able to stay long.

VGSoH: Never really got high enough to fully learn the class. I was SO into this game in the beginning. I remember waiting with baited breath on the VGRanger site for each bit of lore and the endless discussions we had on what "THE RANGER" should be.... Then the debacle happened and I was so let down and stunned, it took me years to even think about going back. When I finally did, I enjoyed the class very much, but I never found a guild or leveled up that high, so it is hard to say...

• 16 posts
    March 15, 2017 6:54 PM PDT

The one thing I really dislike in principle is a ranger with hard nature magic. I agree with the poster above who said a ranger should be a hybrid melee/ranged character with herbalism and tracking attributes. SAY NO TO MAGIC. Short of the aforementioned possibility of a campfire buff or some sort of anti-poison support. Swords, knives, bows, and guns; leather or chain; no pet-- leave that to beastlord.

This post was edited by DeviantFox at March 15, 2017 6:54 PM PDT
    • 2549 posts
    March 16, 2017 6:46 AM PDT

Surprisingly, I think the only time I played a Ranger in an MMO was in a game called Allods Online, which was more or less a WoW clone. Although the Ranger in that game was not as pet-dependent as the WoW Ranger. It was the only game that I really felt drawn to the class. I think it was because a lot of higher level zones were contested between opposing PvP factions (which I'm really not a fan of btw, but I went with it) and Rangers had a lot of snares and traps that allowed you to kill most people before they could reach you. And if I remember correctly, their camoflauge made it a lot easier to ambush people. I rarely enjoy that kind of playstyle, but something about it felt right in that game.

• 9 posts
    March 19, 2017 1:03 PM PDT

Class balance and power aside.  I enjoyed the Guild wars 2 Ranger the most.

You commune with nature. Can heal your friends in need, Lay traps to snare your foes. Follow all that up with bow shots to the face... OR UNLEASH THE BEAST AND TAKE OUT YOUR 2H SWORD OF DEATH AND PROCEED TO SLAUGHTER YOUR TRAPPED PREY MUHAHAHAHAHAH!!!.....well I mean I for one enjoyed the Gw2 ranger Play style. 

All that being said. I do not like rangers being a pet class. Things to buff/debuff animals sure. But pet managment can be a pain.

This post was edited by Itchen at March 19, 2017 1:08 PM PDT
    • 94 posts
    March 21, 2017 8:36 AM PDT

Itchen said:

...pet managment can be a pain.

Completely agree.  While the idea is neat, the implementation can be a mess.  If Pantheon goes the WoW route, we end up being archers and the melee route = an EQ beastlord.  I don't really know how Pantheon would be able to create a Ranger class that can range AND melee without having the player overwhelmed by all the different abilities for either play-style and having to manage a pet.

Who knows though.  Maybe Pantheon can pull it off if they decide to go that route.  Still waiting to see how Pantheon defines the class first.

• 2549 posts
    March 21, 2017 12:30 PM PDT

Radamus said:

Itchen said:

...pet managment can be a pain.

Completely agree.  While the idea is neat, the implementation can be a mess.  If Pantheon goes the WoW route, we end up being archers and the melee route = an EQ beastlord.  I don't really know how Pantheon would be able to create a Ranger class that can range AND melee without having the player overwhelmed by all the different abilities for either play-style and having to manage a pet.

Who knows though.  Maybe Pantheon can pull it off if they decide to go that route.  Still waiting to see how Pantheon defines the class first.

Check out this thread about Brad's plans for pet implementation:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3448/pets-and-pantheon/view/page/1

Also, this thread contains more pet insight from Brad and specifically regarding Rangers, he said they will likely not have permanent pets like they do in WoW: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3470/-/view/page/3

This post was edited by Bazgrim at March 21, 2017 12:32 PM PDT
    • 54 posts
    March 29, 2017 4:10 AM PDT

One thing i liked in GW2 ranger was the way you acquired pets, finding them in the world and taming them. I think it's the best way to be proud of your pet, remembering what you had to go through to get it. Then one thing other games do is a pet leveling system, with its skills being activated at a given level, which would not always be your own level, but an independant one. Some games make pets level by killing mobs, but you could consider training them another way too, maybe a more fun way like teaching it tricks yourself or with some environment (target practise, parkour, sub-quests).

Cheers

• 596 posts
    March 30, 2017 8:36 AM PDT

I like the EQ ranger they were very skilled in range and close combat, which a ranger is in lore, they don't have much of a weakness other than not being able to take many hits directly due to the armor they normally wear which is either very light metal or leather so they can keep on catching up or out running their prey.  as for the WoW aspect i wouldn't mind to see a pet but i wouldn't want to see it being able to tank very well as this made hunters very powerful and were soloing machines back than.  But back tot he EQ aspect they had a ton of utility by gaining buffs that they only got like Callof the Predator and things like this which only added to the alrdy very utility based class they they were.  I would love for this to continue for them in pantheon.

• 27 posts
    June 13, 2017 3:26 PM PDT

EQ ranger was my favorite. GW2 ranger was fun as well. The Daoc ranger was great as well but for some reason when the game went live after a year of alpha and beta i decided on the Warden... Despised the Wow hunter class. Certainly no ranger in my book. Eq2 ranger was ok really needed to use both melee and archery interchangeably which was odd switching back and forth all the time when timers were up on abilities.

• 10 posts
    October 16, 2017 7:14 PM PDT

Old D&D / forgotten realm games like never winter nights is the only game that truly got the Ranger right game to todays standard might suck but the class was done right.

Next would be DAOC Rangers on Hibernia side. Duel wielding/ bow class they would start fight with bow and finish with there celtic duel skills, and had minor buffs str/dex and a armor def buff since they where limited to studed armor and they had minor evade skills evade 3 which was 4 evades lower then a evade class like nightshade, infiltrator, or shadowblade which were assasin classes.

EQ rangers was great at the start I think they had them right with bow then swap to melee or in a dungeon crawl using melee duel wielding they just did not have them tuned right so they were way weak. Groups found out in raids rangers were enough dps and did not bring any benefit to the raid like a bard or a monk or a any other class that had utility. Rangers utility was for soloing had nothing for grp since every other class had higher and better buffs,heals and so on then the Ranger. EQ Rangers was to much of a hybrid and made every part of them weaker then the parent class which was Warrior and Druid. Original EQ Rangers Rangers had the highest Offence skill matched with warrior but yet did way less dps was poor tuning. It wasn't until EQ made there bow skills in POP and beyond one of the top dps skills like other top dps classes and there skills, like rogues BS.

XX

• 321 posts
    October 29, 2017 8:00 PM PDT

Put this in the wrong spot.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at October 29, 2017 8:03 PM PDT