Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Defensive Targeting

• 2130 posts
    December 15, 2016 2:18 PM PST

Quick question. In the last livestream, we can see a functional defensive target system. However, it seems as though defensive targeting is limited to group/raid(?) members?

The reason I say that is because I didn't notice an actual separate defensive target window, only that group members get a blue outline and a blue target ring.

If that is the case, how will targeting people outside of groups function? Just a target ring?

• 633 posts
    December 15, 2016 3:18 PM PST

Good question.  It would be nice to understand its functionality.  Right now I'm assuming it will work like it did in Vanguard, which means that whoever you click is your defensive target, grouped or not.  The thing that I noticed is when the shaman pet became targetted, the target circle was red, like it was an offensive target.  I'm guessing that just wasn't finished being implemented yet.

• 9115 posts
    December 15, 2016 4:45 PM PST

It is in its early stages as you are aware so there is only the basic implementation at this point, I can target any PC (talking PvE only here) and any NPC (offensive/aggressive mobs that can be attacked) in or out of groups/raids, we don't have any UI elements showing that, though, and I am not sure if we will, but I will have a chat to the team and see if I can get any further information on this for you folks. ;)

• 2130 posts
    December 15, 2016 4:48 PM PST

Kilsin said:

It is in its early stages as you are aware so there is only the basic implementation at this point, I can target any PC (talking PvE only here) and any NPC (offensive/aggressive mobs that can be attacked) in or out of groups/raids, we don't have any UI elements showing that, though, and I am not sure if we will, but I will have a chat to the team and see if I can get any further information on this for you folks. ;)

Nice, yeah, I saw the Offensive Target window in the top right and figured it would be nice to have a Defensive Target equivalent just like Vanguard.

Thanks for the info.

• 9115 posts
    December 16, 2016 1:55 AM PST

I spoke to our CTO Daniel Krenn and he said that at this stage it will just show as a defensive ring on the target, but we may end up adding a defensive target panel to the UI later if it's needed he is just trying to keep everything minimal so there's not too much clutter at this stage of development.

You're welcome. :)

• 1618 posts
    December 17, 2016 11:27 AM PST

Not sure about the exact definitions of offensve and defensive targeting. But, will there by "implicit" targeting, like in EQ2? 

In that system, you target someone, such as the tank. When you target harmful spells, it automatically  attacks the tanks target/opponent. When you cast a beneficial spell, such as a heal or buff, it lands on your target, the tank.

Ths really helps keep the DPSers focused on the right mob so they are not breaking mez and allows healers to dps and heal without switching targets. 

Of course, it causes a lot of problems when the tank/target has to rotate through mobs to ensure agro or something else.

Of course, now that I read more about the defensive and offensive targeting, it sounds like it will effectively do similar.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at December 19, 2016 1:15 AM PST
    • 35 posts
    December 18, 2016 9:50 AM PST

Defensive targetting was about the only reason you could play Disciple and Blood Mage in Vanguard and not end up with a serious hand injury or go insane. 

It was a wonderful mechanic. Very much hope it gets into the game, and that the healers mirror what they had in Vanguard. IMHO, that's something Vanguard did VERY well.